Bluetooth: What Carrier's phones work and don't work: All models

TomTom Memory Cleaner

Gaw --

I thought exactly as you do, but I suspected something. When I reset the TomTom 730 to the factory settings, I started it up very far away from any sattelite signals. But, the TomTom knew where it was. It remembered its previous location!

So, I knew that it kept some memory even when it was reset. Give it a try.

Then -- I found something called the "Clear Flash Utility" at http://www.tomtom.com/updates/ttgo510-710.clear_flash.exe.

While I do not have proof, I think it writes some information to Flash, which is not reset when you return to factory settings. In my case, I now believe that the Bluetooth settings are kept in flash.

TomTom 730 and the T-Mobile BlackBerry Curve 8320

Sageuvagony,

I spent a day trying to get the Curve to work. And, now it does for both voice and data. (TomTom Go 730, T-mobile, BlackBerry Curve 8320 with v4.5 software.)

Here is my trick:
1. Upgrade your BlackBerry from the T-mobile site if it is not at v4.5. Also update the TomTom, just to be sure.
2. Rename your BlackBerry in the Bluetooth settings. (Options --> Bluetooth --> Options --> Device Name) I think that this step is important. I gave the BlackBerry a short four letter name.
3. Start the Bluetooth connection from the TomTom. Go through the process. I chose the BlackBerry 8100 and T-Mobile I. It will fail at 65%.
4. Go for the manual configuration. Change the IP address to wap.voicestream.com. Accept the default for everything else.

That's it. It worked. Good luck!

There is no way to enter the dialup number s=2 because the only options on the "Dial" keyboard are +,-,#,* and numbers. Does anyone have any ideas or know how to manually edit the Internet Connection settings?

I hit this exact same problem myself with my new Motorola i335 and TomTom Go 920(T). The solution, such as it is, is to downgrade back to an older TomTom Go release (in my case, I used a backup of Go 7.221) and the alphanumeric keyboard will become accessible once again. You can then enter the setup required, and upgrade the TomTom back to the current release again through TomTom Home.

It's far from an optimal process, but better than nothing. I was hoping the settings would be located in a user-editable file somewhere, but they're not - I've found them in settings.dat which is not a file that can safely be user-edited.

Hopefully TomTom will restore our access to the alphanumeric keyboard for the Dial screen in a future release. I don't look forward to having to do this all over again if the setup needs changing in the future. :(

Blackberry Storm 9530

Upgraded from 8830 to Storm 9530 from Verizon. Used 8830 with TT920 traffic without a problem.

Cannot get wireless data to work on 9530. Tethering is enabled and tested on laptop.

I never get to where you select your phone model, country and provider. It goes right to "Do you want to set up manually?" When I say yes, I do:

Access point vzw3g
username (e-mail address removed)
password vzw
IP Address is automatic and DNS is automatic.
Dial is #777 and nothing on login script.

TT tries to confirm wireless settings and I get "Unable to set up your wireless data connection. Do you want to change your settings?"

Just logging this problem in this thread, as I imagine there probably isn't a fix nor are there many members that have the Storm and TT product.

I just recieved my brand new Sidekick 2008 in the mail that I ordered from T-Mobile. Well I thought I would add to this list that a Sidekick (no matter what kind) will absolutely NOT work with the TomTom at ALL for wireless data services. The ONLY feature that will work is Hands free calling, and is pretty slow even at that. I have tried MANY other phones with bluetooth and they all work nicely with hands free calling, but the sidekick was just laggy and would even freeze the TomTom up at times. I tried both a Sidekick 2008 and a Sidekick Slide and both were slow/choppy when it came to Hands free calling.

The Sidekick doesn't even show up as having any other features available EXCEPT for hands free calling in the features list when you pair the 2 devices together. The TomTom even gives a red screen message saying "Your phone doesn't seem to be able to support Wireless Data services... etc"

HTC Diamond Touch works for hands free and data

I paired a Diamond Touch very easily with my 920 on T-Mobile. Did not even have to do manually like with Blackberry 8120.

I selected both T-Mobile I and II on the setup screen, and both choices worked. In setting up data services, the Diamond is not on the list, so I selected HTC TyTn as the device.

Wish they were all as easy as this one.

