3D Car Icons fro GO 730/930

Anyone heard if the new Tomtom Go models that are coming out will have 3D car icons like Nuvi series? I really like the Nuvi series car icons, they really are 3D but Tomtom has opted for 2D gif picture. I heard that the new Go models will have higher resolution maps like Nuvi instead of jaggies we see on current models. Hopefully with faster processor that won't cause screen refresh delay.

If you're reffering to this....

nuvi270gps.jpg

Then the TomTom units can do the same.

TomTomGO720Cars-thumb.jpg

tomtom_cursor.jpg

Anyone heard if the new Tomtom Go models that are coming out will have 3D car icons like Nuvi series? I really like the Nuvi series car icons, they really are 3D but Tomtom has opted for 2D gif picture. I heard that the new Go models will have higher resolution maps like Nuvi instead of jaggies we see on current models. Hopefully with faster processor that won't cause screen refresh delay.

From the specs I've read on a European site the Samsung integrated chipset is the same as what is presently found on the x20 series, the Samsung S3C2443 which would mean same cpu speed. It also features the same Samsung display.

To know more about those Samsung chipsets and integrated chipsets, I went to the Samsung site and downloaded some pdf files that give all the part numbers and features. They are mostly in the mobile chips department. That is how I learned about the USB characteristics of the ONE and x20s.

Now I understand why so many companies can try to get on the pnd business as those chipsets handle almost everything. Just get the sw, get some 3rd party (Loquendo) for the tts and voice recognition and then the maps from NavTeq or TeleAtlas, get a case and windshield attachment and away you go! The sw is the hardest but even there, there are companies willing to sell it and help you customize the ui.

Yes. I know tomtom can change car icons and as you know it's just a 2d gif that anyone can make and put it in the car icon folder in tomtom. If you go to Garmin site you can download additional car icons for Nuvi and the files are not gif picture, they are actually very large file >1 meg and the car icons are real 3d. If you used Nuvi before you can actually see the side of the car doors when you navigate and the car icons actually turns and rotate.

If you're reffering to this....

nuvi270gps.jpg

Then the TomTom units can do the same.

TomTomGO720Cars-thumb.jpg

tomtom_cursor.jpg

Ask a Question