Tomtom one xl won't turn on

Hi,

My tomtom one xl was fine before, but after i left it in a box about 2 months, it won't power on. I plug into charger or my pc, then the green led will turn on, but i still not be able to switch on the unit. I've tried holding the reset button and/or power button for mins, nothing works. I think maybe the dead battery but, should it not power up when connected to a charger, even if battery is dead? Is there anyway to get around it? Even if i want change the battery, what kind of battery they got inside the unit?

Cheers,

I'm not experienced with Tomtom disassembly, hopefully mikealder or canderson will see this post and chime in.

I have noticed, however, that others report similar problems (won't turn on even in a charger) with a fully drained battery. Try leaving it on the charger overnight or a couple of days and see if starts up.

tomtom wont boot

howdy mate

to dismantle your tomtom is simple . just put your finger nails under the silver trim on the front of your tomtom
from inside the screen edge ( not the outer edge ) and at same time put your thumb on the outer edge and push with thumb and lift with finger nail towards the centre of screen direction . the silver trim should pop up from tt surface. then just slide finger nail along trim till you pop the rest of trim (silver trim is held on by small tabs that lock onto black base. after youve done that. unscrew the small screws that hold the screen in place. lift screen from unit enough to see the battery pack which contains three small cells enveloped in plastic sheath. disconect battery pack note part number.then order replacement from tomtom support site.or if you want to. you can take your battery pack to any shop that sells mobile phone or wireless home phone battery replacements as long as the voltage and ampage are the same there wont be a problem. hope this helps

p.s. try e-bay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tom-Tom-One-X...e_ET?hash=item20ad51a49e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited:
For the XL you remove the 4 Torx head screws from the rear of the device then the screen bezzel and electronics can be prised out from the front of the device (strong thumb nails are quite handy for this) - Mike

Hi,

My tomtom one xl was fine before, but after i left it in a box about 2 months, it won't power on. I plug into charger or my pc, then the green led will turn on, but i still not be able to switch on the unit. I've tried holding the reset button and/or power button for mins, nothing works. I think maybe the dead battery but, should it not power up when connected to a charger, even if battery is dead? Is there anyway to get around it? Even if i want change the battery, what kind of battery they got inside the unit?

Cheers,

I have the same problem, how did you fix it?

If you don't know how to handle taking electronics to bits please leave this well alone as you could damage your device.

Lay the unit screen side down and remove the four Torx size 8 screws

Use your thumb nails to pry apart the two halves of the case

Separate the two halves take care as there are still the wires between the two parts holding it together

Disconnect the speaker plug and the battery plug so the two halves can be separated.

The battery is held in place with a small amount of glue, use nothing more than finger pressure to ease the battery away from the rear portion of the case.

The Battery is made by Maxell part number 553450ARX/S with a capacity of 1100mAh

Re assembly is the reverse of taking it to bits - Mike

Last edited:
Hi,

Cheers,

you need to leave it on charge for at least 6 hour and then it should work i know mine works this way

Ask a Question