Please be as complete as you can when posting what works and does not work. Please include the following:

• TomTom tested, i.e. GO 920
  • Wireless carrier
  • What data plan is being used if any.
  • Phone manufacture and model number.
  • Which features work
  • Handsfree
  • Phonebook transfer
  • SMS messaging
  • Data transfer (when testing try weather service as no subscription is required)

TT 920
Connected to Telus
Using a HTC Touch Diamond with Data plan
Handsfree Y
Phonebook transfer Y
SMS N
Data transfer Y to weather, but haven't got any TT plus apps to work
When pairing I had to setup data manually. Did not enter username, password, or script. Changed DUN to #777. I also found that if I increased the Bitpool settings on the Diamond, sound was improved significantly

TomTom tested: GO 930
Wireless carrier: Verizon

data plan: old per-minute data usage plan... not officially supported
Phone: Motorola E815

Which features work:
Handsfree: Yes
Phonebook transfer: Yes
SMS messaging: No
Data transfer: Yes

To enable data transfer, have a phone with DUN enabled (##DIALUP on some firmwares if I remember correctly, otherwise check howardforums) then use user: (e-mail address removed) and pass "vzw", #777 for phone number

Go 720 and US cellular

Go 720

Us Cellular

Unlimited Data Package

Motorola Q9

for USCC leave everything blank except for the "Dial" #777.

All TT plus services, handsfree, but not the phonebook

TomTom tested, GO 920
Wireless carrier, AT&T
data plan, Media Works
Phone manufacture and model number, HTC tYtN II. IE..(at&t tilt running Windows mobile 6.1

phone book. Yes
handsfree. Yes
SMS. No (if anyone has any info on making it work please lemme know)
data connection. Yes

Note. I did have to manually set the proxy settings for the data connection. Also I did not have to use the DUN_CAB file hack to make it work as other people have with this phone. You may need to depending on your version of windows mobile.
*The biggest complaint I have with this set-up is phone calls seem to only work with the speaker and not through the FM modulator, which seems to work only when it wants to anyway. The no SMS is also an issue I would like to get worked out. Any info that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

T-MOBILE Blackberry phone with TomTom

TomTom tested, ONE 2nd Edition, running V7.903
Wireless carrier, T-MOBILE, USA
data plan, Blackberry service connecting to corporate BES email
Phone manufacture and model number, Blackberry Curve 8320, running V4.5.0.81

Prep steps:
1. Setup your account on www.t-mobile.com with your cell number and your own password. You will need it for the wap logon setup on the TomTom.
2. Check you have the latest Blackberry firmware installed - I needed to upgrade my new Blackberry 8320 to V4.5.0.81 before it would connect.
3. Pair the phone bluetooth connection with the TomTom (set the blackberry Bluetooth to "discoverable" first)

Now, on the TomTom...in the "Manage Phones" function....
Select "Blackberry 8310"
Select "United States"
Select T-Mobile US (I)
It fails at 65%...select "Manual"
Change the APN to "wap.voicestream.com"
Add your blackberry phone number as the Username
Add your account password you setup on www.t-mobile.com
Select "automatic" for DHCP
Select "automatic" for DNS
Leave the dial string as "*99#"
Leave the AT string as "at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com""

You are now connected!

phone book. No - not provided by TomTom One V2
handsfree. No - not provided by TomTom One V2
SMS. No - not provided by TomTom One V2
data connection. Yes - TomTom data connection services, for real-time traffic, weather, etc.

Hey ladies and gents. I have a TT 720. I had a Sprint Palm Centro that I got to use hands free with relative ease, never messed with the data side of things.

Now I have the Samsung Instinct and cant get it to do either. The TT recognizes the Instinct but wont sucessfully complete hands free or data operations. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

T-Mobile Sansung Behold - works on hands free only so far. The TomTom gives message that device is not set up for data services, so it ends the setup there.

If anyone has gotten one to tether to T-Mobile (some device forums indicate some have been able to tether it by tweaking settings), it may also then handle data services when tethered.

If anyone has had any success with tethering - please post.

Tested on TT 720, map NA 8.15, Appl version 8.3
Verizon is the carrier, Casio G'One Type S is the phone (its the water proof, shock proof, dust proof model)
Pairing took some messing with, had to put phone in discovery mode and then when the TT 720 was trying to pair, had to back the phone out to the BlueTooth settings screen, then the TT 720 saw it.
Phonebook settings do NOT work
Data transfering does NOT work
Only features that work are hands free calling. This phone is not high-tech.

If i missed some data I will try to come back and update it.

TomTom tested, GO 720
Wireless carrier, Telecom
What data plan is being used if any. None
Phone manufacture and model number. Nokia 6275i
Which features work
Handsfree, Yes
Phonebook transfer, Yes
SMS messaging, NA
Data transfer no

can not set up as manual as do not know the setting for nokia 6275i or telecom in NZ. rang Telecom and they had no idea, really helpful - nOT

Compatable Verizon phone

I have an LG Vx8300 cell phone for the Verizon network. It was able to hook up (get married) to my TomTom 720 (apparantly converted to a 730 after some downloads) with very little trouble. This allows me to use the 720 (730?) as a bluetooth speaker phone with very satisfactory results. However data downloads to activate weather and traffic will work ONLY with a tethered data connection the present cost of which is $59.99 per month. I was advised that this set up (a wireless pcmica type card) enables wireless internet browsing with a laptop and includes 5gb. This is why it is so costly. Perhaps in the future I am told, Verizon will make available a plan taylored more for GPS use and at a lower cost. I'll not hold my breath.
I thought I'd start this thread to keep in one location what Bluetooth phones seem to work and not work along with any information we get from TomTom.

