Temporary replacement of map.

TomTom Model(s)
One V4, Go Live 825 Europe
Hi.
Brand new to this forum, so please be gentle with me!
I live in the UK and have a TT one V4 with Western Europe map installed, with which I am more than happy. However, in summer 2010 I am off to Florida for a holiday and the cost of adding a sat nav to the hire car for the period works out at over ?100, which seems ridiculously expensive to me!
Unfortunately I don't have room on my unit to add a USA map, which I could purchase for about half that price, and it won't take an extra memory card as far as I know, so, my question is this; could I temporarily remove my Western Europe map (obviously having backed up to the PC first) download the USA map, install it, use it on holiday, and then on my return re-install my original Western Europe map back onto the TT?
Any observations gratefully received.

Yes, that method works for those who don't have an expansion slot for their unit.

As [2]dhn[2] said, that works well.
As it won't be 'til the summer, wait for newer maps.

You may also consider checking a Best Buys store in the city where you will land.
It just may be cheaper to get a unit on sale for less than what you would have to pay for a map in the UK.

Use Windows Explorer to copy the map to/ from the device although you will have to use TomTom Home to purchase and install the USA map the first time, after that simply use Windows Explorer and depending upon the exact device you are using it could take around one hour to copy either map back to the device - Mike

Swapping maps in Tomtom XL

Hi Orpington

I found this thread very useful as I am in the same situation. Have XL IQ Europe, live in the UK and visiting US for two weeks. Not enough memory to load the US map.

Did you actually buy the US map and did you swap it for the Europe map for your trip to the US? Again after return to the UK were you able to swap the US map for Europe one.

How exactly did you do this?
I do not wish my Europe map to get lost if I try this.

Would appreciate your response.

Thanks

Girish
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Both Topgun and supermod mikealder gave explanations in their posts on how to do it. :)

Ask a Question