TomTom 330s won't turn on

Hi all, when I try to turn my 330s on the screen lites up in a dark gray color then a lite gray color and that's it, nothing else happens.
I've tried holding the on-off button down for 15 sec. to reset it and it seems to work BUT I have to do this everytime I turn the unit on.
Any idea on how to resolve this?
Thanks, Harry

Does the device work after you have reset it or does it just show the grey start up screen again?

Also try connecting it to the PC and can see the files/ folders on the device using Windows Explorer? - Mike

Yes the TT does work after the reset, but if it's turn off I have hold the on button down again for 15 seconds before it will start.
Yes the it seems to be useing Windows Explorer.
Thanks for your help,Harry

I don't think that's the problem. I returned the TT and exchanged it for different one.
Same thing happens with this one. Right out of the box it turned on after 2-3 secs. but after that I have to press the on button 4-5 times holding the button down for up to 22 seconds before it'll start up.

"Right out of the box"????

You know that 'right out of the box', you should charge a new unit for 2-4 (preferably 4) hours before doing anything? That could be the issue here.............

Charged the 1st TT for just about 3hrs. and the 2nd one overnite so doubt this would be the issue.
"Right out of the box" before it ever was hooked up to a computer and updated.

Okay, had to check,,,,,,,,,

An earlier application version had a negative effect in that users had to hold the power button for quite a length of time (at least 8-10 seconds, as I remember) to get their unit to turn on.

But the latest firmmware versions seemed to have rememdied that problem and holding the power button only requires a couple of seconds of holding.

So,,,,,,,,,

What is the application version on your unit? (tap the satellite bars and the next screen will show the version number).

Well, this short into its life, you shouldn't be having the troubles you are, especially when it seems a second unit is acting the same as the first.

I guess another return is necessary.

Just talked to TT's tech support and was told this is normal. Some are like that.
She also told me it states that in the user guide.....I've read this thing 6 times and can not find it mentioned anywhere, except for the "if the unit stops responding" hold the on/off button down for 15 seconds.
Oh well, guess I'll never shut it off.

Battery charge??

How do you charge the battery of an xl330s. Simply plug it into the cigarette lighter? Is this supposed to be done for two hours before first use??

How do you charge the battery of an xl330s. Simply plug it into the cigarette lighter? Is this supposed to be done for two hours before first use??

Plug it into a cigarette lighter or into your computer's USB port. Typical with any lithium ion battery, the battery lasts longest if it stays at full or mostly full charge all the time.

You should be fine using it immediately if it's plugged into a charger.

Ask a Question