Which one?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 700
I see at the right hand side of this forum display is a Halfords ad suggesting the Tomtom XL2 IQ AND the Garmin Nuvi 1410 with 5" screen. It may be sacrilege to ask on this forum, gut has anyone an opinion of the GArmin versus the Tomtom??!!:mad:

I see at the right hand side of this forum display is a Halfords ad suggesting the Tomtom XL2 IQ AND the Garmin Nuvi 1410 with 5" screen. It may be sacrilege to ask on this forum, gut has anyone an opinion of the GArmin versus the Tomtom??!!:mad:
That's an apples and oranges comparison to begin with. The features and screen size put them in somewhat different classes. As for the TomTom, and if you have ANY preconceptions about what kind of features a GPS should have, I have the following advice (note that not all of these models are available in the UK - but note the inclusion of the IQRoutes2 in this list!):

One nice feature of the TomTom is itinerary planning (although beware ? this feature is NOT available on many of the dumbed-down EasyMenu TomTom models, all of which I?d avoid for their lack of front-panel functionality. Models employing this less desirable interface at the time of writing include all of the following: Ease (Start2 in Europe), XL335SE, XL335LE, XL335LM, XL350, XL350T, XL350M, XL350TM, (XL IQRoutes2 in Europe), XXL550, XXL550T, XXL550M and XXL550TM. In addition, I would note that the models specified above will NOT allow you to directly enter coordinate data for navigation purposes

Thanks Canderson. I see the XL2 (Europe) mentioned so can I take it that you feel the UK and Rep of Ireland only version is OK. What would you go for in the UK for infrequent usage? merv

Thanks Canderson. I see the XL2 (Europe) mentioned so can I take it that you feel the UK and Rep of Ireland only version is OK. What would you go for in the UK for infrequent usage? merv
No, NOT OK. Aren't you guys still part of Europe - well, the EU in any case? :p

I was only distinguishing between the name of the seven U.S. models (specific 335 versions and all of the 350s) and the name used for the same basic rig in all of Europe (the XL IQRoutes 2). ALL of these have the same "EasyMenu" user interface that removes functions that a typical user might well expect to find. There are some workarounds to get some of those functions back, but not all of them. It's easier just to avoid that range of models to begin with.

Thanks Canderson -we are part of Europe - at least in body but certainly not in spirit. They need their heads examined.
Anyway, bought the XL 2 and find it great. Only thing I havent figured out yet is why the street names are not spoken as they're meant to be. Cheers:eek:

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gardening_diva

Latest Threads

Back