Bluetooth: What Carrier's phones work and don't work: All models

GO 920
T-Mobile
Maximum data plan
Balckberry Curve 8320 - OS v4.2.2.180
Handsfree - working fine, volume a little low from speaker, but so far I have not been able to get phone audio on FM transmitter yet.
Phonebook transfer - no problem
SMS messaging - nothing working
Data transfer - nothing working
I use a laptop (Lenovo x61s with XPpro)and can happily use a dial-up connection via Bluetooth to my 8320 and use it as a modem. No problems with this. For the TomTom unit I have tried all the variants of APN, passname, password, and AT command string that I can find that is relevant, with no success
(For reference, what works from the laptop is: -
APN =wap.voicestream.com
passname =
password =
at+cgdcont=1, "IP","wap.voicestream.com")

Anyone got any new ideas???

I don't know if you read my posts in this thread, it wasn't easy getting it working with my 8120 and T-Mo. Try doing a hard reset on the TomTom I know you lose everything, I did, but that's what I had to do to finally get it working.

Also, pull the battery from the Pearl when it's on, wait 10 seconds and put it back in and let it reboot. I have found that I have to do this periodically. Traffic will work fine for a while, then the 720 can't connect to the server so I pull the battery, let it reboot, and it works again. For a while.

I don't know if you read my posts in this thread, it wasn't easy getting it working with my 8120 and T-Mo. Try doing a hard reset on the TomTom I know you lose everything, I did, but that's what I had to do to finally get it working.

Also, pull the battery from the Pearl when it's on, wait 10 seconds and put it back in and let it reboot. I have found that I have to do this periodically. Traffic will work fine for a while, then the 720 can't connect to the server so I pull the battery, let it reboot, and it works again. For a while.

I have paired pearl 8120 on both 910 and 720 multiple times with no issues. It might be a function of what OS on your 8120 - don't use an old one

Mine originally hd 4.3.xxx (latest one on T-Mobile US site), and recently upgraded to 4.5.0.52 (from Orange UK download site - you need 4.5 desktop also).

Also, no problems (had to request new service books to get new features working, and had to re-initialize WiFi). - have not had to do resets or anything. For traffic, I used TomTom account name and password in the manual setup. Using bluetooth traffic, as the receiver service is very spotty.

Verizon / Blackberry Curve 8330 / Go 920

TomTom tested: Go 920 (firmware: 8.010)
Carrier: Verizon
Data Plan: Blackberry BES Unlimited w/ BBA (broadband access / tethering) option
Phone: Blackberry Curve 8330 (OS: 4.3.0.127)

What works: hands-free, TomTom traffic, weather, phonebook transfer
What doesn't work: read/write messages

What did I do to make it work: use #777 as the dial string, leave ALL OTHER FIELDS BLANK.

This worked on the first attempt for me, but if it doesn't for you, try again, as I've had other phone setups fails the first time and then succeed.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain more about Tethering from Verizon? Is this something that I can add via their web site or do I have to call them and ask for it by name? Is it known as a different application on Verizon?

I appreciate your responses.

Can anyone explain more about Tethering from Verizon? Is this something that I can add via their web site or do I have to call them and ask for it by name? Is it known as a different application on Verizon?

I appreciate your responses.

In addition to the Blackberry (BES) data plan for my line, I have the "tethering" option, which Verizon lists on "My Verizon" as BBA CONNECT 5GB/$.25MB. It may be called something else if you have a BIS Blackberry plan, or a data plan for a non-Blackberry phone, but I believe that the "BB" in the name stands for "BroadBand" and not "BlackBerry".

The cost of the tethering option varies, depending on the cost of your data plan. Basically your data plan plus tethering will cost at least $60 per month. (I.e. my data plan is $45, so tethering costs $15, but if your data plan costs $30, then your tethering will cost $30). There may be different pricing schemes for non-PDA phones, or for phones that are not EVDO-capable.

Since I already have it, I can't tell if it's something that can be added via the web site.

TomTom tested: Go 720
Carrier: Nextel, Telus in Canada
Phone: Motorola i335

What works:

* Hands Free
* Sync with phonebook

Since i only own this unit for 4 days i didn't get all the way thru this superb unit

Phone: samsung sph-m300 with virgin mobile

The hand free work, downloading my contact book worked but data transfert don't work.

