MyTomTom Keeps Downloading Maps

TomTom Model(s)
2535 Live; 340 Live
Hi all,

I have a 2535 Live, and when trying to install map v9.10, MyTomTom just keeps downloading the map without installing it. When it finishes downloading the file, it starts over downloading it again. I have tried both IE and Chrome numerous times and a few weeks apart, and it just continues to download the file over and over. Any ideas?

Have you tried deleting the cache?
Click on the MyTomTom icon in the system tray (next to the clock), then go to 'settings', select the 'cache' tab, and click on 'empty the cache'.

If that doesn't work, you probably need to ring customer services and ask them to set up some "jobs" to cancel the existing download and re-schedule it.You may need to ask for 2nd level support in order to get that sorted.

Also, watch the bandwidth allowance with your ISP.

Because of a like problem I once went over my monthly limit and they wanted 25 bucks for going over.
I told them that I would switch ISPs it they didn't cancel as I did not do anything differently than any other month.
Only afterwards did I find a day-by-day use listing and allocated that excess usage to the repeated downloading of the map.

As Andy said, Support executed a 'job' which ended the downloading and allowed proper installation of the map.

Thank you for your replies. I can't get into settings to delete the cache as it is greyed out and won't let me click on it. Once I have given up on it and have seen it download a couple of times, I go into task manager and end the task so it won't keep downloading. Sounds like I will have to call customer service. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Not sure which OS you are running, but the cache will be here (or the equivalent spot):

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\TomTom\HOME3

From there, you can manually delete the 'contentx' and 'responsex' contents of the cache.

I've found that if jobs get stuck, one of the most successful workarounds is to leave the device connected, reboot your computer, then reopen myTomtom (if not set to auto-open).

That fixes many situations, but phone support can also clean things up server-side so they have more power to fix problems.

Your computer no longer shuts off because newer versions of myTomtom prevent sleep when downloads are in progress.

I can't get into settings to delete the cache as it is greyed out and won't let me click on it.

It's greyed out once you have clicked on it once, so I assume it is grey if the cache is already empty.

Well, kind of a strange ending to this one. I was hoping to find time to contact CS this week. The middle of last week, I deleted the cache manually using the instructions by canderson, hooked up my GPS and it still did the same thing - download over and over. So, I went into task manager and shut down MyTomTom as before, so it wouldn't keep downloading. I turned on my computer on Saturday (mind you I had it on numerous times between then and Saturday) and a message pops up saying I have updates "ready to install." I hooked up the unit and it installed perfectly. I have no idea how this corrected itself, but it did. :confused: I'm also not sure what one of the many attempted downloads it used to update it. However, GPS updated and working fine. :)

Good news...
...and welcome to the "What on Earth is MyTomTom up to now?!?!" club!

Well, kind of a strange ending to this one. I was hoping to find time to contact CS this week. The middle of last week, I deleted the cache manually using the instructions by canderson, hooked up my GPS and it still did the same thing - download over and over. So, I went into task manager and shut down MyTomTom as before, so it wouldn't keep downloading. I turned on my computer on Saturday (mind you I had it on numerous times between then and Saturday) and a message pops up saying I have updates "ready to install." I hooked up the unit and it installed perfectly. I have no idea how this corrected itself, but it did. :confused: I'm also not sure what one of the many attempted downloads it used to update it. However, GPS updated and working fine. :)
You are so lucky. Mine says it will take 2 min 45 seconds, and zooms along till 1 second is left and hangs up. I left it on and after 1 1/2 hours it still had 1 second left.
not sure what to do.

I tried this on 2 different computers and the same behaviour on both. It is a relatively small download but hangs up. Unplugging the TomTom 1505 does not seems to hurt it which is great. This started when TomTom decided I did not have enough memory and deleted Canada which is where I live. So I removed the program and reinstalled it with Canada and northern US which worked but lost all my destinations. Now this. Just frustrating.

I tried this on 2 different computers and the same behaviour on both.
What is "this"?
Are you referring to the unplugging and reconnecting of the USB cable to the device?

If not, try it.
When it hangs at 99% or what ever, without touching anything else, pull the USB and immediately plug it back in.
Leave it alone for at least 10 minutes and do something else like have supper.
99 out of a 100 times it will have completed once you check back next.

Ask a Question