TT One V3 vs V4

Greetings!

I just bought a TT One from bestbuy - it's the v3 version (with SD card and SiRFIII chipset).

Is it worthwhile to exchange it for the v4 version? One possible reason I can think of is to keep one version of maps on the internal memory, and a different set on an external 2GB SD card....but I can do the same just by swapping SD cards.

I heard somewhere that the performance of the GPS chipsets is equivalent - but that the new Hammerhead chipset depends on the Tomtom CPU, rather than the SiRFIII chipset, which has it's own CPU. Supposedly, this does not materially affect the speed of the user interface...

I'm curious if anyone else has any suggestions - am I missing any other differences or things to consider?

Thanks - Joe

From what I understand, if you put an SD card into a V4 unit, then it reads ONLY from the card, ignoring the internal memory. So it's an either/or situation.

I think that v3 offers more flexibility. And besides, if your SD card gets corrupted, you can replace it. But if the internal memory of the v4 goes kaput, then it's really and truly dead.

(Hmmm. This brings up an interesting point. If the internal memory dies, can you still operate the unit from an SD card?)

Wait, am I missing something here???
The v2 is the version with the SD card and Sirf III chip.
The v3 is the version without the SD card and internal memory.

From what I read in the past, the ONEXL is suppose to be the v4.

for the record, the v1 is the original ONE made in Europe.

I've seen Tomtom ONE referred to by versions 1, 2, 3, and 4. I'm not sure of the correct nomenclature to refer to the one I have by, but I've seen units that match th hardware I have referred to as V2 and V3.

I've assumed that the v3 is the ONE with the SD card and the SiRFIII chipset, the V4 is the ONE with the internal memory and the hammerhead chipset, and the XL is the 4" screen one.

However, I'll go by what pedro recommends!

Thanks - Joe

I'll admit that I'm confused about all the versions.

For the record, I'm using a v1 that I bought in France last summer. V1 was never sold over here. It was shortly after my return that the v2 was launched in North America.

So do we agree that v4 is the new wide-screen one?

Looks like we'll have to wait and see.
I'm confused myself :)
I have a v2 ONE. I know I've seen my computer say v3 and virtual tomtom say v4. However, I know it's a v2 :)

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flowerlady

Latest Threads

Back