I'm on a tomtom 920 with all lastest update

Motorola V195 (GSM) / T-Mobile--- Bluetooth works great

GO 720
T-Mobile
No Data Plan
Motorola V195 (GSM)
All handsfree functions tested and work
Phonebook transfer seamless
SMS messaging works, receives/sends and displays SMS messages
Data transfer (not tested---no data plan right now)

I did this some time ago, and can't remember the details. I do recall having to sit with it for a while, as my address book was fairly lengthy. All in all, it was a pretty uneventful attempt that just took time, but worked well the first attempt.

All works good.

I guess this isn't too surprising, given that TomTom has european origins and T-Mobile is one of the (few) US carriers that support the GSM cell phone standard.

Interestingly (or maybe not too surprisingly) this phone is NOT one of the ones listed at TomTom.com as being supported, specifically.

t-mobile V195 works with Go510

TomTom tested: GO 510
Wireless carrier: T-Mobile
Phone manufacture and model number: Motorola V195
Which features work: Handsfree, Phonebook, no more tried.

Had to run Clear Flash utility...

TomTom One XL
Verizon XV6700 Pocket PC
Full Unlimited Data Plan
Bluetooth, wireless

I could not get the Bluetooth to sinc up at all the phone will "see" the TomTom but the TomTom does not "see" the phone.

LG Dare

TT Go 930
LG Dare on Verizon
Pairing won't go any farther than to say that the TT found the Dare, the two wouldn't pair beyond that. Pairing self-cancelled after putting in the default password to allow pairing.
Full data plan through Verizon

I also have a Sprint Palm 700P and can't get it to work. Could you please tell me what settings (options) you choose to get it to work? Thanks.

Stuck

I have a tomtom one xl and a new sprint katana lx. I paired the tomtom with my old katana and no problem. Now I tried it with the new one and the damned thing is giving me a error message on the phone saying my user name and password are wrong for the data. I called sprint last night and they are as helpful as a blind person finding a needle. Please anyone help.

TomTom tested, GO 720
Virgin Moble Flare phone

the phone pairs fine, it can send and receive calls fine, but it cannot access the customer listing. so it can only make and receive calls.

LG shine (ATT) and TT720

Any luck with this combo??? My Samsung C417 (att) sees the TT720 but not the other way around. TT customer service says the LG phones work well with the 720.

Any help with either phone would be great!

question for Vinny

Vinny111,
How did you get your motorola to work with the plus services.
I have a Motorola i880 and all I can get to work is the speakerphone.

TomTom tested: Go 720
Carrier: Nextel, Telus in Canada
Phone: Motorola i335

What works:

* Hands Free
* Sync with phonebook

Since i only own this unit for 4 days i didn't get all the way thru this superb unit
Vinny
How did you get this to sync with your phone book.
I have an i880 and can only get the speakerphone to work.

i-880 Nextel

I have an i-880 and a TT 730. If you are able to enter s=2 for the dial number you might be able to get an internet connection for the plus services. I've been able to create a bluetooth internet connection with my i-880 using that for my PDA. I know this works for Telus as well. (I was just in Huntsville last month). Unfortunately my TT 730 internet connection input dialog won't allow me to input anything other than numbers so I'm out of luck on a TT internet connection. I've been using my PDA and Live Search for free gas prices, weather and traffic if I'm on a long trip.

Handsfree works fine other than the added +1 thing for recent callers.
Never have been able to get the phonebook to transfer so I just made my own. Hope this helps.

TT Go 930
LG Dare on Verizon
Pairing won't go any farther than to say that the TT found the Dare, the two wouldn't pair beyond that. Pairing self-cancelled after putting in the default password to allow pairing.
Full data plan through Verizon
I have an LG Voyager and the Go730 also with Verizon. It did pair for hands free, but was not compatible for data or phonebook download. I went to Verizon and tried all of their phones on display and could not get any of them to go beyond hands free. From my research it appears to be a problem with Verizon's network technology. So...off I went to AT&T. Similar results. Finally went to T-Mobile and can report that the following phones work:

T-Moble Dash
Samsung SGH T639, 729, 819

The Go730 picked up the blue tooth signal from several other phones that I was not interested in. I have been a Verizon customer for years, but I have officially jumped ship to T-Mobile. Not only do their phones work, but their customer service is lovely and their rates are competitive.

Ask a Question