TomTom Model(s)
XL 330S
hi everyone. just downloaded the updates. i had 8.01 version but had to restore backup my old one (7.522) because the compass was gone in the newer version. it gave me the car symbol which i don't really need.

couple of questions. is that normal? second i really like the compass where it shows the direction of my destination. i haven't updated my device yet. do i really have to? what is the difference between 7.522 and 8.010 besides the latter one being the newer version. is there any real advantage for downloading the newer version? thanks

hi everyone. just downloaded the updates. i had 8.01 version but had to restore backup my old one (7.522) because the compass was gone in the newer version. it gave me the car symbol which i don't really need.

couple of questions. is that normal? second i really like the compass where it shows the direction of my destination. i haven't updated my device yet. do i really have to? what is the difference between 7.522 and 8.010 besides the latter one being the newer version. is there any real advantage for downloading the newer version? thanks
Yup. NavCore 8 breaks the compass (although, you can partially restore its direction to the status bar). It also breaks Itineraries for TT ONE-series models.

However, there are advantages. Version 8 supports both IQ Routing & Advanced Lane Guidance (although, you'll need to upgrade to the ver$ion 8-$erie$ map$ to take advantage of these).

So, if you don't plan to invest in a new map, then you may be better off sticking with 7.55.

I'm confused. You say you reverted to Nav7x to get the compass functionality back and now you're wondering about the benefits of Nav8??!!

Well, you lose the N7 compass functionality. You lose custom menu functionality. You gain ability to run version 8 maps. These v8 maps will include IQ routing and may include ALG (depends where you are). Mapshare changes in v8 allow for correcting 'no left' or 'no right' turns --- not just reporting them.

Yup. NavCore 8 breaks the compass (although, you can partially restore its direction to the status bar). It also breaks Itineraries for TT ONE-series models.

However, there are advantages. Version 8 supports both IQ Routing & Advanced Lane Guidance (although, you'll need to upgrade to the ver$ion 8-$erie$ map$ to take advantage of these).

So, if you don't plan to invest in a new map, then you may be better off sticking with 7.55.

there are 8 series maps already? in tomtom home when i go to add map i don't see any newer version. the one they have USA & CANADA version 725.1914 is already on my device. plus i only have xl330 will i be able to use iq routing and advance lane guidance?

thanks

I'm confused. You say you reverted to Nav7x to get the compass functionality back and now you're wondering about the benefits of Nav8??!!

Well, you lose the N7 compass functionality. You lose custom menu functionality. You gain ability to run version 8 maps. These v8 maps will include IQ routing and may include ALG (depends where you are). Mapshare changes in v8 allow for correcting 'no left' or 'no right' turns --- not just reporting them.

in my mapshare it allows me to do what you just said no left or right turn, does that mean that i have the 8 version map?

thanks

There may NOT be v8 maps available for your unit. Not sure. I do know that, regardless of model, a user will not be offered a v8 map unless he/she has Navcore 8 installed.

Which brings up the next point .....

I don't know if N8 is available for your unit, either.

Big help, I am. :eek: :rolleyes:

There may NOT be v8 maps available for your unit. Not sure. I do know that, regardless of model, a user will not be offered a v8 map unless he/she has Navcore 8 installed.

Which brings up the next point .....

I don't know if N8 is available for your unit, either.

Big help, I am. :eek: :rolleyes:

ic......... let's just say that i downloaded the navcore 8 and get the new version map. will be able to use iq routing and advance lane guide in my device........like i said i only own a 330.

from what i know those features only works for 720 and higher. i'm not sure.

plus i only bought my tomtom 3 weeks ago if i upgraded to navcore 8, can i get the 8 series map for free?

thanks

ic......... let's just say that i downloaded the navcore 8 and get the new version map. will be able to use iq routing and advance lane guide in my device........like i said i only own a 330.

from what i know those features only works for 720 and higher. i'm not sure.

plus i only bought my tomtom 3 weeks ago if i upgraded to navcore 8, can i get the 8 series map for free?

thanks

IF a v8 firmware is available for the 330 then you may have an opportunity to dl a v8 map, if one is available for your model; there may not be because of space considerations on your model.

The question about getting a v8 map for free if you are in the 30-day window is a good one and one which has brought about discussion in various threads, here and elsewhere.

The feeling seems to be that IF there is a v8 map for your unit, you MAY be eligible to get it through LMG (more later about this) rather than be limited to the top level v7 map; seems to depend upon who you talk to at TomTom.

The Home's function of LMG does not work very well. The usual solution is to call, not email, TT about getting the latest map provided for free.

So ..........

No definitive answers since I've seen people who got v8 maps and people who didn't.

Again, this presumes there even is a v8 map for your unit.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

IF a v8 firmware is available for the 330 then you may have an opportunity to dl a v8 map, if one is available for your model; there may not be because of space considerations on your model.

The question about getting a v8 map for free if you are in the 30-day window is a good one and one which has brought about discussion in various threads, here and elsewhere.

The feeling seems to be that IF there is a v8 map for your unit, you MAY be eligible to get it through LMG (more later about this) rather than be limited to the top level v7 map; seems to depend upon who you talk to at TomTom.

The Home's function of LMG does not work very well. The usual solution is to call, not email, TT about getting the latest map provided for free.

So ..........

No definitive answers since I've seen people who got v8 maps and people who didn't.

Again, this presumes there even is a v8 map for your unit.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

I thought Version 8 maps were just for higher end devices. Version 8 maps are available to 7xx and 9xx devices from what I heard. Everything else just has 725 available as latest map due to the fact that the lower end devices only have 1gb internal memory. Yea you can have NavCore 8, but no version 8 maps.

Don't forget the prior post was 3 months old. some information may not be relevant today.

Ask a Question