I'll edit this message with updated with information found in any messages that follow much the same as they do over on GPSPassions.

If this seems to work out maybe the admins might make this a sticky.

Please be as complete as you can when posting what works and does not work. Please include the following:
  • TomTom tested, i.e. GO 920
  • Wireless carrier
  • What data plan is being used if any.
  • Phone manufacture and model number.
Which features work
  • Handsfree
  • Phonebook transfer
  • SMS messaging
  • Data transfer (when testing try weather service as no subscription is required)
Please include anything you had to do, such as DUN settings, in-order to get it to work.

-----------
I'm trying to get a list of exactly which bluetooth profiles that TomTom uses. If I can get a list from them that will go along way toward figuring out what phones and other devices might work.

Example: If we know TomTom needs a given profile but we know the carrier blocks that profile we might be able to find out if we can unblock it using information from HowardForums.

I've talked to 2nd level tech support and they have forwarded my request and contact information to Product Development. We'll see what comes of it.
-----------

General Verizon setup information by DavidJVC.

-----------
Devices that members have tested:
GPS, Carrier, Manufacture & Model #, Reported by, Features that work & Link to post
---------------------------------------------------------------
  • GO 720, AT&T, Apple iPhone, radiationman, hands free and address book downloads. See post
  • GO ?, AT&T?, Nokia 6126, kenbard, hands free and address book, Questionable call quality. See post
  • GO ?, Sprint, Moto Q, posguy, Handsfree and adress book works, See post
  • GO ?, Verizon, Samsung SCH-u740, Boyd, Nothing worked, See post
  • GO 920, Verizon, Motorola V710, Timon, See post
  • GO 720, Verizon, Palm Treo700WX, DavidJVC, data and phone book work fine, See post
  • GO 920, Verizon, Palm Treo700WX, DavidJVC, See post
  • GO 920, ?, Samsung sch-u520, eddie3, See post
  • GO 720, Verizon, Blackberry Pearl, zeke73, See post
  • GO 920, T-Mobile, HTC Dash, dkoenig, See Post
  • GO 910, Verizon, Motorola E815, rtcamarata, See post.
  • GO 720, Verizon, Motorola v3m, ChillyCat, Was working, See post.
  • One LE, AT&T, Motorola V551, Krazy Jeff, See post.
  • GO 720, Sprint, Nokia, srallen, 6133, See post
  • GO 920, AT&T, Nokia N75, subarunut, See post
Note: In most cases if it works on a GO 720 it will work on a GO 920 and vice-versa.

Handsfree ONLY using GO 920 & Tracfone LG-600 G

No data connection available with Tracfone (looks like our Trackfone LG 600G is going through T-Mobile). Tracfone does NOT have full featured phone plans, just basic pre-paid communication, and that works OK with the GO 920

Hands free speaker phone type operation seems to work pretty good. After turning bluetooth on and doing the basic bluetooth setup to pair the Go 920 and the LG 600 G, the TomTom automatically connects every time the Go 920 starts up and if the TomTom cannot find the phone (bluetooth turned off on phone) it informs you it could not connect. We tested calling out and receiving calls, seems to work OK. File transfer did not work.

It will not be too good on an old Harley, the outgoing speaker can be routed through our helmet headset via the intercom, but I don't know how to bypass the internal Go 920 microphone - I am sure the road noises will be too great for talking via the TomTom unless we are stopped and have the engine turned off.

As with most speaker phones, there does tend to be a lot of background noise.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Data settings worked with my new Curve 8900 (calling it a BB 8800).

TomTom tested - 730
Phone - AT&T Curve 8300
firmware v4.5.0.124
Blackberry Data Plan

phone book. Yes
handsfree. Yes
SMS. No
Data Connection. Yes (traffic & weather) :)

I had to manually set the access. I used the following:

APN: wap.cingular
Username: (e-mail address removed)
Password: CINGULAR1
(other settings were automatic)

If you are having problems getting your TomTom to connect to your blackberry, try updating to the latest firmware version. I got the latest from www.crackberry.com (I don't think AT&T had the latest version when I updated).

Last edited:
TomTom GO 720 v8.xxx
* Provider: AT&T
* What data plan: N/A
* Phone: Samsung SGH-D900i (Vodafone-Unlocked)

* Handsfree: Yes
* Phonebook transfer: No
* SMS messaging: No
* Data transfer: No

Ask a Question