NOT Impressed!!

If your 'cursor' is off on the map, you need to download the latest QuickFix update. There have been bad one's in the past where everyone has experience the parallel to the street symptom.

If your 'cursor' is off on the map, you need to download the latest QuickFix update. There have been bad one's in the past where everyone has experience the parallel to the street symptom.

The problem with the Alaska/Yukon/BC issue is not so much a simple offset of position, as it is the actual map is wrong - it has very different bends and angles of the road, and as mentioned above, you might appear to be 200-500 yards off to the left, then come back on course then off to the right when the map road does not follow the actual road's route through the hills, etc.

It almost appears as if though someone was tracing the road from too high an elevation, and did an "approximate" job of following the real road.

This is on the latest V7.20 Alaska-Canada map for the 920/720/Rider.

The problem with the Alaska/Yukon/BC issue is not so much a simple offset of position, as it is the actual map is wrong - it has very different bends and angles of the road, and as mentioned above, you might appear to be 200-500 yards off to the left, then come back on course then off to the right when the map road does not follow the actual road's route through the hills, etc.

It almost appears as if though someone was tracing the road from too high an elevation, and did an "approximate" job of following the real road.

This is on the latest V7.20 Alaska-Canada map for the 920/720/Rider.

+1.

As I posted earlier, my experience has been that parts of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Northern Ontario are a few metres to a few hundred metres off. And that's on the Trans-Canada Highway, our national road, not some dusty ole trail.

Also the rendering of the road (series of straight lines) in many places does not trace the actual bends in the roads, and is way off. This suggests some very lazy mapping.

My understanding is that TT has stripped out segment points on the 720 maps in order to make the map still fit in the 2 gig internal memory of a 720 or 730 unit. Saves spaces but produces the 'jaggy' roads you've observed.

Ok i understand. The post made by gerryc gave me the impression about GPS fix.
Sounds like to me it is an inaccurate map.
Do you have the GPS coordinates? I can check on my co-worker's 930 to see if the map is updated with his latest map.
You can also check TeleAtlas' website and make corrections there
http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php

Sounds like to me it is an inaccurate map.
Do you have the GPS coordinates? I can check on my co-worker's 930 to see if the map is updated with his latest map.
You can also check TeleAtlas' website and make corrections there
http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php

I pressed "Map correction" on about 5 of the occasions when it was really bad, to log the locations, but seem to have lost them after the TT went nuts due to waterlogging. I ended up having to format the card and reload the whole system again, so unfortunately have lost the locations on our Arctic trip where this was most prevalent. I do recall that the Alaska Highway from Tok to Whitehorse or even further south, was particularly bad, and also Highway 93 along the Canadian Rockies on our way to Jasper.

It has been interesting, but I give up on TomTom, I am going back to a Garmin.

FYI: I purchased two TomTom 930T devices last weekend and will be returning them tomorrow. :mad:

I would like to thank the many in this forum who have posted priceless information without which I could not have made the TomTom work remotely like it should. :)

Still, the problems greatly outweigh the benefits. So thanks for the help, but I give up. :confused: I am posting this so that others know what they may be up against. I suspect that the support in other places is better than it is here in Canada, but even around Toronto, I find the TomTom to be a poor cousin to the Garmin.

Our problems have included (in chronological order):

0) Unavailable voices: In spite of having installed them, most voices appeared ?greyed out? and unavailable. On advice from the forum, I deleted everything from the TomTom and re-updated from TomTom Home. After re-installing the voices, they finally work. :)

1) Unavailable voice response: Unfortunately, having removed and reinstalled, the voice response was no longer working. This was one of the three reasons for purchasing this unit. I liked the idea of not having to reach over and type in an address. I wish the VR system worked for more than just the address, but at least that was a nice feature. With help from this forum, I was able to create the file to re-enable the voice response and it works well. :)

2) One TomTom 930T does not know where it is. Neither knows where I live. The two units, in spite of both having the same quick fix updates, disagree on their location by 100m (300 feet?). They both think I live 150m South and around the corner from my house. It used to bother me when my Garmin missed my driveway by 5m, at least it was on the right side of the block. :mad:

3) I really like the POI display on the map. It would be nice if they were selectable. I don?t think the Garmin has this feature at all and I will miss it when I switch back, but so far I have found a number of these POI entries to be wrong. As an example, there is one marker for a restaurant near me and it did not matter if you drove south or north, you passed the restaurant before the icon on the screen went by. When travelling south, the TomTom showed the restaurant as south of the intersection. When travelling north, it was north of the intersection. Is it better to have a feature that misleads, or to not have the feature? :mad:

