Bluetooth: What Carrier's phones work and don't work: All models

my Raza

I thought I'd start this thread to keep in one location what Bluetooth phones seem to work and not work along with any information we get from TomTom.

I'll edit this message with updated with information found in any messages that follow much the same as they do over on GPSPassions.

If this seems to work out maybe the admins might make this a sticky.

Please be as complete as you can when posting what works and does not work. Please include the following:
  • TomTom tested, i.e. GO 920
  • Wireless carrier
  • What data plan is being used if any.
  • Phone manufacture and model number.
Which features work
  • Handsfree
  • Phonebook transfer
  • SMS messaging
  • Data transfer (when testing try weather service as no subscription is required)
Please include anything you had to do, such as DUN settings, in-order to get it to work.

-----------
I'm trying to get a list of exactly which bluetooth profiles that TomTom uses. If I can get a list from them that will go along way toward figuring out what phones and other devices might work.

Example: If we know TomTom needs a given profile but we know the carrier blocks that profile we might be able to find out if we can unblock it using information from HowardForums.

I've talked to 2nd level tech support and they have forwarded my request and contact information to Product Development. We'll see what comes of it.
-----------

General Verizon setup information by DavidJVC.

-----------
Devices that members have tested:
GPS, Carrier, Manufacture & Model #, Reported by, Features that work & Link to post
---------------------------------------------------------------
  • GO 720, AT&T, Apple iPhone, radiationman, hands free and address book downloads. See post
  • GO ?, AT&T?, Nokia 6126, kenbard, hands free and address book, Questionable call quality. See post
  • GO ?, Sprint, Moto Q, posguy, Handsfree and adress book works, See post
  • GO ?, Verizon, Samsung SCH-u740, Boyd, Nothing worked, See post
  • GO 920, Verizon, Motorola V710, Timon, See post
  • GO 720, Verizon, Palm Treo700WX, DavidJVC, data and phone book work fine, See post
  • GO 920, Verizon, Palm Treo700WX, DavidJVC, See post
  • GO 920, ?, Samsung sch-u520, eddie3, See post
  • GO 720, Verizon, Blackberry Pearl, zeke73, See post
  • GO 920, T-Mobile, HTC Dash, dkoenig, See Post
  • GO 910, Verizon, Motorola E815, rtcamarata, See post.
  • GO 720, Verizon, Motorola v3m, ChillyCat, Was working, See post.
  • One LE, AT&T, Motorola V551, Krazy Jeff, See post.
  • GO 720, Sprint, Nokia, srallen, 6133, See post
  • GO 920, AT&T, Nokia N75, subarunut, See post
Note: In most cases if it works on a GO 720 it will work on a GO 920 and vice-versa.

I have a AT&T Raza 2 V9 and it works wonderfully. The minuit you turn on my 920 even if my cell is in my pocket, My tom tom instantly connects via bluetooth to my cell. Also on the website it says that it cannot download my cell addresses. It did it the first time. Great phone 3G.. I have ulnlimited data for $15. I use this date for Tom Tom traffic, cordless speakerphone, and wireless blue tooth feature

Last edited:
TomTom GO 730 v. 8.302/8.25 map
* Provider: Verizon
* What data plan: don't subscribe
* Phone: Samsung SCH-A930 & LG EnV2 (VX9100)

* Handsfree: Yes
* Phonebook transfer: No with Samsung, Yes with the EnV2
* SMS messaging: No
* Data transfer: N/A

Also:

Motorolal HT820 Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones for mp3 and/or directions

Last edited:
T-Mobile Sansung Behold - works on hands free only so far. The TomTom gives message that device is not set up for data services, so it ends the setup there.

If anyone has gotten one to tether to T-Mobile (some device forums indicate some have been able to tether it by tweaking settings), it may also then handle data services when tethered.

If anyone has had any success with tethering - please post.

Ditto for Sampson Memoir (basically the same as the Behold). TMo has locked it down with respect to tethering (ie - connecting a Bluetooth device or a laptop by USB through a data connection to their server), and it would take a new or hacked firmware app to unlock it.

