Bluetooth: What Carrier's phones work and don't work: All models

SMS messaging with Go 700, Samsung Upstage, Sprint carrier

I just saw another posting (in some other thread) mentioning some success after entering blanks for the manual wireless connection setup ... previously, i had just stopped at the first prompt for manual setup ... i will try again with entering blanks and see what happens ... i would like to get messaging and data transfer working. i already have hands free and phonebook import working. i have a sprint plan, with data vision power pack add-on.

I thought I'd start this thread to keep in one location what Bluetooth phones seem to work and not work along with any information we get from TomTom.

I'll edit this message with updated with information found in any messages that follow much the same as they do over on GPSPassions.

If this seems to work out maybe the admins might make this a sticky.

Please be as complete as you can when posting what works and does not work. Please include the following:
  • TomTom tested, i.e. GO 920
  • Wireless carrier
  • What data plan is being used if any.
  • Phone manufacture and model number.
Which features work
  • Handsfree
  • Phonebook transfer
  • SMS messaging
  • Data transfer (when testing try weather service as no subscription is required)
Please include anything you had to do, such as DUN settings, in-order to get it to work.

-----------
I'm trying to get a list of exactly which bluetooth profiles that TomTom uses. If I can get a list from them that will go along way toward figuring out what phones and other devices might work.

Example: If we know TomTom needs a given profile but we know the carrier blocks that profile we might be able to find out if we can unblock it using information from HowardForums.

I've talked to 2nd level tech support and they have forwarded my request and contact information to Product Development. We'll see what comes of it.
-----------

General Verizon setup information by DavidJVC.

-----------
Devices that members have tested:
GPS, Carrier, Manufacture & Model #, Reported by, Features that work & Link to post
---------------------------------------------------------------
  • GO 720, AT&T, Apple iPhone, radiationman, hands free and address book downloads. See post
  • GO ?, AT&T?, Nokia 6126, kenbard, hands free and address book, Questionable call quality. See post
  • GO ?, Sprint, Moto Q, posguy, Handsfree and adress book works, See post
  • GO ?, Verizon, Samsung SCH-u740, Boyd, Nothing worked, See post
  • GO 920, Verizon, Motorola V710, Timon, See post
  • GO 720, Verizon, Palm Treo700WX, DavidJVC, data and phone book work fine, See post
  • GO 920, Verizon, Palm Treo700WX, DavidJVC, See post
  • GO 920, ?, Samsung sch-u520, eddie3, See post
  • GO 720, Verizon, Blackberry Pearl, zeke73, See post
  • GO 920, T-Mobile, HTC Dash, dkoenig, See Post
  • GO 910, Verizon, Motorola E815, rtcamarata, See post.
  • GO 720, Verizon, Motorola v3m, ChillyCat, Was working, See post.
  • One LE, AT&T, Motorola V551, Krazy Jeff, See post.
  • GO 720, Sprint, Nokia, srallen, 6133, See post
  • GO 920, AT&T, Nokia N75, subarunut, See post
Note: In most cases if it works on a GO 720 it will work on a GO 920 and vice-versa.

SPRINT Sanyo SCP-8400

I have a sanyo scp8400 with a Sprint data plan and here is how I set it up:

1. Phone selection - other
2. Carrier selection - other
3. Access point - LEAVE THIS BLANK
4. username - LEAVE THIS BLANK
5. password - LEAVE THIS BLANK
6. number to dial - #777 (delete what this window shows on the tomtom and put the #777 in)
7.use DHCP auto
8. DNS auto
9. No scripts left blank for logon script LEAVE THIS BLANK

voise commands

Hallo there,

i have a nokia 8800, with voice command controle. Thas enybody nows of its work with a tomtom 720, and how, i do that. Is it possibele thats the question.

Whit regards, Henk

TomTom tested = GO 910
Wireless carrier = Verizon
data plan = None
Phone manufacture and model number = Motorola E815
Which features work
Handsfree (Y)
Phonebook transfer (Y)
SMS messaging (N)
Data transfer (N)

i have gotten the data transfer to work. I will post up the info after i get the info down on paper.

