Please help with GO2535TM

TomTom Model(s)
none
I am trying to decide if I should purchase the 2535TM but I hear that the battery issues are a major problem. Does anyone know if this battery issue has been fixed? I assume it is a design issue since it is a new clip set-up but maybe a software fix can help?? Does anyone have a 2535TM that actually works ok?

What battery issues have you heard about? ALL TomTom units are designed to be used with car chargers and that's why one is provided in the package when you buy one.

That said, when you first buy a unit, you may get about 2 hrs worth of power on battery alone. That decreases over time but, as I said, use the car charger.

There are battery issues all over the internet?? In fact, here is a post from another member last year....any update on this is helpful.....

I think most users are aware (or will become aware) of the battery issues linked to the 1XXX and 2XXX series TomTom's.

Just do an internet search for 'Tomtom 1000, 2505, 2535 battery issues' and many results will appear..

The battery will initially work just fine, and then within several months it will completely die and stop charging all together. After that, the Tomtom will only operate via a plugged in connection via the USB data cable for your computer, an AC connection, or the Car Adapter..

I can only think of two possible causes for the battery issue:

1. The charging circuit was poorly engineered so it does not detect battery peaks or regulate the proper voltage. In other words, the charging system slowly kills the battery as soon as you use the product.

2. The latest Navcore (or a previous Navcore) introduced a software bug that messes up the way the battery power is regulated.. Possibly linked to the controls that preserve battery power or the new option to "keep the unit powered after external power is disconnected".

Either way, this is a serious problem. If the glitch is in the engineering, then there is no way to fix this :eek:

Even worse, the battery is not meant to be replaced for these Tomtoms..

Is there any evidence that Tomtom is doing anything to address this issue?? Other than us having to send in our TomToms for continual battery replacement???

I've had one well over a year. I just pressed the power button. Guess what? It turns on. :)

Do you see the list of TomToms I have under my flag avatar? The M functionality means nothing as far as the hardware works and the T (lifetime Traffic **only** works when the unit is plugged into the cig receptacle with the combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger).

Not sure where this is headed, but there were indeed a larger than normal number of battery failures on the early 2535 units, but we haven't been hearing of those for quite some time now. The 'new design' wasn't the problem - it was just a bad run of battery packs.

Please don't repeat your posts.

I don't know what failures you are talking about. You said you read they ALL fail within a few months. I replied that mine, which is over a year old, has not had a battery failure.

So, you asked the question again (which I deleted). If you don't like answers, don't ask the questions!!

dhn, the reason why I placed the question in another area was because I thought more people would see it in another area since you are basically providing useless information. I did not say ALL failed. I clearly said that I hear that the battery issues are a major problem. You were oblivious to this issue when all you need to do is search the interest. Then, I clearly posted a previous comment about the battery issues, and you said “I've had one well over a year. I just pressed the power button. Guess what? It turns on?”. Does that really answer the question?

Fortunately, a fellow member stated that it likely a bad batch of batteries.

Do you work for TomTom???

None of us work for TomTom.

We have a clear policy not to allow repeated topics on this forum, all that does is cause confusion as people start to reply in both places and the discussion gets fractured.

All dhn was trying to get across was that when you wrote:
The battery will initially work just fine, and then within several months it will completely die and stop charging all together. After that, the Tomtom will only operate via a plugged in connection via the USB data cable for your computer, an AC connection, or the Car Adapter..
....you were wrong to imply that it happened to all units.

I nearly replied to say that my Go1000 had none of those problems either. Glad I didn't now; I might have got my head bitten off too.

I think it comes down to dhn replying using similar bold assertions as you used (mistakenly) in your first posts.

Please show me where i implied it happened in ALL units? My question was simply “I am trying to decide if I should purchase the 2535TM but I hear that the battery issues are a major problem. Does anyone know if this battery issue has been fixed? I assume it is a design issue since it is a new clip set-up but maybe a software fix can help?? Does anyone have a 2535TM that actually works ok?

I than copied a previous members post into my post to show dhn where I heard of the battery issue.
Did I bite someone’s head off??

None of us work for TomTom, and the 'battery issue' you keep reading about is old news... that, from the 'fellow member' (moderator like dhn, actually) who replied earlier.

Ask a Question