Aussie Post Codes

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720

I'm in Melbourne and with suburbs popping up within suburbs it gets dificult at times to navigate to a addrress.
E.g. I was given an address to go to in Essendon and it turned out to be Aberfeldie, which to some is known as Essendon.

I would prefer to navigate to a postcode as these are unique to an area.

When I select navigate to postcode and enter the postcode my 720 doesn't recognise any postcodes.
Also while travelling and entering a new postcode area, an Aussie flag is shown on the screen.
Is it possible to navigate to postcodes in OZ and is it possible to show the postcode numbers on the screen instead of the flag.

I'm reluctant to fiddle any more with the machine 'till I know it's actually capable of being set this way.

RR

Honestly, I'm not sure how much feedback you're going to get on this forum since most posters reside in North America and therefore aren't acquainted with the Aussie system of postal codes.

I can only relate how it works for me in Canada. If I navigate to-->address-->zip code, I initially see a Canadian flag as that area of North America utilized for my last navigation. I don't believe your Aussie map comes with the New Zealand as well, does it? If not, then it makes sense to show the Aussie flag as that is the only map installed.

(If I want an American zip code, I first have to tap on the Canadian flag and then I see a choice of US States to select from. An interesting question is what if I don't know what State. Then, essentially the function is useless).

For Canadian postal codes, like British (and I think Aussie), the code is a combination of letters and numbers like this: ANA NAN. The 720 is set to only use the 1st 3 characters (ANA) unlike the British file which, to my understanding, narrows down to 6 or 7 characters. So, for us, once we key in ANA, we then have to decide on a street in that general area .... again, not too functional.

And, yes, when I key in the first character, if there is no 3 character combo in the file starting with that letter, then I'm presented with cities in various provinces starting with that letter.

As to your reference to a street in a different city .... earlier NA maps suffered from the equivalent thing, if I understand you correctly, in that I would actually have to first select what was essentially a suburb of a city that the street actually resides in. The cure for that, as such, was upgrading to a higher level map (in my case, 8.10 from 7.10).

Lastl, as to why your unit doesn't appear to recognize Aussie postal codes??? Perhaps the postal code file is corrupt. I know that the odd British poster in a Brit forum was able to be sent a proper postal file in an email from British TomTom support.

Perhaps a pin reset? Or, nothing to lose, try the Clear Flash tool from here: http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4
or, a bit more drastic, reset to factory settings.

Make sure you do a full Explorer backup prior to doing the latter ... just in case.

Finally, have you called TT Support in Australia? The number is: 1300 135 604.

Good luck.

Thanks again for the reply:

Australia has only 6 states and one territory. All the states are divided into suburbs, just like you guys I suppose . Melbourne is the capitol city of the state of Victoria. Melbourne's postcode is 3000.

The state of Victoria is divided into many sudivisions (cities or suburbs, same thing) therefore
Melbourne is in effect, although the capitol city of Victoria also a suburb/city (of Victoria).
Generally though when we here speak of suburbs we usually refer to them as suburbs of Melbourne. Cofused yet? Well you should try living here lol. Really though, we as you love our country very much. Actually, I believe Canada is very much like Australia.
Throughout Australia these state subdivisions (or suburbs) are designated a four digit postcode.
In Victoria, all suburbs have four numbers generally beginning with the number three. My suburb, Hillside (a suburb of Melbourne) is 3037.
Trouble is, often new suburbs are created within exsisting suburbs which makes trying to find an address in TT sometimes a little difficult.
It would be more coveniant for me to;
Navigate to> postcode> street name> house number
or atleast have that option to do so.
Now since my TT720 doesn't recognise postcodes, I don't have that option.

You suggest to contact TT for an answer, well I'm afraid the only place I think I'll get an informed answer is from people like you, the user!
Last time I spoke to TT support here they told me that TT in Australia did not have Voice recognition, so how can I trust them.

Mt TT720 says 'Postcode' as I drive into a new postcode area and displays a little Australian flag to indicate such. I'd like the post code number to be displayed instead of that little flag.

Sorry for being logwinded, I'm sure you don't need a geography lesson.

RR.

Generally though when we here speak of suburbs we usually refer to them as suburbs of Melbourne. Cofused yet? Well you should try living here lol.

Actually, I had the opportunity to vist Melbourne for a couple of days in early September. We used a tomtom one in our rental car to get to some places we needed to get to, like our hotel, an industrial park in Lillydale and, oh yeah, the Crowne! :D

Actually, I had the opportunity to vist Melbourne for a couple of days in early September. We used a tomtom one in our rental car to get to some places we needed to get to, like our hotel, an industrial park in Lillydale and, oh yeah, the Crowne! :D

Now you can tell everyone that there really are NO Kangaroo's jumping around the city streets!
Lillydale? did you go for a ride on the Puffing billy?
Too bad you only had a couple of days but I hope you enjoyed it.
I recently spent two months in America (Missouri) and thought it was great.
Unfortunately my friend there was too sick to travel but it would have been cool to visit Canada, maybe next time.

Catch ya!

RR

On our drive from Lillydale to Melbourne airport, we did spot the 'roos out in a valley off the highway. It was a treat for Canadians to see kangaroos in other than a zoo.

Ask a Question