TomTom tested = GO 910
Wireless carrier = Verizon
data plan = None
Phone manufacture and model number = Motorola E815
Which features work
Handsfree (Y)
Phonebook transfer (Y)
SMS messaging (N)
Data transfer (N)

i have gotten the data transfer to work, here is the info:

Verizon Bluetooth settings.
phone number: #777

User name:
[email protected]

Password:
vzw

My Sprint Sanyo M1 works great with the Tomtom GO 720! Handsfree + Data + Phonebook. :cool:

Data access and my Samsung SCP-M520

Hi!

I was wondering if anybody could help me configure my phone for data transfer? My nav unit is a Tomtom Go 930 and my phone is a Samsung SCP-M520 and Sprint is my carrier. It makes and receives calls just find. Didn't try SMS at all. It will let me configure the unit for data transfer manually but I don't know what info to tell it. Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi!

I was wondering if anybody could help me configure my phone for data transfer? My nav unit is a Tomtom Go 930 and my phone is a Samsung SCP-M520 and Sprint is my carrier. It makes and receives calls just find. Didn't try SMS at all. It will let me configure the unit for data transfer manually but I don't know what info to tell it. Can anybody help me?

Hello MrBiggz

My Sprint phone was also not listed. What I did to get the data to work was manually configure the SMS settings. But like you I had no idea what settings to use so I did not enter any I just kept clicking ok without entering any info and when I was finished it worked!

TT 720 and Razr V3xx

Guys,

Need help, I am trying to get my new Razr V3xx with AT&T service to pair with my TT 720. I can make the bluetooth connection for hands free, but not the wireless data connection. Any ideas on specific settings I need to try? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Hi!

as I previously indicated above, the following works for me on Sprint:
6. number to dial - #777 (delete what this window shows on the tomtom and put the #777 in)
7.use DHCP auto
8. DNS auto

as I previously indicated above, the following works for me on Sprint:
7.use DHCP auto
8. DNS auto

This method does not work on a Samsung M520 and the Tomtom Go 930. I did however contact sprint via email customer service. You get better service with email for sprint. They forwarded all the information on to the tech department. I was getting an error on the phone (error #67) and it had to do with username and password. Go figure! When I find out I'll post it! :eek:

Verizon / Blackberry Pearl 8130 / Go 920

TomTom tested: Go 920
Carrier: Verizon
Data Plan: Blackberry BES Unlimited w/ BBA (broadband access / tethering) option
Phone: Blackberry Pearl 8130

What works: hands-free, TomTom traffic, weather, phonebook transfer
What doesn't work: read/write messages

What did I do to make it work: Follow DAvidJVC's excellent instructions.

I had to go through this procedure three times, as the first two times TT reported that it was unable to connect. I don't know how it actually verifies the connection, but if it does so by contacting TT servers using the connection, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the failures were caused by TT servers failing to respond in a timely manner.

I've seen a lot of talk about Verizon requiring you to have the tethering option added for $15 per month in order to get this to work. What I discovered is that although tethering is required, it's not necessarily $15 per month. When you add a tethering option, what you're basically doing is signing up for a Broadband Access plan, but you're using your phone instead of an additional device with its own separate plan. In doing so, the data plan charges (including the tethering) MUST add up to at least $60 - what you would be charged for a separate plan using a separate device.

In my case I wanted the $30 BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) plan and a tethering plan, meaning that the tethering would cost me $30 per month. It actually works out that they have to setup the $45 BES (Blackberry Enterprise...) plus a $15 data plan - which still adds up to $60. While they do have a $30 tethering option, they were somehow unable to add it when there was a BIS plan already active. Strangely enough though, they had no problem setting me up for a $45 BES plan + a $30 tethering plan when I first signed up with Verizon (yeah, sign me up for $75 worth of data plans, when there's a feature-equivalent combination available for $60 - who wouldn't want that!?)

