Preparing for the worst

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
I'm just curious but lets say your beloved TomTom device was stolen (*knock on wood that it never happens*) from your car or where ever you left it. Are there any steps you can do to prepare for such an event?

For example: My walet has many important cards in it so what I do is I scan every single card (back and front) and save it in a document. Accompanied with each scanned image is the contact information i.e. customer service number, web address etc.

This document is very handy as I know what cards I have in my walet, so if my walet were stolen (or lost), I can just go down the list calling all the appropriate numbers to cancel each and every card. I won't have the added stress of trying to remember what cards I had with me.

I already recorded the serial number and customer support line. I also added the set owner option where I have to enter a password when turning on my TT1.

Is there anything else I could do? Can customer service tell me where my unit is if the crooks turned it on? Any other tips?

Last edited:
Just as a side note, that document I have with all my card information is heavily encrypted with a 64 assci character password that also requires a certain file in combination to open it.

I have to thank trucrypt for that.

Is there anything else I could do?
Yes, make a note of your device ID. That could at least be used to determine if a TT recovered by police (or offered on ebay) was yours or not.

Can customer service tell me where my unit is if the crooks turned it on?
No, because it is a receiver, not a transceiver. It doesn't transmit anything. Though, if a thief was stupid enough to update his 'buddy' position using your account, I suppose it might be possible (If TT keeps logs of those positions). That's 2 big 'ifs' though, so I wouldn't bet on it.

For example: My walet has many important cards in it so what I do is I scan every single card (back and front) and save it in a document. Accompanied with each scanned image is the contact information i.e. customer service number, web address etc.

This document is very handy as I know what cards I have in my walet, so if my walet were stolen (or lost), I can just go down the list calling all the appropriate numbers to cancel each and every card. I won't have the added stress of trying to remember what cards I had with me.

This is an awesome idea, I will have to implement.

Yes, make a note of your device ID. That could at least be used to determine if a TT recovered by police (or offered on ebay) was yours or not.

No, because it is a receiver, not a transceiver. It doesn't transmit anything. Though, if a thief was stupid enough to update his 'buddy' position using your account, I suppose it might be possible (If TT keeps logs of those positions). That's 2 big 'ifs' though, so I wouldn't bet on it.

Ah shucks, I really was hoping that it would be possible to track them to give me a little bit of peace of mind know I can at least find the device.

I will also take note of my advice ID. Thanks Spook.

This is an awesome idea, I will have to implement.

digital,
you are so right about scanning the credit cards...
in fact, I think I am going to do that now...

Yeah, I think its a very good precaution just so the crooks have no chance stealing any more from you.

And make sure your insurance covers things stolen out of your car!

Yes, good point. I should call my insurance company to find out.

Last time when I rented a car I used my credit card insurance (I waived the rental agency one...which I regret now) and my card was broken into. My laptop was in the car and that was stolen. I called the credit card company to file a claim and they told me that they DO NOT cover laptops. Its in the fine print.

>> I also added the set owner option where I have to enter a password when turning on my TT1.

This can be cracked by installing an old version of the software (5.42 ?) then re-install the current one.

>> I also added the set owner option where I have to enter a password when turning on my TT1.

This can be cracked by installing an old version of the software (5.42 ?) then re-install the current one.

Interesting. Well, I don't want to make it easy for the person who steals so adding that password is just another layer to go through albeit not very secure.

Ask a Question