TT ONE XL earpiece?

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
I would really like to install a miniature earphone jack on my TT ONE XL for listening to voice instructions via earpiece while on my motorcycle. Has anyone had the back off of the TT ONE XL to see if there is enough room internally for such a modification?:confused: (Yes, I?ve already tried the Bluetooth route, but my TT refuses to pair with anything other than a select group of cell phones, and no other devices ((like my JABRA 135 ear piece)).:mad:
Has anyone been down this road before me, because it is not listed on my version of the North America/Canada maps? (yes, the map share pun was intended!):D

I can't really answer your question regarding the internal functions of the TT, but I also use my TTOXL on a motorcycle and usually just keep an eye on the screen and normally have the voice off (I get tired of hearing you missed the turn and can turn around), I will route via the GPS but sometimes I deviate the route and am on concerned with the address as I get close, this works just fine for me, I also ride a Honda with OEM pipes so I'm fairly quiet but can here the voice if I turn the volume up, most of the time I have my Sirius plugged into my ear buds so may not here her yelling at me anyhow...lol

I can't really answer your question regarding the internal functions of the TT, but I also use my TTOXL on a motorcycle and usually just keep an eye on the screen and normally have the voice off (I get tired of hearing you missed the turn and can turn around), I will route via the GPS but sometimes I deviate the route and am on concerned with the address as I get close, this works just fine for me, I also ride a Honda with OEM pipes so I'm fairly quiet but can here the voice if I turn the volume up, most of the time I have my Sirius plugged into my ear buds so may not here her yelling at me anyhow...lol

I don't need to hear the TT instructions most of the time, but, some of the time it would be nice. I ride a dual sport and wear a motocross style helmet. Neither of which lends it's self to hearing Tomtom voices with the engine running or moving forward at any speed! On the road I?m usually more focused on the soccer moms in SUV?s talking on cell phones, or old people who can no longer see over the steering wheel to care much about what is around them:mad: . It would be nice in that hostile environment to hear a calm female voice saying ?turn right ? mile ahead?:eek: . However, the primary reason for this request is the off road riding I do from time to time. In those cases I will put the TT in a well protected place in my Camel Back backpack to protect it from the extreme vibration and shock (rather than mounted to the handlebar). I carry it as safety gear that will allow me to determine my LON/LAT, and if my cell phone has reception, I can call that in for rescue (Not just for my own well being, but also that of others):eek: . I have also loaded in most of the U.S.F.S. maps (for my riding areas) as overlays, so if I get lost the TT can tell me where I am relative to somewhere I know I need to be;) . Up to this point while off road the TT is not powered up (why bother if it is stashed away in a backpack?). What I am trying to add by this earpiece modification is the ability to leave the TT in my back pack while off road (powered up, but safe and secure), but still be able to get audible warnings regarding pre-programmed events (mile markers, trail heads, and potential hazardous areas like creak crossings and switch backs). These could be programmed in as custom POI?s (like ?Mile? and ?Hazard?, or ?Trail Head?) and should work as long as I have a destination programmed in (which could also be a POI called ?destination?):confused: . I know, this is not what the folks at Tomtom had in mind when they put together the ONE XL, but if the possibility is out there, why not?:D

Ask a Question