? about go2535tm

Hi everybody,i just ordered the go 2535tm and was wondering if anyone else that has this unit can give me some feedback on how they like it and how well it performs.I have a xxl540 right now and really like it but thought it was time for an upgrade.Any input would be greatly appreciated,thanks for any replies in advance.

I bought myself the VIA 1535tm, and I find it's slow, sometimes non-responsive, ...

So I would like some feedback on the GO2535tm, might switch it out then.

Tomtom's newer software has been a bit slower lately. They are trying to pack more features into the same speed CPU, and they've been so busy with building missing features that they haven't had time to focus on better software tuning.

If I were to rank speeds of the 5" models, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being fastest) I'd say:

10/10 - XXL 540 with app 8.x
8/10 - XXL 550 with app 9.x
6/10 - XXL 540 with app 9.x
4/10 - GO 2505 TM with app 10.x
3/10 - GO 2535 M LIVE with app 10.x

I haven't used a GO 2535TM nor a VIA, so I don't know where those models fit. My guess based on the ratio of features to CPU is that the GO 2535TM is a 4 and VIA is a 2. If Best Buy and/or Target put them on display, I'll play with them a bit and let you know.

I'm hoping that Tomtom has a chance to better tune their app 10.x software once some of the MyTomtom issues die down.

Last edited:
I don't understand how these new models are slow considering that they have a very fast ARM11 processor.

From what I have read on other forums these processors on Garmins are really fast.

I currently have a TomTom 140S which has a 266MHz processor, so I've been hoping that these new units would be blazing fast.

My guess: Tomtom's been so busy building features and dealing with bugs, that they haven't had time to tune the software.

Hopefully it's on their todo list.

Ughh.. so this thing is going to have SLOWER routing and map scrolling than my GO 730? (Referring to 2535M here)..

How is screen refresh rate during movement?

Ughh.. so this thing is going to have SLOWER routing and map scrolling than my GO 730? (Referring to 2535M here)..

How is screen refresh rate during movement?

That's not my experience at all with the Go1000 and a Via compared to older models.

The routing is INCREDIBLY quicker,

Lands End to John to Groats is about the longest route you can do in the UK - right from one end of England to the top of Scotland.
To calculate (fastest) route and to write the instructions:

On a Go 940 - 1 minute 5 seconds
On a Go 1000 - 16 seconds!

The time taken to redraw the map after I scroll with my finger is much less too.

Routing is much faster, as the entire GO 2xxx series has "turbo routing", which significantly speeds up route calculations.

I never noticed a problem with refreshes on the GO2535, it's at least 2-3 times per second, usually much faster.

What is slow is browse map responsiveness, and menu responsiveness. This appears a tad bit faster than app 9.x on the GO740, but not by much. The GO 2535 is much slower than the GO 730, whose speed I'd rate a 12 on the prior scale.

Including the GO models, I'd rate UI speed (excluding routing speed) as:

12/10 - GO 730 with app 8.x
12/10 - GO 740 with app 8.312
8/10 - GO 2535 M LIVE browse map with app 10.x
8/10 - GO 2505 TM browse map with app 10.x
8/10 - GO 740 browse map with app 9.x
8/10 - XXL 550 with app 9.x
4/10 - GO 2505 TM menu interface with app 10.x
3/10 - GO 2535 M LIVE menu interface with app 10.x
2/10 - GO 740 menu interface with app 9.x

Last edited:
No you are not. Both Andy_P and mvl said map routing is faster, map browsing is slower in the 1X models

:sad:
I got 2 conflicting opinions here, perhaps..

So is map browsing slower or faster? :)
The question would be "slower or faster than what?" The OP refers to the 540, and mvl notes that there are two different scenarios with that model - depends on firmware. Using the 540 with 8.x firmware as the benchmark, mvl says the 2535 is slower. Comparing it to the 540 with 9.x firmware, however, he shows the 2535 as faster.

8/10 - GO 2535 M LIVE browse map with app 10.x

I think we need a definition of what you mean by "map browsing".

My Go1000 definitely draws all the roads and adds the POI icons slightly quicker than my Go940

If I ask it to show me the default view of my home area at the same scale and with one POI category selected (cash dispensers) then drag the screen down with my finger they both re-draw the screen in about 1.5 -2 seconds, but the complete map and POIs are re-drawn slightly quicker on the Go1000

By map browsing I mean how fast/smooth does the map load and scroll in the "browse map of route" function.

When I use my finger to scroll left, right, zoom in, etc.

2535M vs GO 730 model here.

Well, as I say, for me the new models are the same or faster at map scrolling, dragging, zooming etc.

The way map scrolling works, the Tomtom recognizes the scrolled map then has to redraw the rest of the missing map.

Most Tomtoms are responsive realtime to scrolling and zooming, but once done different models do the redraws at different speed.

When I say map speed, I'm talking about the redraws. So the GO730 is faster than the GO2535 at the redraws.

So I think you are saying that the Go x40/x50 models were slower at re-draws than the Go x20/30 (something I've always suspected) and that the increased processing power of the x000 models has only gone some way to restoring the speed that has been lost.

I don't have a Go 730 but I could dig out my old Go 720 and compare all three, but when I put a stopwatch on the GO940 and Go1000, the re-draw time differences were small but the 1000 was definitely faster.

On the 940, the background is drawn first, then the road network and then the place names. You can see the separate steps.

But on the Go1000 it is more of a single action with everything seeming to be being drawn together.

I could video it if you like?

Yes, app 8.x was much faster at the browse-map redraws.

You can downgrade your 940 to app 8.310 and see what I mean.

Just finished a 3500miles roadtrip across the US with the VIA 1535TM.
Have to say, it's really good where it matters, in the actual guiding you, redrawing routes, finding satellites, voice commands, ...
From the moment you go in the menu's though, that's where it gets slow.
Sometimes you press something, and you have to wait a second or two for it to react and going to the next page.
Same with typing city names, streets, ...
It just feels sluggish.
Once you have the route set-up, nothing can throw the tomtom, no matter how many wrong turns you make. Even if you have a 3000mile route in there, recalculating is done in a fraction of a second.
If they can do something about the speed in the menus, then it would be a top device!

Used the 2535TM for the first time.

Like the voice guidance. A bit better than Susan in the XL340TM:)

The satellite lock is slow compared to 340.

The photo radar alarm did not work like 340.

The screen is much brighter.

Voice command a bit flaky.

Ask a Question