Xl-s

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL-S
From reviews I am about to purchase the TT XL-S. From what I have read it is more reliable than the newer XL330 and I don't like the newer window mount.

I am concerned about reports that the screen is not bright enough in sunlight and that under direct sunlight cannot be easily seen.

Any opinions about this - anything about this model would be appreciated:confused: .

While I love Tomtom GPS unit, I have to admit their screen is suck.
And I don't think the XL-S has any better or worse than other units.

Better or worse than other TomToms - or any other GPS unit? A screen that is hard to see in the sun is a deal breaker for me and I would start looking at Garmins or Magellans.

Better or worse than other TomToms - or any other GPS unit? A screen that is hard to see in the sun is a deal breaker for me and I would start looking at Garmins or Magellans.
Yes, Tomtom only.
If you want a better screen type, you might be off with other mfg.

So generally, everyone is happy with the screen on their TomTom? I have not been able to see an xl-s demoed in a store but I have seen other models demoed and they have been next to other mfgs. and I have not really seen any difference.

You should also try to use one for the local area where you live and try places you normally frequent. Navteq and TeleAtlas differ in some areas. IOW, one may be much better in some places and worse in others. Usually BestBuy has demo models in their stores that you could examine with different routes. It may take you some time to do so but you should be able to buy with better confidence on the map quality.

As for sun glare, I've chosen to put my XL-S under the dash, over the instrument cluster (where speed, rpm etc are shown) and found it best for my car physical layout. This way, I don't have the windshield tell tale that I have the gps and it is not too far from the road line of sight without it being affected by sun glare.

Last edited:
So generally, everyone is happy with the screen on their TomTom? I have not been able to see an xl-s demoed in a store but I have seen other models demoed and they have been next to other mfgs. and I have not really seen any difference.

There is nothig perfect so when we choose Tomtom, we know the issue, we agree with the trade off.
We gain something and we lose something.
In your case, you want to gain what? and you want to lose what? It's your choice.
Again, nothing is perfect.

I have tried each of the "big" 3 at Best Buy - a different model of the TomTom as they did not have the xl-s - and only the TomTom routed to my house by the streets that I normally use. The other two went the more direct but longer way. This impressed me with the TomTom. The other feature of the TomTom that I like is the ability to insert vias or waypoints into a route to "force" the route to go the way that I want it to go avoiding roads that I know are a problem. The Garmin can also do this but costs much more and the Magellan does not have this feature at all other than an avoid feature that did not work all that well on the demo. But the most important feature is that I be able to see the screen when it is operating. I am pretty much set on the xl-s if I can get it at the "right" price at a place that I can return it if there is a problem. I don't expect perfect, but I do expect something for this much money to do what it is supposed to do and be able to see it doing it.

You can call me "brother" now, 1776 :) 'cuz your case now is pretty much the same as mine a year back. As people know, I went through with all big3 mfg you mentioned above and yes, I finally got the XL-S :) (you can search my post to see why I jump to the GO920 :)) but anyway, I was with XL-S and couldn't be happier and the reason I got it was the same as yours, only Tomtom unit gave me the correct, daily-drive route from home, even back then, IQ Route has not been released yet.

About your second concern, (the Magellan 4250 I got was so dissapointed) I believe Garmin does have option routing through multiple waypoints (if you know how to set iternary)

In term of basic navigation (if don't ask too many of fancy stuffs), XL-S is hard to beat.

I don't know if you will be able to get the XL-S at your ?right price?? If you can't, you could also consider a refurbished GO720 at Rdio Shack and have a faster cpu, more features, more detailed maps, twice the internal memory and the latest map waranty and, with the free NavCore update, the equivalent to a 730. It may prove to be your best product for the money...

Walmart has the XL-S (new, not refurb) in the store for $229 and on line for $218. If the store and the website price were the same the XL-S would be in my car right now.

I have to find out when the 15 day return policy begins on GPS if ordered on line and sent to the store.

I am pretty much set on the XL-S at this point.
(Then again, I thought two weeks ago that I was set on the Magellan 1412). :)

Walmart has the XL-S (new, not refurb) in the store for $229 and on line for $218. If the store and the website price were the same the XL-S would be in my car right now.

I have to find out when the 15 day return policy begins on GPS if ordered on line and sent to the store.

I am pretty much set on the XL-S at this point.
(Then again, I thought two weeks ago that I was set on the Magellan 1412). :)

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3809100&CatId=2372

Refurbished TomTom GO 720 with 1 year warranty for $169.99 and you have an option to purchase an additional warranty of 2 or 3 years. You can't beat this.

i just bought a refurbished XL-S for $125 with a 1year warranty if you're interested in where. You can get a refurbed XL from radioshack for $98 after MIR

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan1812

Latest Threads

Back