startup screen wrong color and size

After updating my One 140 from 8.415 to the new App 9.026 i get inverted colors and the screen resolution is off set down and to the right by a 1/4 inch. This continues for the use of unit until turned off. Once off and then back on again the unit works fine. So every second boot of unit gives me this issue. I called the 1-800 they had me do resets, reinstall the app and maps. Then we also did a full format of the unit. Nothing worked. This morning i took it upon myself to uninstall 9.026 and reinstall 8.415. Now unit works fine, all be it not updated to where it should be. Does anyone else have issue with the new App after updating? It is frustrating not to be able to update. I would like to mention that this is my second unit, the first 140 was baught for me for Christmas and had the exact issue. The Source took it back as non functional. Any idea how to do all the updates without getting the screen errors? Now using 8.415 gives me horrible satalite reseption and takes very long time to locate satalites. I am very frustrated.

Last edited:
Others have reported that issue with that application which really is not meant for your model, I understand. It definitely did not have anything to do with grabbing a more solid gps fix.

Try this:
Go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris\ and use Explorer to delete any sub folders you see there.

Then use Explorer to delete anything you find in your ephem folder on your unit.

Connect to Home and you should be offered a new gpsquickfix file. Install it and see if it helps in getting a signal.

Remember, have your unit in an open area in a stationary position for the best chance at getting a signal.

I have EXACTLY the same issue

DHN-

I have EXACTLY the same issue,

If this firmware version is not meant for my 140S, then I think it a huge issue for TomTom to suggest (everytime I use TomTom home) I install it?

I have lost a lot of valuable time installing/ unisntalling/ (rinse and repeat) this buggy firmware. I have gone back to the previous firmware version which works fine.

The firmware doesn't work with the hardware- end of story. I wish TomTom would own up to it.

I have copy /pasted my post from November just below:

11-24-2009, 02:25 PM

TomTom Home encouraged me to update to 9.022. I did so, but when I started my unit, I would get a corrupt display. The displayed image was shifted up and to the right. If I turned the unit off and then on again, the issue woud disappear. However, I had to go through the same off and on again routine after every "cold" start of the unit.

As this was unacceptable I reverted to the previsous firmware version and the issue disappeared. Unfortunatley, this also caused me to lose all of my favorites and settings.

Anyone else have any problems with 9.022?

Last edited:
The latest 9.x firmware is designed for the 140S, however you and many others have reported this corrupted screen issue. My guess is that the firmware mis-identifies the hardware for certain serial numbers, and attempts to send a 4.3" image on the screen causing the distortion.

So far, app 8.415 has been the workaround for everyone. To preserve favorites, just copy your mapsettings.cfg file from the USA/CAN/MEX folder to your hard drive, then back onto the Tomtom after the app downgrade.

Tomtom has been releasing about one bugfix update per month, but the latest 9.026 still appears to have this issue. Hopefully this is fixed in a future update soon.

same issue

I purchased my TOMTOM ONE 140S in Dec '09 and by Feb. I started having the same display issues of being off-center and having reversed colors. My call to TOMTOM technical support resulted in them having me reformat my unit which took several hours and didn't help at all.

TOMTOM's replies to my e-mails says that:
"I understand you would like to know when the software issues with behind changed interface/ colors on the TomTom device would be resolved.
I will do my best to provide the information you are looking for.
We release newer application versions every quarter. Rest assured that the next application version should fix this issue as it has already been reported.
I would strongly recommend you to subscribe for TomTom Newsletter so that whenever any updates are released regarding this matter, you will be the first one to get them. Please use the following link to subscribe for TomTom Newsletter: "

So even though this has been a known issue for several months, TOMOTOM has yet to issue a bug patch or new application with a fix. That doesn't sound like they care about their customers very much.

Tell your friends to buy something OTHER than a TOMTOM. I wish I had. :mad:

And you haven't sent it in under warranty because.....???

Why would you return the unit when you have been told a firmware fix was imminent? It takes a little time to establish a reputation of incompetency (now established). ...just like those numerous bad address map fixes I submitted months ago and have never received any feedback.

Why would you return the unit when you have been told a firmware fix was imminent? It takes a little time to establish a reputation of incompetency (now established). ...just like those numerous bad address map fixes I submitted months ago and have never received any feedback.

Just closing the loop here, in case anyone stumbles upon this thread in Google. App 9.053 fixed the off center screen bug on the ONE IQroutes/140 models.

Ask a Question