I had to go through 3 customer service reps in the store before finding someone who understood the "logic" behind their inability to add a $30 BIS plan + $15 tethering plan on the same line - they insist on charging me a minimum of $60, and those two options don't cost enough. And to top it off there a 5GB per month cap on tethered data transfer. (not a problem if your only tethered use is TT traffic, but still...)

If they had an option where they could enable tethering for free, and then charge me per MB (even at their standard $1.99 per MB rate) I would take that in a heartbeat when compared to an additional $30 per month.

FYI - T-Mobile has unlimited internet or unlimited blackberry for 19.95 ($10 more for enterprise). The blackberry plan is also a data plan - you don't need both.

Verizon and AT&T data plans are outrageous - the main reason I may never get an IPhone (until the gray market for unlocked units comes down to reasonable).

T-Mobile service works with many more devices for data, etc. then TomTom lists.

AT&T Motorola Moto Q9h with WM6.0 connected to GO 720

• TomTom tested = GO 720
  • Firmware Rev. = 8.010
  • Map Version = 720.1803
  • Wireless carrier = AT&T
  • What data plan is being used if any = Unlimited Data Plan
  • Phone manufacture and model number = Motorola Moto Q9h
    Which features work?
  • Handsfree = YES
  • Phonebook transfer = YES
  • SMS messaging = NO
  • Data transfer YES, including Traffic(when testing try weather service as no subscription is required)

Motorola Moto Q9h instructions

1. Go to Start -> Applications -> Bluetooth -> Bluetooth Manager -> Settings
a. Status: Bluetooth On
b. My Bluetooth Name: 'your choice' This will be the name of the phone in TomTom menu.
c. Check - Allow other Bluetooth devices to see this phone
d. Click on the Menu soft button -> Paired Devices
e. If TomTom GO XXX appears then click on Menu Softbutton -> Delete if not go to next step
f. Click Done soft button

TomTom GO 720 instructions

1. Tap on Main Screen -> Mobile Phone Icon -> Manage Phones Icon
If your current phone has been setup once then delete that profile connections - It will have the name of the Bluetooth device that you set in Step 1b above if you have already setup phone before.

2. Tap on Main Screen -> Mobile Phone Icon (You will get a popup say "To use the hands-free features, you need to establish a Bluetooth connection between your phone and your TomTom GO 720. Do you want to do that now?

Tap on YES

3. Mobile phone - Please make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on your phone. Start searching for phones now?

Tap on YES

4. Please confirm: Connect to 'your name' (Name you gave your phone bluetooth connection)

Tap on YES

5. Checking phone features - If your phone asks for a password, enter '0000'
Moto Q9h - enter 0000 and choose Accept all connections from this device
Moto Q9h - click on Accept
6. Congratulations! - The phone 'your name' is now ready for hands-free calling. The following features were found: Hands-free calling, Wireless data connection, Phonebook.

Tap on CONTINUE

About Bluetooth connections

Tip: to prevent your phone for always asking for the password, set your phone to 'trust', 'always allow', 'authorize' or 'automatically connect to your TomTom GO 720

Tap on CONTINUE

8. TomTom Services

To use TomTom Services, you need to set up a wireless data connection. Do you want to do this now?

Tap on YES

9. 'your name'

If your phone asks for a password enter '0000'

10. Next screen ask you to select your phone model:

Click on OTHER

11. Select your country

Click on United States

12. Select your provider:

Click on Cingular Wireless (media works)

Note: I originally had Cingular before the merge. I think you can verify Media orks by going to you Moto Q9h menu and tapping on Start -> -> System Tools -> Settings -> More -> Connections -> Menu -> Enter and check if Internet connection is set to Media Net.

13. To guarantee an optimal user experience, TomTom would like to send some technical details to the server (once). Press 'I agree' to allow this, or 'Skip' if you do not wish these details be sent. These details are not specific to you or your device.

13a. Congratulations! Your wireless data connection has been set up. Your TomTom GO 720 is now ready for TomTom Services.

Tap on CONTINUE

14. Get numbers from phone

Do you want to copy the phonebook form your mobile phone to your TomTom Go 720? (Note: this may take a few minutes)

Tap on NO (Do this from the TomTom phone menu at later date)

Tap on I agree

If you mess up, clear bluetooth connections pairings in phone and TomTom and try again.

