910 music choppy after a few hours

TomTom Model(s)
I use an fm transmitter on my 910 to listen to music/directions though the car stereo. Prior to the v7 update while playing mp3's via the 910 after a few hours my map would freeze/lag and the music would keep playing perfectly. Now with v7 installed, it is the opposite. The map keeps updating normally while driving, but after a few hours the music starts to get choppy. If I change the screen to the menu its no longer choppy but continues after I return to the map.

The only way I fix this is by turning off the 910 and turning it back on. I have tried resetting the unit and even used the "flash" tool. It seems like the memory gets "bogged" down or full after using it as a gps (duh) and a mp3 player at the same time. I thought the 910 is supposed to be powerfull unit?? Any help or suggestions?

No one ever responds to me...:(

Is that because I am the only one who experiencing this problem? Has no one ever had this or heard of this? Please Help!!! I need to turn off and turn back on (reboot) 2-3 times in an 8 hour day to keep the music playing without "skipping". :eek:

Sorry I over looked this post.

Could you tell us more about your unit.

How much space is taken up?
how many POIs do you have enabled?
How many MP3s do you have installed?

Sorry I over looked this post.

Could you tell us more about your unit.

How much space is taken up?
how many POIs do you have enabled?
How many MP3s do you have installed?

No problem Pedro, I figure its easy to over look posts. I do appreciate the response now

I have 10.3 GB free...though only shows 18.6 GB capacity (thought this was a 20 GB hard drive) so it shows I'm using 8.25 GB

I only have 5 POIs enabled, but as I am typing this I just reduced it to 2. (I'm hoping only 5 wouldn't cause this and would hope this unit could handle more)

Only 264 mp3's totaling 1.01 GB installed. (I have them all shuffling when playing)

And for good measure, on the main screen, status bar, I have everything enabled except for "Direction" and "Show leeway to arrival time" and display the bar Horizontal

Looking at what I just posted, it don't make sense to me how and why/if this would be causing the problem.

Again, I am running v7.160, the unit shows 61 MB Ram (free 19.5 MB) (I checked that shortly after turning unit on) and am running NA v665.1293.

Let me know if need anything else and Thanks again for any help or advise!

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my 910. I think it's an "undocumented feature." And yes, the only thing that corrects it is cycling the power. I run it while working and it'll go for 10 hours straight and I need to cycle it 2 or 3 times a shift. I do believe I've read at least one other thread here with others describing the same thing.

I have the same problem with my 910. I think it's an "undocumented feature." And yes, the only thing that corrects it is cycling the power. I run it while working and it'll go for 10 hours straight and I need to cycle it 2 or 3 times a shift. I do believe I've read at least one other thread here with others describing the same thing.

At least I'm not the only one experiencing this. I use mine also at work and same thing 2-3 times during my shift. This just gets annoying! Any fixes please?

This is strange! I have more space taken up on my 910 and I don't experience this. I don't use the mp3 player though so that may be why I don't see it.
Try reducing the mp3 songs to about 20 (just cut and paste it to your computer) and see if you get the same result. You can paste your mp3s back to your unit if you experience the same thing.
If no luck, then I would contact TT Support.

V7 problem

Aside from the hands free issue which forced me to revert to the earlier version I had some problems with the mp3 playing, not the choppines you report, but the sound would disappear after a phone call or a direciton was spoken (and not consistently either). Did you guys experience thes eproblems before the upgrade? As stated, probably another undocumented problem witht V7.

Aside from the hands free issue which forced me to revert to the earlier version I had some problems with the mp3 playing, not the choppines you report, but the sound would disappear after a phone call or a direciton was spoken (and not consistently either). Did you guys experience thes eproblems before the upgrade? As stated, probably another undocumented problem witht V7.

As I said above, I had the opposite effect pre v7. My music would play flawlessly but my map would freeze or lag badly (for example it would show a road I was on a mile ago). This is just frustrating and would like a resolve!!

I have the same problems with my 910. I ended up with an iPod. The TomTom interface is poor and it's not worth the trouble.

I also have both the problems mentioned here. I have about 700 songs, and just did a road trip from OK to New Mexico. The MP3 would work great, and then after 2 to 3 hours bam it skips. Stopping and not using and then starting it fixed it for about another 1 hour.

I also have the problem with my music not starting back up all the time after a bluetooth conversation (blackberry 8800 and 8700). Has this been reported to tomtom yet as a defect?

I also have both the problems mentioned here. I have about 700 songs, and just did a road trip from OK to New Mexico. The MP3 would work great, and then after 2 to 3 hours bam it skips. Stopping and not using and then starting it fixed it for about another 1 hour.

I also have the problem with my music not starting back up all the time after a bluetooth conversation (blackberry 8800 and 8700). Has this been reported to tomtom yet as a defect?

Just curious.....is the unit getting power from the auto or simply running on battery?

Ask a Question