WinRAR vs WinZIP?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL-335TM; Map 935.5811
I see all of the Mods recommend using "WinRAR" to unzip files and install on their device. As I've not found a site that offers free download for WinRAR ? shareware only ? won't WinZIP work?

Thanks.

WinRar works better for Navcore installations as you can preserve the file/ folder information without any messing about, its a single one shot install and the WinRar app ensures that files that need to go in to specific folders and sub folders are correctly located.

Win Zip on the otherhand isn't something I trust for doing this as I have had issues in the past with all the files being dumped in to the root of the device resulting in a few hours of messing around to resolve what its done - Mike

Thanks Mike,

I appreciate the heads-up on using WinRAR rather than WinZip. I figured there must be a reason so why I asked the question.

I have been using 7-Zip pretty much exclusively for most of my archiving needs for a long while. I remember trying WinRAR a long time ago, and I remember I had a reason for switching away at the time.

The tomtom installation files are in .cab format (Microsoft proprietary compression format). If I remember properly, Winzip can't read .cab files, and WinRar can.

Both the 3rd party WinZip and the Windows native version manage *.cab files fine.

All of these programs require paying attention to whether the path is set correctly to the target and whether the folder structure should be retained.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gardening_diva

Latest Threads

Back