Unable to connect GO 920 to PC

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
I've always had difficulty connecting my Go 920 to Windows PC, but for the last month it has not worked at all. Whenever I connect to my PC, Windows Explorer shows a removable device, but if I attempt to open it, I get a message to insert a disk. TomTom HOME does not recognize the device at all.

On the other hand, I am able to connect to a Linux system where it is recognized as having a VFAT file system and I am able to see most, if not all, of the files. But of course it is not possible to update from Linux since TomTom will not provide TomTom HOME for Linux.

As the device is slightly over a year old, tech support is either not willing to try to help or they are unable to comprehend my questions. I've gotten nothing useful from them so far.

So I am still able to use the device for navigation, but it is taking longer and longer to sync up with GPS signals as I am no longer able to update that information. I am also unable to use the Map Update Service I recently purchased and TomTom has not yet agreed to provide a refund.

Any suggestions on how to get Windows to recognize the file system or how to repair it from Linux?

Try this:

Go here and see if you can extract the contents (using Winrar) to the unit. (overwriting existing files).

If you can, try connecting to Home.......see if things are ok now.

It is not possible to extract the contents to the unit. Winrar reports "The device is not ready." When I connect the device to Windows XP, I get a Removable disk (E:) in Windows Explorer, but if I attempt to open it, I get the message "Please insert a disk into drive E:." Likewise, if I attempt to open it from a command prompt, I get "The device is not ready." So while Windows recognizes that a USB disk has been connected, there is no way to access it that I can find.

Last edited:
Can you try a different usb port, preferably one on the back of the computer. also, can you try a different cable?

I have tried several different ports (including some on the back of the computer), all with the same results. I am using the dock that came with the device with its built-in cable. I've also tried another cable, also with the same results.

Given that I can connect the device to a Linux system and it is recognized as a VFAT file system, I don't believe that that is the problem.

Extract the files in DHN's link into a blank SD. Put a blank SD in the Tomtom, and see if HOME can now read the Tomtom SD drive.

If so, then here are some repair steps to try:
- backup your map folders (North America and Western Europe) on your Linux box.
- use the windows box to try to format the Tomtom internal memory. If successful, extract the file with winrar onto the formatted memory.
- Then copy your map folders back via the linux box.
- then see if home will recognize/update your map

Make sure you backup your map folders first. Maps have to be paid for, and I assume you didn't buy the western europe subscription.

Sometimes, if windows assigns a drive letter, you can still format it by right clicking on the drive and selecting format. The insert disk is sometimes window's cryptic way of saying your drive is corrupt.

Also, have you tried another PC and usb cable to see if it can be read? You should rule out non-Tomtom stuff before doing a format. It is really weird that Linux can see the drive but not windows.

I have a complete backup on Linux. I did that awhile back when I started having trouble with connecting to Windows.

Selecting format from the right click menu results in the message that there is no disk in the drive. Running format from a command prompt also returns the message to insert a disk in the drive.

I do not have access to another Windows PC to try.

Can the computer read an SD in the Tomtom? If the SD can't be read (and you've done both a clearflash and pinreset) then something's wrong with the connection hardware (either your computer, your cable, or the Tomtom's jack).

If that doesn't work, one option to try is to put the linux backup onto an SD, then see if home updates the SD in an SD reader. Then stick the SD in the Tomtom and see if the Tomtom runs with the updated maps.

When an SD card is in the TomTom, Windows can read it (I'm able to access all of the files from Windows Explorer), but TomTom HOME doesn't recognize it.

Clearflash won't install (complains about not finding the Palm Installer library).

That is REALLY weird about ClearFlash. Have never heard that one before.

What kind of sd card do you have? Is it a sdhc card and high speed? (at least class 4)?

When an SD card is in the TomTom, Windows can read it (I'm able to access all of the files from Windows Explorer), but TomTom HOME doesn't recognize it.

Clearflash won't install (complains about not finding the Palm Installer library).

If the SD is readable by windows, use winrar to extract the data in this link onto the SD. Then disconnect and turn off the Tomtom. Then do a pin reset. Then turn the Tomtom on (with the SD inside) until it shows you the map screen, then turn off the Tomtom. Then plug into your computer and turn on the Tomtom and open up HOME. This process creates ID files on the SD, and HOME should be able to recognize it afterwards.

If the above works, then something's up with your internal memory. Maybe try formatting it on the linux box as fat32 (dunno if linux can do a fat32 format, never used it), and see if Windows can see the Tomtom drive.

If your SD card is big enough, you could just copy your linux backup onto the SD and ignore the internal memory permanently.

Last edited:
This is one more reason why I hate Microsoft Windows and products that depend on it.

Since TomTom is the only real reason I still have Windows around, I figured I had nothing to lose by switching to Windows 7. I installed it this morning and it had no problem detecting and connecting to the TomTom. Now it is just a matter of seeing if it will continue to work, or if I begin having problems again the next time I try it since there were no changes to my Windows XP system between the last time I connected the TomTom to it and when I began having problems.

Hopefully I'll find an alternative to TomTom soon that either doesn't require connecting to a computer for updates or can be updated through Linux, so I'll be able to get rid of Windows entirely.

Ask a Question