Xl 340*s

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340*S
I received a new 340*S for Christmas and it has worked great so far. I decided after reading through the forums to finally do updates for it if need be. I experienced the normal little glitches but nothing serious.

I updated the Home software and then the unit. As it stands now these are the versions I have.

TT Home: 2.7.3.1894

GPS
Version: 9.025
Maps: 835.2419

I attempted to update using the 'Latest Map Guarantee' feature (LMG), but that has still not happend. It shows that I am eligible to update to the latest version of Maps v.840... but it is taking like hours and hours to do this.

Is this normal?

After about 6 hours it still has not finished. It keeps losing connection with the TT server like every 40 mins. or so. It does kind of pick up where it left off when you look at the progess bar it displays. I'm just wondering if everything will eventually download and install w/o any issues.

Anyone experience this also.

Thanks,

DK

I hope you read the announcement at the top of the forum about tips for new users....especially the one about making an Explorer backup BEFORE doing anything else........

Anyway, the 340 only is usb 1.1 compliant, not 2.0. That's why it's taking hours and hours....

Sorry, I keep missing something......

With your updated application, the install process should only take about 1 hour, it used to take many hours. It should NOT be taking so long for the download. Are you on a wireless connection? If so, that may explain it as packets are dropped and the download stalls.

You may wish to cancel the download, use a directly connected computer and try again.

Last edited:
DHN,

Thnks for the reply. And yes, I did indeed do an Explorere b/u first. I'm a big believer on reading up on forums before using and even purchasing a product in most cases.

I'm not on a wireless connection. I'm hardwired on a pretty fast desktop. I'm still on XP sp3.

I tried to finish the update this morning before work, but had to hit the abort button when it showed about 4 mins left to finish the download.

In total though...it has spent about 5 1/2 hours. I'm hoping this evening will be able to finish it up.

Any pointers? And is it worth the update right now. Should I wait on finishing the update until a little later?

DK

Don't try to rush things.......

Wait till you have the time for the update to complete and the install process to commence.

Hopefully, you won't have issues but, to be honest, many upgrading their maps the last couple of days have had problems.

If the install does go to completion, make ABSOLUTELY SURE you disconnect the unit properly from the computer using Home's Device Disconnect icon. And then make another Explorer backup to a different folder on the computer.

Gotcha,

I have made sure to use the disconnect feature in Home to terminate connection to the unit. Then I actually log-off and exit Home.

If this goes well. I will indeed make a new b/u folder with the current updates and versions. That way I'll have two b/u's to turn to if things go haywire.

A 'Just in Case' question. If this download eventually finishes and and something goes wrong where I have to restore to my original b/u -- Will I not be able to update my unit to the LMG (v.840) since tecnically my account will have already downloaded it once?

DK

All the updates are done for my XL 340*S. Everything went smooth & the GPS unit seems to boot up good. I'll have to try it out tomorrow.

It took close to 8 hours with the download and install. But everything is now current.

Thanks for the help!

DK

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abowen

Latest Threads

Back