Best Buy recalling TomTom LE's?

I just talked to a best buy employee today after seeing his store had some TomToms back in stock. He said that the LE's are being recalled because there were numerous problems with a batch of units. Problems he said were freezing screens and a bad hard drive. I am not sure if this recall is true or not or if its just for BestBuy stores.

well seeing how there is no Hard Drive (just RAM) in the TT1 LE the employee is wrong on at least one point.

I just talked to a best buy employee today after seeing his store had some TomToms back in stock. He said that the LE's are being recalled because there were numerous problems with a batch of units. Problems he said were freezing screens and a bad hard drive.
I am not sure if this recall is true or not or if its just for BestBuy stores.

Its only sold at bb stores.

There is no HD - it's all flash memory.

That being said, the firmware that shipped on many LE's had issues. I had one of those and the latest upgrade from the TT website fixed it up and it's been running perfectly for the last month.

That being said, the firmware that shipped on many LE's had issues. I had one of those and the latest upgrade from the TT website fixed it up and it's been running perfectly for the last month.

I echo itguy05's response....

What were the firmware problems, and which upgrade are you referring to that fixed the problems? The main complaint I have with mine is that it still takes a couple minutes to lock onto a satellite signal.

dave

If you call tomtom's customer service, they can tell you whether your model number is one that can be exchanged or not for a new one. You may get one that finds satellites quicker.

If its just the firmware issue and has been fixed with the update then all should be good. It sucks though cause they wont sell those units to me and the LE's are sold out everywhere.

What were the firmware problems, and which upgrade are you referring to that fixed the problems? The main complaint I have with mine is that it still takes a couple minutes to lock onto a satellite signal.

The firmware was the latest I downloaded through the Home application. I don't recall the exact version, but it was there waiting for me. :)

Mine seems to be OK at acquiring the signal - all my GPS's (built in the car, Garmin handheld, and Tomtom) can take a couple minutes to find the satellite if you leave them off for a day or more. The QuickGPSFix is supposed to help, but I have not kept up with it as I should.

Hope that helps!

Ask a Question