London to Manchester

Discussion in 'General TomTom Discussion' started by Sarah_London, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Sarah_London

Sarah_London

Hi,

I am having a little trouble with the M6 Toll Road and the TomTtom. When I need to make a rond trip travel to Heathrow from Manchester the Tom Tom takes me the Toll route from Manchester to London which is fine, however when I come back from London it never takes me via the Toll Road, I have tried every option like quickest route, shortest route, fastest route and all seem to skip the Toll Road. What do I need to enter in the Tom Tom to get me home using the M6 Toll. Thanks

Sarah_London, Jan 7, 2011
    1. Advertising

2. Sarah_London

canderson Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    GO720 GO 740 GO1535 GO1605 VIA130
    How IS it routing you back? Up the M6 west of Walsall?

You don't mention exactly which unit you have, so we don't know if there are other routing factors (e.g., IQRoutes) being incorporated into the decision that might help sort it. Without IQRoutes, a TomTom makes assumptions about speeds based upon road type, and would not distinguish between the M6 and M6-Toll. If, in that case, the M6 was actually a shorter route (even though slower), that's how you'd get routed.

If you prefer, you can create a simple itinerary of Heathrow, a point on the M6 tollway, out around Shenstone, and then your final destination in Manchester. Execute that itinerary and you'll force your TomTom to route you the way you prefer unless you have Toll Roads set to "Avoid".

Zoom up a BUNCH when you set the waypoint on the M6 Toll so that you're sure your point is in the correct lane or your TT may try to loop you around to wherever you actually set the waypoint.

Let us know what model you have and we can ponder it more.

canderson, Jan 7, 2011
    1. Advertising

3. Sarah_London

mikealder Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    720, 930, 940, XL, One 3rd
    Consider looking at M42/ M5/ M6 as this can be a quicker route depending upon the time of day, it must be three years plus since I last bothered with the M6 Toll road, its just not worth the ?10 for 40 miles on a round trip.

As for your unit not routing via the Toll when Northbound have you got Map Share enabled on it? It wouldn't be the first time I have seen that responsible for a motorway to appear closed due to poor information - Mike

mikealder, Jan 8, 2011
    1. Advertising