3) The FM broadcast sound quality is pathetic. I have tried a number of frequencies but they all carry a hiss that I find annoying. Other than that, I love the fact that it can play music and mute it when giving directions or answering the phone. (As a side note, the TomTom Jukebox is a joke. Where is the Play button? It looks like I have to pick a song and then it ignores the ?shuffle? option that I selected and plays things sequentially.) No matter, the hiss from the radio is unbearable. Although this was one of the three reasons for purchasing this unit, it is not a feature I can put up with. :mad:

4) No traffic signal. I drove across Toronto today at 10:00 and 18:30. Not once did I pick up a traffic signal. Even when doing 60 in a 100 zone. This was the third main reason for purchasing this unit. Without this, and without good sound through the FM, the only reason to spend all this money was the voice response system. :mad: :mad: :mad:

5) The final straw. On my Garmin, if I type in ?Home Depot?, it finds five within 30km of me. The TomTom, none, zip, zero. The TomTom lists four Loblaws (grocers) within 21km of me. The Garmin lists five. The closest one is missed by the TomTom, and no, it is not a new store. :mad: :mad: :mad:

In other words, I find the TomTom much more flexible, but not nearly as reliable, informative, or intuitive as the Garmin. Thanks again for all your help.

I wrote a long message but deleted afterward.
Anyway, walking away from the headache is a good choice, you have made a smart move.

Well despite the iffy accuracy of the map outside of big cities I am not prepared to give up on my 730 just yet. There's quite a few things I like about it versus the Nuvi 760, which I had for a few weeks before the 730. It's much more customizable for one thing, and the next turn arrow is very handy.

Having said that I am really hoping Tomtom and Tele Atlas get their act together soon in Canada, the accuracy issues are pretty annoying. How much hassle is it to drive a mapping truck on the TransCanada Highway? Come on.

Oh and agree with creacom, the POIs are crap compared with Garmin. I don't even bother using them unless it's ones I know it's ones I've downloaded (e.g. Canadian Tire, Petro Canada) from TT HOME.

Use MapShare to correct missing POIs so everyone can benefit.
Lets use the tools they provide us.
I've corrected many POIs and as time goes by, I do less because I notice the updates are helping.

The tomtom interface is what separates it from the rest. I can change route easily while driving. touch the screen, touch the 'navigate to' and then touch the icon of the recent POI. I have not tried the garmin. But I think there is a 'menu' button in the bottom task bar? I will explore the garmin display at the best buy. who knows maybe I will like it.

Going back to the hotel is quick and easy after you have set it as your present 'home location'. Touch the screen, 'navigate to' then 'home'.

I returned the 720 ang got the 930 because of the 'voice' command. Came out I'm not using the voice command anyway. But at least I got the remote control.. which is very handy in zooming in and out the map.

4) No traffic signal. I drove across Toronto today at 10:00 and 18:30. Not once did I pick up a traffic signal.

The traffic service was offline in Toronto for about 8 days at the end of July. This was caused by the transmitter failing. I've heard that a backup is now installed so there are two FM stations carrying the signal (88.9 & 100.7). This will provide some redundancy.

Use MapShare to correct missing POIs so everyone can benefit.
Lets use the tools they provide us.
I've corrected many POIs and as time goes by, I do less because I notice the updates are helping.

I've been going at it with the same mentality...
They made significant changes to the newest maps, so now we know that our efforts are making a difference. In the latest map release they used 55,000 changes from the MapShare database.

"The number of improvements incorporated from MapShare equals the number of inputs from all other data sources, making the MapShare Community the largest single contributor to mapping corrections for Tele Atlas..."
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1292

From what I have experienced in BC/ Alberta, it is going to take a HUGE number of MapShare updates to get these roads to being anywhere near where they should be, I know that I have already uploaded quite a number. I have found Hwy 93 between Banff and Jasper particularily bad. What become anoying is everytime you "leave the road" while in a route nav, the system has to completely reset itself when you come back onto the road.

[you
"leave the road
"

From what I understand Tom Tom is not an off road GPS. everytime you leave the road it will show you as out in no mans land.
I have an older Magellian Meridian Portable and it will show you where ever you are on/off road. But for Hwy directions it isn't as good as TT.

Ask a Question