Light sensor broken?

Has anyone else encountered trouble with their light sensor? Mine suddenly stopped working... the 910 won't change to day colors or night colors automatically.

I tried unchecking and checking the preference setting "Switch to night colors when dark." I also tried rebooting, and hooking it up to TomTom Home for updates. Made sure that the sensor (it's the one on the right hand corner, right?) wasn't obstructed or dirty.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is there any hope of a software fix, or does it sound like a hardware malfunction? I'm not looking forward to the prospect of having to ship my unit off for repair.

There is a post somewhere (I think by Pedro). While running TT home and your device is connected to the PC, run the function "Operate my Go", go to Preferences and make sure you switch to "Day colors" before disconnecting the device. If it's already in "Day colors" then switch to "Night colors" and back to "Day colors" then disconnect device.

I'm on a Mac, so I can't do "Operate My Go" with TomTom Home. Is there any other way?

You may want to try 'Return to Factory Settings'. Mind you, all your settings would have to be re-entered if you try that, but ....

Has anyone else encountered trouble with their light sensor? Mine suddenly stopped working... the 910 won't change to day colors or night colors automatically.

I tried unchecking and checking the preference setting "Switch to night colors when dark." I also tried rebooting, and hooking it up to TomTom Home for updates. Made sure that the sensor (it's the one on the right hand corner, right?) wasn't obstructed or dirty.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is there any hope of a software fix, or does it sound like a hardware malfunction? I'm not looking forward to the prospect of having to ship my unit off for repair.

I'm having the same problem. The trick by using it in Tom Tom Home works, but this is still annoying. I'm going to report it and hope it gets updated with the next firmware. Good luck!

I'm glad you're reporting it. Did it just show up when you started using the new TomTom Home?

Mine has started working again. I tried hard resetting it a couple of times, both when it was set to day colors and when it was set to night. It didn't succeed, but later that night the TomTom started working... so who knows if the fix was related or coincidental.

The best way to avoid this from happening is to not unit the x10 unit withouth the mount. It is strange but it helps. Yes report the issue to TomTom is the best thing. The more people report it, the better.

Sorry, let me clarify. Try to avoid from turning on the unit with out the mount attached. I've noticed the problem happens when I turn the unit on without the mount.

THE source of the problem and how to avoid/fix it

Hello folks. I have figured out what triggers this behaviour and how to avoid it and fix it.

How to reproduce the problem.
1. having the two checkboxes checked in 'brightness preferences'
2. doing a pin-reset or connecting to PC
3. powering up in what the unit perceives as dark (not daylight)

How to avoid the problem.
1. uncheck the two checkboxes in 'brightness preferences' and set to 'use day colors' BEFORE doing a pin-reset or connecting to PC

How to fix the problem.
1. uncheck the two checkboxes in 'brightness preferences'
2. set to 'use day colors'
3. pin-reset

You may then recheck the checkboxes in 'brightness preferences' for your day-to-day use. It is just that when first powering up after being connected to PC or being pin-reset that the settings need to be 'use day colors' and the checkboxes are unchecked.

Ask a Question