TomTom tested: Go 920
Wireless carrier: Sprint
What data plan: Unlimited data, but no phone as modem tethering plan
Phone manufacture and model number. Palm Treo 755p

Which features work
Handsfree: Yes
Phonebook transfer: Partial -- it transferred only my favorites that were on my favorites buttons
SMS messaging: Haven't tried yet.
Data transfer: Yes - tried Weather. Don't have any other subscription yet.

DUN Settings:
Provider: Chose "Other".
Access point: Power Vision (with the space between words)
UserID: [The username found in the Phone Info dialog box]
Password: Leave the password blank
Script: No script
Dial: #777

PAN support

Please TomTom, add PAN support! DUN is so early 2000's!

PAN would allow the following phones to be used for data connections:

• Upcoming iPhone 3.0
  • Windows Mobile 6.1 phones (such as the Epix, Omin, Fuze...)
  • Upcoming Windows Mobile 6.5 phones

Does anyone have an idea where tomtom stands on this? Would anyone consider starting a petition for them to include PAN support?

TomTom tested: Go 920
Wireless carrier: Sprint
What data plan: Unlimited data, but no phone as modem tethering plan
Phone manufacture and model number. Palm Treo 755p

Which features work
Handsfree: Yes
Phonebook transfer: Partial -- it transferred only my favorites that were on my favorites buttons
SMS messaging: Haven't tried yet.
Data transfer: Yes - tried Weather. Don't have any other subscription yet.

DUN Settings:
Provider: Chose "Other".
Access point: Power Vision (with the space between words)
UserID: [The username found in the Phone Info dialog box]
Password: Leave the password blank
Script: No script
Dial: #777

Really?? This worked?? I have been trolling all over the ******* internet for a straight answer on this one. I had this working at one point a long time back (over a 2 years ago) when I had just received my GO 720. I have since updated its firmware and some other stuff which probably is messing with this some too. I almost recall using a script to initiate the connection to the phone and start dialing #777. I might have borrowed and modified another carrier's connection script but I do remember it working. I thought I even wrote it down but I can't find that. I might have emailed a co-worker who also has a GO 720 and is on Sprint network here in the PNW.

Can anyone else shed any light on this for Sprint network. I have tried so many settings I am blue in the face. Also is there a proper sequence to take leading up to entering these settings? (e.g. reset TomTom, pair with phone, attempt to access TomTom weather for wireless data setup settings input, etc.)

Thanks to everyone who has posted successful settings here!!

Dubhead:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the LGRumor and it worked for me. I had to call support to get the Vision Power password as my account was reset.

My Blackberry Curve connected with no issues. Didn't have to enter username, password - the access point and return return for the other prompts.

Loving the BT and TT.

Nokia on ATT-Cingular works well. I previously had N75 and have upgraded to E71(unlocked). Both work the same way: data for TT services, handsfree, address book upload, no messages though. Only problem is on my way to work where there is a gap between towers. I always seem to be checking traffic when I hit that. By the time I pass that section I only have a mile to go_Oh, well, maybe when the update the towers to 3G.

Yeah, I'm dreamin

I had been struggling to set up wireless data connection with my Q9H on ATT.

Had not tried 'Cingular (media works)' until I read your post. Great help. Now working and all set up.

Thank you.

The new 8.350 application was supposed to improve phonebook transfer. Has anyone seen if other aspects of bluetooth compatibility / reliability was improved?

Smart Phones and TTs - Nada so far!

Please TomTom, add PAN support! DUN is so early 2000's!

PAN would allow the following phones to be used for data connections:

• Upcoming iPhone 3.0
  • Windows Mobile 6.1 phones (such as the Epix, Omin, Fuze...)
  • Upcoming Windows Mobile 6.5 phones

Does anyone have an idea where tomtom stands on this? Would anyone consider starting a petition for them to include PAN support?
Risotto, I have a WM6.1 phone that I've tried everything recommended and not, to no avail. Was able to get HandsFree working OK, but via PAN TT730 just kept refusing the data connection via BlueTooth even if GPRS is alive. PAN data connection to my PC worked fine thus phone worked as PC modem.

I have begged TT to tell me if there are going to be any WM-based phones on the compatibility horizon, and they just give a general statement about future devices, then point me to their official compatibility list, which has NO "smart phones."

There are some tweaks... none of which worked for me, but maybe worth your look at this thread.

