Overspeed tolerance reduction

Good Afternoon,
The current tolerance on the "Warn when driving faster than allowed" Safety Preference seems to be internally set to only warning the driver when the car exceeds the posted speed limit by more than 5km/h for a minimum of 250 metres. This is level of excess speed is too great for too far to prevent being detected by mobile speed radar for accidentally tavelling over the limit. Could someone please tell me how to (or who can in Australia) alter a current model One/XL to have an overspeed warning of only 2km/h over the allowed and posted limit for the area in which the vehicle is travelling. Many thanks for reading this post.

The threshold for the overspeed warning isn't adjustable as this setting is hard coded within the application, I guess TomTom could alter the value at some future point if enough people complain about it (I doubt this will get changed though to be honest) - Mike

Thank you

Hi Mike,
Many thanks for your post. Hopefully enough people will appreciate this feature to cause TomTom allow new models to be adjustable.
Kindest regards

Having a similar issue...

I am kind of curious how this feature is supposed to work in the first place. I've tried to have it announce that I was speeding (on some country back roads) and my 130 has NEVER announced I was going faster than the limit. Not once.

I have no idea how to even make it do it.

Any suggestions?

If the safety preference is set for Warn when going faster than limit, you should see the speed you are going flashing red on the screen.

However, not all roads mapped have a default speed imbedded. You are likely to see such visual warnings when on highways or major roads.

Set speed

Since I know that the setting driving faster then allowed really doesnt work well. On long Island NY most highways have a 55 mph limit. I use the warning driving faster than a set speed of 65mph. Then I download something that says slow down which is loud and works for me

Last edited:
Overspeed Alarm

Dear Lancer525,
Please accept my sympathies for the frustration you must be experiencing. Just a couple suggestions that others may have already covered.
1. Select "Safety Preferences" and then find "Warn when travelling faster than allowed". Select this feature.
2. The feature only seems to work for me when I travel at 5 speed units (km/h or mph) over the limit for at least 250metres. The number of satelites that are feeding information to your 130 may affect how fast the 130 is able to calculate that you are over the speed limit. There may also be a time setting within the 130 that cannot be changed that prevents it from warning you until you have been over the limit for a specified amount of time. What ever this setting is, I found it too long.
3. The road you are on may not have speed limit data or may have inaccurate speed limit data, so your 130 does not "know" when to warn you.
4. Your car speedometer may be inaccurate and you are travelling with in the speed limit. This is unlikely, because as cars age their speedometers tend to display a speed that is much less than the actual speed of the car.
5. Your car speedometer may be showing the incorrect speed because tyres or wheels that were not the same diameter as the original are currently installed.
Hoping this can shed some light on your current concerns,

warning over speed limit

On my 920 it seems that their is a warning when going 4-5 mph over some speed limit which I do no like. I would like to set a warning at 10mph over speed limit. Hope future versions will allow this.

Variable over speed alarm needed

Hi doctormstein1,
I think your point is a valid one. TomTom needs to accomodate the needs and desires of customers who will all want a range of differing warning thresholds. The customers' reasons for wanting the different thresholds will vary. For example, up until this week, a driver in NSW Australia only had to exceed the speed limit by the smallest amount on four ocassions to have his/her driving license suspended for three months. Drivers with three infringements would probably have been so nervous that they would have liked to be warned when they are 2km/h below the limit, let alone being warned when they were over the limit. At the same time, I know other drivers who are traversing long stretches of uninhabited highways with no other road users about, who travel contentedly well over the speed limit and have done so safely for years without mishap, who would be driven mad by a warning of only 5km/h over the limit. By making the warning threshold variable and distinctly visual and audible, TomTom will be able to make a great product perfect.
Kindest regards,

Dear Lancer525,
Please accept my sympathies for the frustration you must be experiencing. Just a couple suggestions that others may have already covered.
1. Select "Safety Preferences" and then find "Warn when travelling faster than allowed". Select this feature.

Thanks. It isn't like I haven't already done this, but it's nice to know that everyone here wants everyone else to try everything.

My inquiry was really aimed at understanding how the TomTom is set up to do this, since I've never had it tell me I was so much as one MPH over the speed limit. So knowing that it only announces on roads that have that information imbedded already is really the answer. 99% of my driving is on secondary highways and "tertiary" county roads, so never being on an interstate would explain why I'm not getting any speed warnings.

Also, one thing I found rather unnecessary, if you'll forgive me for saying so, is the explanation about how my car's speedometer or age or anything else might have something to do with it. That's just irrelevant in my humble opinion. Police radar doesn't care what my speedometer is saying, with a car less than 4 years old, with tires less than a year old, and the fact that it is the satellites' signal and the computer calculations that are actually determining my speed as shown on the TomTom, well, saying that my car is doing something different has nothing to do with why the unit isn't functioning as advertised. No matter, you were offering your opinions in good faith, and I greatly appreciate that.

Thanks for the input.

Ask a Question