XL vs. One XL?

I find TomTom's model naming a bit confusing. I have an XL330S, but there is also a model called One XL; and, in fact, when I power on my device the splash screen says "TomTom One". From the manuals the main difference I see is that the One XL has an SD slot but the XL330S doesn't. Can anyone enlighten me on the model hierarchy in general, and/or the XL issue in particular?

Thanks,
Mark

TT ONE models are the most confusing of the lot. They are supposed to be the lower end models that TT can price cheaply. They usually have 1GB of internal memory but have heard of an Australian model with 512MB, locally distributed. They feature the same highly integrated Samsung chipset (cpu, mem controller, IO, clock, gps chipset, display & speaker crtlr etc.) that has the old USB v1.1 interface. It usually has 32MB of RAM but the XL-S has 64MB of RAM to supplement the slower cpu vs the GO for the tts feature. Only a few web sites reveal the nitty gritty about their internals such as the gps chipset used, cpu speed etc.

My assumption on the model proliferation is that TT tries to provide them as cheap as it can and has case/attachment changes that makes it issue new model numbers bringing everchanging model ONE designations. There is also the aspect that if they provide more features to ONE models, it would steer away the more expesive/profitable GO sales.

Actually, I was wrong about the splash screen on my XL330S; it really says TomTom XL. The USB 1.1 interface explains why it takes so long to update or backup. I did notice that what passes for "specifications" from TomTom is pretty light on details, which I find a bit irritating.

Ah, well, it does the job for me at the moment.

Thanks,
Mark

Actually, I was wrong about the splash screen on my XL330S; it really says TomTom XL. The USB 1.1 interface explains why it takes so long to update or backup. I did notice that what passes for "specifications" from TomTom is pretty light on details, which I find a bit irritating.

Ah, well, it does the job for me at the moment.

Thanks,
Mark

The common ONE USB v1.1 standard has gotten me to be really happy getting an SDHC card for my XL-S which I use solely with its card reader which speeds things up tremendously. I've been told this old standard is also responsible for ONE models not being able to use both internal memory and SD card, it is an either internal memory or SD card and requires the whole content of internal memory to be copied to the SD card for ONE models to operate from the SD card.

As for the splash screen, I've found one, in a thread here, that identifies my XL-S as an XL-S instead of the original XL. I've also modified the car icon to show my own car which I photographed and modified to TT's requirement because I could not find any Chrysler Intrepid icons.

As for TT's detailed specs, it does leave to be desired. Places like here will tell you much more.

I know that the longer I use my TT, the more I tend to use it. Last night, it was really lousy weather with icy rain and very slippery secondary roads and strong gusts. I had to go for dinner at my niece's house and wishing to use a different route to get there. At night, with low visibility, I was glad I had the TT with me. Not that I followed its recommended routing but it always recalculated correctly with the detours I chose to make. Arriving from a different direction, it told me exactly where her house was. At night, you can barely see her house from the road.

I think I'll be using mine a lot too. I really didn't expect to find it all that useful, until I actually got one. I wish I'd had it when I was travelling on business all the time...

Mark

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan1812

Latest Threads

Back