ALG yet for CANADA?

TomTom Model(s)
GO730
I have not visited here for a long time. My current map on my 730 is North America 2GB 8.101907 with App 8.010. I had purchased this with the assurance from TT that it contained ALG for Canada. When we determined that this was not the case I was promised a free new map whenever ALG for Canada did come about. What is the latest map version for NA and does it now contain ALG for Ontario/Canada?

I got some shots (4) of ALG in the Maritimes in map 835 North_America. As far as I can tell, still no ALG anywhere else in Canada, especially the GTA.

Maybe in 840 due in November.......:eek:

There is some ALG in Nova Scotia on the Trans Canada Highway, but this amounts to a graphic coming up showing you the exit ramp. when I was in Halifax a while back there wasn't any ALG in the city. Also on a recent trip from Moncton to Northern NB I didn't see any ALG either.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to take a trip to Montreal and to Boston in February. I can follow up as to what I find then.

My initial impression of the ALG in NS was that it was nothing more than a picture of a 2 lane highway and off ramp with a graphic of the road sign.

J

I have seen nothing in and around halifax either or in my area of elmsdale/shubenacadie.

I find it kind of odd that there would be ALG at such minor exits as those in the pictures DHN posted.

am I wrong when I think you won't see any ALG at any exit unless you're planning on actually taking that exit??

also there is an option to turn off ALG. mine was off and I've just reset it.

Yes, they're only visible when you take a route because otherwise they wouldn't know what lane to direct you to.

There is -- or should be -- a setting to hide (or show) lane images.

I live in Edm and purchsed the 630 in Edmonton in April. Was interested in the ALG and was a little dissapointed that its not avail in Canada yet. Funny too cause the salesman said it was avail and he uses it all the time. Whatever! I like the 630 a step up from my One.
I used it when I went to Cali and as soon as I crossed the border into US the ALG was workin. I was excited at first but once I got into LA it got very annoying. At every freeway overpass it would always come up with " Stay in the Left lane " even though I knew I had many more KM to go!
So long story short its not all Fireworks I thought it was gonna be!

Sorry it took so long to get back on this. Well I have made several trips down to Nova Scotia and a trip up to Montreal. Keeping in mind I didn't stop at every exit, here's what I found.

I found no AlG between Moncton and Montreal and within Montreal. I did however find some along the Trans Canada Highway in Nova Scotia. I found ALG at the Masstown exit as well as all the exits I took in Pictou County. Again I didn't get off at all the exits but I can only assume all of them work.

Now I've just updated the maps today, not sure if more ALG was included in this map set. I know that the ALG that I did see wasn't included in the map set previous to the last one.

J

Any news on ALG in Canada yet?

Significant improvements in the 845 map. I've seen a bunch of them on the 401, 407, 400 and understand the Queen E has many added.

TomTom did say that 42,000 miles of Canadian roads were enhanced with 845 so I guess they're right .... as far as ALG is concerned, anyway.

I saw somw yesterday on the 403, and 407 with the 825 map. Prior to that no luck so it does seem they are working on it!

850 map ALG all across 401 WB Pickering to 427 and most of QEW.
It did not display at the Burlington St/Woodward Ave in Hamilton.

It did not display ALG when using the collectors (weaving the pattern for best flow).

At no point were lane images shown.

It did not display ALG when using the collectors (weaving the pattern for best flow).
At no point were lane images shown.
Well, yesterday and today the lane arrows displayed when it wanted me to move to the express lanes at exactly the same spot where it only showed the heavy (next turn) jotting arrow in the past.

Also yesterday, while I was approaching exits it showed the exit lane as the only acceptable one.
Trouble is that it was for the NB exit before the overpass and didn't wait until the NB exit only lane physically ended and the SB lane should have now been shown.
The drive view showed the the proper clover leafing after the overpass.

SWMBO said that she would have followed the instruction as she has no idea what N/S/E or W is and since the name of the road was OK.
If I were in a completely unfamiliar area and it would be overcast I might just as well get into trouble.

Funny as it is, today while crossing an expressway to take the on ramp, it displayed proper lane guidance on the city street.

I picked up the 730 last weekend and drove half way from Montreal to Quebec city and back and didn't notice the ALG once, at least not the big flashy sign they show in the demo on the TT website.

Actually it told me verbally to stay in the left lane a couple times when I would have been completely lost to have wandered into an exit lane when the GPS said I had 20 km to go to my next exit.

I picked up the 730 last weekend and drove half way from Montreal to Quebec city and back and didn't notice the ALG once, at least not the big flashy sign they show in the demo on the TT website.
Advanced Lane Guidance are the arrows at the left bottom that represent the lanes on the current bit of road.
The solid arrows are the permissible ones to get to the programmed destination, the dashed ones are to be avoided (else my explanation above about the NB/SB exit off the highway would not have made sense).

The big flashy signs are called Reality View. There are very few of those in Canada yet.

This is a good explanation of that it is supposed to be although mine now displays a mix of (1) and (2), no reality view.

Arno, Arno, Arno...

Come on. Two parallel moose tracks don't REQUIRE ALG! The pointy ends of the tracks face forward when you're on the right-hand side of the track!

(Ducking!):p

Maybe got the moose but how about the dumb Canada Geese?? :eek::eek:

They wander EVERYWHERE!!!

So, tell me, with which TomTom model will you equip the meese when they are trying to cross the 14 lane 401 in TO?
Depends on the moose. I'm wondering if they'll import the GO1000 to North America for those big boys with the 72" racks?

Ask a Question