Accessing the Traffic menu on an XXL 540T?

- et -

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540, GO Live 1535, GO 620
Am I missing something, or is it only possible to access the Traffic menu on an XXL 540T when the antenna/car charger is plugged in to the car and charging?

I just purchased an XXL 540T and attempted to set up a Home-Work route for traffic reporting, but when I went into the TomTom Services menu and pressed the Traffic option, the menu system told me that I need to plug in the Traffic Receiver (antenna/charger). It then switched back to the Services menu. I connected the antenna to the 540T, but continued to get the same behavior until I went out to my car and plugged the antenna/charger into the socket in the car.

I confirmed that this is the issue by going to my car and repeating my attempt to access the Traffic menu with the antenna/charger connected to the 540T but not plugged in to the car. The behavior was the same - no success. With no other action or changes, I then plugged the antenna/charger into the car, and again pressed the Traffic button. This time the traffic menu opened up and I was able to set up a Home-Work route without a problem.

This was only a minor inconvenience, but on occasion I would prefer to be able to access the Traffic menu while not in my car. Is there any way to do this when not plugged in to the car?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Afraid not. That's the way the combo antenna/traffic info on the unit is designed to work together.

Am I missing something, or is it only possible to access the Traffic menu on an XXL 540T when the antenna/car charger is plugged in to the car and charging?

To make it work, I use a (spare) motorcycle battery and a battery plug adaptor.

I'd insert a picture of the setup with the plug, but am stymied as to how to do it. Anyway, just gotta make sure the battery (+) is hooked up to the (+) side of connector.

Works great for me.

Alfie, any time you want to post a photo, an easy way is submit it to a file sharing site like photobuckets or flicker and copy the image tag and paste in a post you make here.

I use a 120VAC to 12VDC car lighter adapter.
It looks basically like this:
AC2LIGHTER2.jpg

Alfie, any time you want to post a photo, an easy way is submit it to a file sharing site like photobuckets or flicker and copy the image tag and paste in a post you make here.

Thanks dhn for the helpful hint. I must be TTF-challenged because cut/paste doesn't work for me from my FlickR account. I've even tried two different computers (XP and Win7/64 bit) for two days but only get a greyed-out paste from a right-click. Also have attempted the "Insert Image" with imputting the URL but alas, only get the red "X" box.

I'll probably give it a rest for awhile but will eventually try to learn how to do it. :confused:

I use a 120VAC to 12VDC car lighter adapter.
It looks basically like this:
AC2LIGHTER2.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion.

300 milliamps rated output seems marginal, so I think I'll get one rated a little higher, but that approach should do exactly what I want.

Thanks again.

To make it work, I use a (spare) motorcycle battery and a battery plug adaptor.

, , , just gotta make sure the battery (+) is hooked up to the (+) side of connector.

battery connector.jpg

Works great for me!

Last edited:

Ask a Question