Photo Gallery not showing photos

TomTom Model(s)
I have a 2GB SD card with 230MB of photos in my TT720. When I select Photo Gallery nothing happens, no thumbnails are displayed and after about 30 seconds the 720 restarts. Does anyone know what might be causing this and what can be done to make the photos viewable? Photos are in photos folder on the SD card and are all jpeg files. I normally leave the SD card in the 720 and install the photos via windows explorer. Should I be putting the photos on via TTHome or does it matter? Is there a size limit on the number of photos that can be displayed and is there a setting that gives the device longer time to display the thumbnails?

Thanks!

I have a 2GB SD card with 230MB of photos in my TT720. When I select Photo Gallery nothing happens, no thumbnails are displayed and after about 30 seconds the 720 restarts. Does anyone know what might be causing this and what can be done to make the photos viewable? Photos are in photos folder on the SD card and are all jpeg files. I normally leave the SD card in the 720 and install the photos via windows explorer. Should I be putting the photos on via TTHome or does it matter? Is there a size limit on the number of photos that can be displayed and is there a setting that gives the device longer time to display the thumbnails?

Thanks!

How big are the images? I have gotten the spontaneous reboot with my 920 but generally it has had to do with trying to use my 8gig card. The device writes a thumbnail.dat file, I presume, as it reads the photos and indexes or builds the thumbnail view. If for some reason it runs into problems writing that file, it may reboot.

When using HOME, all it appears to do is open an Explorer Window anyway and you drag/drop but maybe it sets up the directory/folder in some fashion but I do not think so.

Is the card new? Is it formatted Fat32?

You could try placing some mp3's on the card in an mp3 folder and see if those show up.

Thanks!

And the folder is names 'photos' (no quotes) and all lower case?

If yes, try a soft reset (paperclip)......

I know this is an old thread - but I'm seeing the same issue with my 720. I loaded up 8mb of JPG files (a few hundred) that are resized to 480x272. Choosing Photo Gallery causes it to hang and then after short while it will reset. Also if I tell the MP3 player to do a slideshow - same thing.

Although, once time (and only once) the GPS came back on in slideshow mode and I got to see my photos. So I know it can see them and display them - but for some reason it just wants to reset...

Anyone ever figure this out?

I know this is an old thread - but I'm seeing the same issue with my 720. I loaded up 8mb of JPG files (a few hundred) that are resized to 480x272. Choosing Photo Gallery causes it to hang and then after short while it will reset. Also if I tell the MP3 player to do a slideshow - same thing.

Although, once time (and only once) the GPS came back on in slideshow mode and I got to see my photos. So I know it can see them and display them - but for some reason it just wants to reset...

Anyone ever figure this out?
As was noted earlier in the thread, there's the issue of thumbnails that would be written to your SD card. While the TT720 is fine reading from an 8GB SD card, unless you've recently "upgraded" to firmware version 8.3 which can do so, your TT720 will NOT be happy trying to write to that card. If you have a 4GB card handy, give that a go. The TT720 seems to have no problem with those at all. If that solves your problem (and I suspect it will), either bite the bullet and install version 8.3 firmware (watch out - it's got some other bugs at present, and will kill off your FM radio reception of directional info) or stick with your 4GB card until TT gets their crap together on a new firmware release that solves the 8.3 problems.

As was noted earlier in the thread, there's the issue of thumbnails that would be written to your SD card. While the TT720 is fine reading from an 8GB SD card, unless you've recently "upgraded" to firmware version 8.3 which can do so, your TT720 will NOT be happy trying to write to that card. If you have a 4GB card handy, give that a go. The TT720 seems to have no problem with those at all. If that solves your problem (and I suspect it will), either bite the bullet and install version 8.3 firmware (watch out - it's got some other bugs at present, and will kill off your FM radio reception of directional info) or stick with your 4GB card until TT gets their crap together on a new firmware release that solves the 8.3 problems.

I'll give it a shot with my 2GB SD Card.

The card currently in the unit is an 8GB card that is formatted to 4GB. TT720 only wanted to see the first 4GB for some reason.

BTW - I am already running v8.30 FW.

I'll give it a shot with my 2GB SD Card.

The card currently in the unit is an 8GB card that is formatted to 4GB. TT720 only wanted to see the first 4GB for some reason.

BTW - I am already running v8.30 FW.
Hmm... that's goofy. With 8.3, it should have been happy to deal with the full 8GB for both reads and writes, assuming that you're not seeing yet another 8.3 bug of some sort. Full functionality at over 4GB was one of the few "plus side" reasons to switch to that firmware in the first place. If the TT will only recognize and deal with 4GB, though, there's likely a clue in that, and resolving it may well get your 8GB non-crashing functionality working.

Are you sure that it was the TT itself that balked a more than 4GB, and not the PC side?

So I sat down today and tried a few more things (GPS has fw 8.3).

1) I reformatted my 8GB card back to a full 8GB and copied the files back over. The TomTom Gallery feature is now working. But... when I tell the TomTom jukebox to do slideshow - the unit hangs and then resets (just like before).

2) I tried the same thing on a 512MB card and had the same results.

3) I reduced the number of files to a few dozen and TomTom jukebox slideshow feature would work.

So.... it appears the TomTom jukebox slideshow feature cannot handle 800 hundred photos. Gallery is fine with it.

Anybody know the limit for how many pictures it can handle before it croaks?

So I sat down today and tried a few more things (GPS has fw 8.3).

1) I reformatted my 8GB card back to a full 8GB and copied the files back over. The TomTom Gallery feature is now working. But... when I tell the TomTom jukebox to do slideshow - the unit hangs and then resets (just like before).

2) I tried the same thing on a 512MB card and had the same results.

3) I reduced the number of files to a few dozen and TomTom jukebox slideshow feature would work.

So.... it appears the TomTom jukebox slideshow feature cannot handle 800 hundred photos. Gallery is fine with it.

Anybody know the limit for how many pictures it can handle before it croaks?

The gallery seems to be working for me. In fact, I just tried something I have never tried before (never knew it was an option.) I was browsing around my preferences and saw that there was an option that says "send/receive file" via bluetooth. I set it to "recieve file" and the TomTom just sat there waiting for any bluetooth device to send it some files. My Sidekick 2008 cell phone found the TomTom and quickly connected to it to send a bunch of pictures I was testing out. The Phone sent the pics straight to the TomTom just fine via bluetooth. This was also the first time I EVER used my gallery/photo viewer on the TomTom.

Yup. My gallery works, too.

It is the 'Slideshow' option in the TomTom player that seems to freeze when I have 800 images. Seems to be some kind of limitation with the player.

Ask a Question