SD Card voices not working (730T)

Hey everyone,

I have a TomTom 730T, and I have recently purchased an SD card (mostly because a map update would not go through due to not enough space).

I have a few voices installed on the unit itself, and these work (test works).

I also have installed several voices onto the SD card, but these won't "TEST play" on the unit.

Any ideas as to why this might happen?

Any suggestions on what to put on internal memory and what to put on the SD card?

Thanks in advance guys.

You say they won't "test play" on the unit, but are they visible in the list on the unit?

Many of us keep our map folders on the SD and all of the other standard stuff on the internal.

canderson is correct, as usual.......

It is better to keep the loquendo folder (and contents) on internal and the same with the voices folder.

In theory, it shouldn't matter where the folders are but, in practice, seems it does.......

So I should keep my main map (North America) on my SD for normal use?

And all other stuff on the internal?

So I should keep my main map (North America) on my SD for normal use?

And all other stuff on the internal?
If you do, you'll be in very good company. For those of us who have an external SD card option (not all TomTom units do, BTW), that's turning out to be the best approach for a variety of reasons - not always fully understood, but determined from practical experience and the great input from users like yourself who cause us to scratch our heads a lot!

On the contrary. If the sdhc card is a class 6 or 8, you'll find that screen refreshing, etc. is faster than if the map were on internal.

SDHC are the high capacity cards? I didn't know the unit could use them.

I just bought a basic 2GB Dane-Elec SD card. I'm assuming this won't perform any better than internal memory?

Dane-Elec DA-SD-2048-R 2GB SD Card at TigerDirect.com
Yes, the 730 has always had firmware that would handle an SDHC card. Even some of the older models like the 720 received firmware upgrades that allowed for them. We've got guys here who like to keep the entire era of the 60's, 70's and 80's music on their monster cards!:p

A 2GB size card will work out just fine for keeping your map folder data providing you don't get crazy and start trying to keep multiple maps (e.g., both North America AND Western Europe) on it at the same time. I do that, so I needed 4GB to get the job done.

I'll confess I'm just a bit concerned over your choice of SD cards. From the info at tigerdirect, you can't tell what class card this is. I haven't seen one yet that actually caused problems because it was too slow, but I haven't seen anyone try a Class 2 in a TomTom GO series before, and for all we know, that's what the little bugger is. There's a lot of no-name crap SD coming out of China at the moment, even some crap brand name knockoffs. Keep us posted on how it works out for you, please.

So should I expect no performance change?

What's the best way now to transfer the maps to the SD card and the rest to internal?

Most of my stuff is on internal anyway, save for a few voices I was testing out.

Simply use Explorer to copy the map folder from internal to the card. (I'd still go for a well known brand 4 gig card like SanDisk or Transcend or Kingston, but that's me).

Simply use Explorer to copy the map folder from internal to the card. (I'd still go for a well known brand 4 gig card like SanDisk or Transcend or Kingston, but that's me).

Sounds easy enough, as long as the unit doesn't go berserk when I turn it on
---

I may consider getting an SDHC card too :)

Just seems like a waste of $15 getting the other one :(

Hi All.I am new to all this but have the problem i.e. not enough space for a computer generated voice on my device,coppied a voice to my 2gb card but it doesnt operate when navigating.
Question,how do you get both the device and card to operate at the same time. I have a new map due for western europe,do I put this on the card and leave everything else on the device,what else needs to be on the card, any simple advice would be most welcome Regards
Must say I am glad to have found this site,it appears to be full of very knowlegable people,think I will be an avid reader thanks

Put the map folder on the card and keep the voice folder and Loquendo (or Vocalizer, depending on model) on internal. Should work ok.

How would I tell if an SD card is class 6 or 8?

Is it simply stated on packaging?
Yes. All of the reputable manufacturers mark the class directly on the chip and the packaging, and if you don't see it in the specs at an online site, you can always visit the manufacturer's site to review the spec in more detail.

However, like I've said, there's some junk coming in from China that is neither what it claims to be regarding brand or class. Be careful not only what you buy, but where you buy it.

Three questions. (1) After copy to card, I presume erase folder from internal, right? (2) Could I just "move" in the first place? (3) Assume steps are (a) backup internal (b) copy to card and erase map folder from internal (c) back up internal to new name and back up card to new name. All backups using explorer for windows or whatever the Mac name equivalent is. Right?

Right.........

There is no value having the map in two locations.

All your steps about backing up (not using Home) to one folder on the computer for the card's contents and a second backup to a different folder for internal are correct.

Ask a Question