Unable to connect to live services

The LIVE servers were down yesterday but should be resolved by now.

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds unless your model has a dedicated reset hole

Hi. I have also discovered that it your battery has died--!! The Live Services will not work properly, even though the device is on a car mount. I have this problem and thanks to advice on here, I am now sourcing a new battery.

Hi. I have also discovered that it your battery has died--!! The Live Services will not work properly, even though the device is on a car mount.

You sure about that? I have a GO940 with a completely shot battery, but it still gets LIVE Services when connected to external power.

When I phoned Tom Tom, they told me that a dead battery will affect the live services. Sometimes they work. Last week, I did a journey from Scotland to South Wales. The Live traffic etc worked for approx. half of the journey, going on and off for periods of time.
It is disappointing that Tom Tom are not keen to help, given that the battery issue in my model appears to be an inherent fault.

If you have a dead or weak battery, try two things:

1) Get a 2.1 amp car charger. This supplies more power to the device to minimize the chance of the modem shutting off due to insufficient power
2) Try to mount the GO1000 over an air conditioning vent. The devices have overheat protection that shuts off charging when hot, and without the charging there may not be enough power to keep the modem on

Fair point -- didn't even make 70F in Cardiff today.

That said, I keep my units mounted low, not on the windshield. Direct sun really does heat up these black cases.

I think that I will end up getting a new device. The on/off switch goes green, suggesting that it is fully charged, but, the battery has no charge at all. Has anyone else had the problem of live services not working, due to a dead battery?
Perhaps my device is faulty on two counts. I must admit, I had not thought about it overheating through the window.

What I've seen is that if the battery is very low on charge, the device will use what power it has to provide navigation services and disconnect the 'cellular' function if necessary. The built-in 'cell phone' that provides your data services can use a fair bit of power when transmitting.

I have a suggestion for testing this issue. With the unit off, fully charge it from your mains or PC charger overnight. Turn the unit on and enable "Airplane mode" (or whatever it's called - I'm away from my unit). This also shuts off the cellular services. Now, leave the unit on in the usual nav mode and see how long the battery lasts. If it's a short time (less than 15 minutes or so), then your 1000 may need a battery replacement. Unfortunately, it won't be the first 1000 to need that at an early age.

If you have a dead or weak battery, try two things:

2) Try to mount the GO1000 over an air conditioning vent. The devices have overheat protection that shuts off charging when hot, and without the charging there may not be enough power to keep the modem on

I did not know this until recently. My wife and I were on a trip, and I noticed a warning sign come up on the screen. At first I thought it was a "water on the road ahead" warning as we were suppose to drive through some heavy rain on our way to our destination. A couple minutes later I notice it wasn't charging. I checked it out and it was burning hot. Turned the A/C vent on it (which we normally do), and in five minutes or so, we get an audible alert, the warning sign on the screen goes away, and it starts charging again. Very nice feature, as it prevents major damage to the unit from charging a hot battery.

I definitely recommend having an air vent, even if it isn't A/C blowing on it. The ones in my wife's car rotate upside down, so we can have it mounted on the windshield and turn the vent up to blow on it.

I also want to mention to the OP, that it is possible to change the battery in those. Google it or look on YouTube for instructions. From what I've seen the batteries aren't expensive and it looks fairly easy to change.

Maybe it would be a good idea to update your profile to tell where you are located so other UK members could confirm that it is TomTom and not a vehicle/device problem..
Some times there are temporary outages, even though they might last for some hours.

Ask a Question