is downloading maps required all the time?

Hi
I live on Kauai island in Hawaii and store my Tom Tom7 to 8 months of the year Island is 12 miles in diameter and I don't need a GPS here.

I get several e-mail messages a year that new maps of Europe and USA are available for my free download
which I do not need until I get ready to travel.

Must I download these maps to keep in the system or can I just download the ones I need when I need them?

Aloha from Kauai
Leon

If you have ever driven west down the Kaumualii out of Lihue (being it's a main drag, suspect you've done it a lot), and found that the silly TT map keeps wanting to turn you right at Nuhou and give you a guided tour of the Kaua'i Community College instead of just letting you go straight down Kaumualii, you'll know that there are still a few bugs in the current Kauai map -- Sorry to say, they still haven't fixed that one. I think the farm market folks that set up shop in the CC parking lot there are in cahoots with the TT map makers. Good for business.

Anyway -- all of that to say that even where roads don't change much like Kauai, there are still lots of small and sometimes annoying errors that need to be corrected. If your model provides you with free updates, you will probably want to download the most recent somewhat in advance of any planned trips to the mainland or to Europe or whatever. They do keep getting better and better.

As Arno asks -- what model of TT do you own, and what is your map subscription situation with TT, if any?

Hi
I have a Tom Tom Via Model 4EN52 with lifetime maps
I have yet to need the GPS on Kauai so TT stays in the dry box until I travel to Europe or the Mainland
The connections are so crappy here it takes 6 to 8 hours to download maps so I don't want to do it if
it is not required to keep my free map thing going Until I travel
Aloha Leon

Have you initialised your life time map subscription within 3 months after connecting the device for the first time.
If not, I would suggest you contact Customer Support after fully charging your device.

1 (866) 486-6866

Please advise the first two characters of your serial number (4EN52 isn't helping me). I ask because I'm curious which unit you have that assures lifetime maps for both Europe and North America.

Anyway - to really answer your original question, no. You can certainly skip map releases. They aren't cumulative. At present, the entire map is sent during each quarterly update.

Well canderson the little sticker on the back of the Tom Tom says Model: 4EN52 below that is Z1230
after that is a bar code then below that is the devices serial number then below that is 4EN5 001.06

Amazon receipt says Tom Tom Via 1505M World Traveler Edition GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps

I have already downloaded both a revised Europe map and a revised USA map ( North America )
so guess I am OK with that ?

Sounds like Canderson has spent some time on Kauai ? I have lived here for 26 years and live just off of Kaumualii
highway toward Lawai in a district called Omao. It was 81 degrees F here yesterday, how is it in Colorado
or for that matter Ontario ? I love both places and have actually drove the Trans Labrador Highway ( with good GPS instructions )
Aloha From Kauai Leon

I have already downloaded both a revised Europe map and a revised USA map ( North America )
so guess I am OK with that ?
It used to be that life time maps were only offered for the continent on which the device was bought.

We have an unusually warm December here. I was 10*C yesterday. But temperatures seem to be coming down now.
Weird, two days ago, El Paso, TX 13*C just like Toronto, Windsor, ON 16*C.

Amazon receipt says Tom Tom Via 1505M World Traveler Edition GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps
OK. That is indeed the model, and explains the availability of both maps for update.
Sounds like Canderson has spent some time on Kauai ? I have lived here for 26 years and live just off of Kaumualii highway toward Lawai in a district called Omao. It was 81 degrees F here yesterday, how is it in Colorado
or for that matter Ontario ?
Indeed, my favorite island of the chain. Have been through Lawai many times on my way west. Enjoy the 81F. Winter finally arrived here last night, and I'm shoveling snow for the first time. Heck, it's middle of December, so I can't gripe if it took this long. Our high tomorrow will be about 27F, but back to the 50s for the weekend. Anything I don't shovel now will melt then. Or it could all freeze again and turn to ice! Ka hua o ka hoʻopaneʻe, yes?

Ask a Question