I would think Microsoft might have an interest in this situation. Hmmm.... think I'll drop them a note!

Last edited:
I have a Samsung U540 on Telus (CDMA)
Have not successfully gotten data to work, nor text messaging,
but the other features work fine on my Go 720 (latest updates as of yesterday)

I did have some problems initially setting it up, I had to not only tell the phone to "go visible for 1 minute"
(as that's the only other option besides 'hidden') but I also had to pre-emptively add the Go 720 to the phone (from the phone's side adding in the 0000) to pair it before trying to add it from the Go 720.

After adding it, the phone book transferred over, and I can do hands free calling.
Cannot seem to get data connection working but I am not sure what Telus' settings should be for the script or anything else, and the only options that show up by default for carrier are Fido and Rogers.

after 8.351 my bluetooth mysteriously no longer works. it can do the whole "up to 40%" and then that's it, basically saying it can function for data (but as per prior post, that doesn't really work, it looks like)

so yeah, 8.351 (had 8.350 before) broke my bluetooth functionality with Samsung U540

---=-==--=-=-=----
edit: after like, 10 tries, and then the unit running out of battery it looked like.. and then fully rebooting, i was able to get my phone to recognize it again.. its possible it just needed that full restart (maybe a pin reset woulda done it)

now it's back up and paired. false alarm

Last edited:
Palm Treo 680

Here's results with my Palm Treo 680 (desperately trying to die so that it can be replaced with a Pre or an iPhone 3GS):

TomTom = 930T

Phone = Palm Treo 680

Carrier = AT&T Wireless (formerly Cingular)

Handsfree = Yes = Volume is low, but it works.

Phonebook transfer = Partial = Numbers only, not names, and it doesn't copy all of them (I think it only copies what's in the lists of recently dialed/received calls).

Wireless data = FAIL = I tried pretty much everything people have recommended on this forum. It stalls out at 65%. The Palm reports an error message "Network Response: Operation Failed". Neither Cingular nor AT&T settings worked.

Krellan, does the data work for a laptop via bluetooth? Did you try a downgrade to app 8.302?

No, it didn't work with a laptop (I tried a Mac, which is generally pretty good at speaking Bluetooth). It couldn't complete the pairing, either.

I had originally tried it on app 8.302 beforehand. No luck either.

If the phone doesn't work with a mac, it's probably an issue with your data plan and/or phone configuration.

I'd suggest calling up AT&T and work with them to get the Treo working with your mac (mac's are common enough that they should know how).

Once it works on the Mac, then try the Tomtom medianet configuration posted previously.

That's the thing. I don't want to call up AT&T, because the first thing they'd try to do is hit me with the "tethering" surcharge... $80.00/month!

Evidently, some AT&T accounts already had default settings in their system as being enabled for tethering, even though the subscriber never explicitly ordered tethering, and was never billed for it. As long as usage is kept to a minimum, this "mistake" won't be noticed by AT&T. It's just a function of when and where your AT&T account was originally set up. From reports of what I've read here, this seems to be the case with several others. I guess I'm not as lucky.

Anyone here work for AT&T, and could subtly flip the bit in my account that enables tethering? Thanks :)

EDIT - since 8/24 Tmo is no longer permitting bluetooth data on any phone except their own Tmobile branded smartphones. So the option below no longer applies. See here.

Yikes, $80/month to tether.

You may want to check out T-mobile then:
- $10/month for the first 100mb,
- $0.25/meg afterwards, for the next 60 megs
- Unlimited usage afterward at no addl cost (prior costs total $25/month)
- There's a severe bandwidth slowdown after a few gigs, but the connection never cuts off

Using PLUS traffic/weather via bluetooth, and everyday wap for forums and news on the phone minibrowser (I disable images), I never come close to 100mb per month.

Last edited:
TomTom Go XL-S with Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330

Here is what I used to get plus services working with my Blackberry Curve on the Sprint network.

Phone Model: Blackberry Curve 8330
Mobile Carrier: Other
APN: proxy
Phone # to dial: #777
username:
password:
IP Address: Automatically assigned (DHCP)
DNS: Automatically assigned
Login Script:

I hope this helps some of you TomTom and Blackberry owners out there.

Ask a Question