Good Luck!!

TT Go 730- Nextel i-880

I have a TT GO 730 and a Nextel i-880. Hands free phone features work fine other than using "Recent caller" because of + sign added at the beginning of the numbers and "Get numbers from phone". Get numbers was not a big deal. I made a contacts.txt file for Phonebook in "Name","Number" format. Through research on this forum (Thanks!!! to the experts here, Nextel won't help you...), I found the Nextel dialup number of "s=2". I have successfully used this info to create a dialup connection and access the internet on my PDA while on the road and am confident it would work on the TomTom but for one small problem. There is no way to enter the dialup number s=2 because the only options on the "Dial" keyboard are +,-,#,* and numbers. Does anyone have any ideas or know how to manually edit the Internet Connection settings? Plan B is to use my PDA (Live Search has free Weather, Fuel Prices and Traffic) but I cannot connect my PDA to, or transfer this info to the TomTom where it would be really useful. I know my phone is not listed as compatible for Data Connect but I'm so close it's bothering me.

I have a TT GO 730 and a Nextel i-880. Hands free phone features work fine other than using "Recent caller" because of + sign added at the beginning of the numbers and "Get numbers from phone". Get numbers was not a big deal. I made a contacts.txt file for Phonebook in "Name","Number" format. Through research on this forum (Thanks!!! to the experts here, Nextel won't help you...), I found the Nextel dialup number of "s=2". I have successfully used this info to create a dialup connection and access the internet on my PDA while on the road and am confident it would work on the TomTom but for one small problem. There is no way to enter the dialup number s=2 because the only options on the "Dial" keyboard are +,-,#,* and numbers. Does anyone have any ideas or know how to manually edit the Internet Connection settings? Plan B is to use my PDA (Live Search has free Weather, Fuel Prices and Traffic) but I cannot connect my PDA to, or transfer this info to the TomTom where it would be really useful. I know my phone is not listed as compatible for Data Connect but I'm so close it's bothering me.

I was able to do it on my 920. I don't have it in front of me right now, but if I recall correctly, if you switch to the numeric keypad there should be two "symbol" keys there that allow you to go to another screen - one of which contains the = sign.

I had problems with the TT failing to resume the hands-free connection after making a data connection, so I eventually disabled the hands-free function.

BTW, I'm now using a Blackberry 8130 on Verizon, which theoretically has a astronomically faster data rate the any iDEN phone, but I haven't seen any difference in speed when it comes to downloading traffic data or fuel prices.

That's where the problem is. I've got a fairly new 730 and I think they've changed the setup dialogs. There is no option to select or change to another keyboard that would allow s=2 entry. I am stuck with one that has #,* , back, space and numbers only. I bet if I could get my hands on an older copy of the connect to the internet files and replace the newer ones I might be able to select keyboards. I think the files are;connect2internet.db, connect2internet.db.encode, connect2internet.so and connect2internet.ver.
but this is just a guess.

Verizon, Samsung i730 TT730

Able to easily set up hands-free calling and phonebook download.

Follow-on question is how do I delete phone book entries on the TT730?

go920/T-Mobile/Blackberry Curve 8320

GO 920
T-Mobile
Maximum data plan
Balckberry Curve 8320 - OS v4.2.2.180
Handsfree - working fine, volume a little low from speaker, but so far I have not been able to get phone audio on FM transmitter yet.
Phonebook transfer - no problem
SMS messaging - nothing working
Data transfer - nothing working
I use a laptop (Lenovo x61s with XPpro)and can happily use a dial-up connection via Bluetooth to my 8320 and use it as a modem. No problems with this. For the TomTom unit I have tried all the variants of APN, passname, password, and AT command string that I can find that is relevant, with no success
(For reference, what works from the laptop is: -
APN =wap.voicestream.com
passname =
password =
at+cgdcont=1, "IP","wap.voicestream.com")

Anyone got any new ideas???

Ask a Question