Is there a video/mp3 media player for the tomtom 720

Is there a media player for the tomtom 720 that is easy to install and put in the root of the tomtom with out too many changes or works as a executable that is ready to go as soon as you turn it on.

If not what is the simplest media player to install with out making too many changes.

Is that the only option available for the TT or are there any others

There are a couple mplayer programs on a French Webpage called tomtomheaven.com.

Here is the page to the listing of them:
>>> Tomtomheaven.com Mplayer list <<<

Here is a direct link to the 1.0 Version:
>>> Mplayer 1.0 <<<

Here is the French to English translation for the 1.0 Version page:
Mplayer1.0 Convert to PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator
09-06-2007
Mplayer 1.0 + Gui

Mplayer 1.0

The installation is simple, you simply extract the contents of the archive at the root of the tomtom. The launch is by the icon mplayer that has been created.

At the launch of this version of mplayer, the main application of tomtom (ttn) will be adopted to allow for better reading. On leaving mplayer, the application will automatically be revived ttn ... simple and effective.

After launch, you will have to select your video via small GUI selection. Press "Play" to start the sequence.

Mplayer GUI

Our hotesse Tomtomheaven and presenter;) ... to guide you in the right direction ...

Mplayer 1.0

And voila with OSD enabled:

Skin

Download Mplayer 1.0 + GUI 1.0

Download Mplayer 1.0 + GUI 1.1

Download Mplayer 1.0 + GUI 1.2
Last update: (19-02-2008)

i tried to run the folders in the root of the tomtom and it didn't work for me. I did not see any executble files in the folders.

i tried to run the folders in the root of the tomtom and it didn't work for me. I did not see any executble files in the folders.

Are you using Mobilnova or the Tomtomheaven.com mplayer?

For the tomtomheaven mplayer, you need to take the contents in the /distrib folder and copy all of them directly to the root of your tomtom (note: you should not copy the /distrib folder to the tomtom, only the contents of this folder from the PC)

Once you copy those files onto the TomTom, you should have an icon to play the mplayer/gmplayer from TomTom heaven.

NOTE the following information from the INSTALL file that you download:
In english :
Extract the content of the distrib folder into the root of your tomtom (sdcard or hard disk).

If you experience reboot, then you have to create a "nowatchdog" file at the base of
your sdcard (or depending of your device, on your hardisk). You have to reset your device too.

For those who have a tomtom with a rotated screen :
- delete the Minigui.cfg file, and rename the Minigui_rotated.cfg file to MiniGUI.cfg
- delete the mplayer.conf file, and rename the mplayer_rotated.conf file to mplayer.conf

i am using tomtomheaven and i made a mistake i have 135.5 mb on my internal memory and i have on my 125.5mb sd card space left .

so after i unzip everything do i put the folders in the root of tomtom and the sd card. Do i use all three folders or is it just one. I saw that there was three things i need to download for mplayer to work

or do i need to download only one of them

is there a difference between mobilnova and the tomtom heaven, and suppose iwant to uninstall these media players how would i do it

MPlayer is free (No encoder provided)
MobilNova is not free (Includes encoder)

MPlayer has a basic interface and the MobilNova is cleaner (AKA GUI Driven, but customizable).

They both use the same open source mplayer encoders. (Link here: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html . I think the MPlayer or the GPlayer version are fine and run them on my One-XL. I use the GPlayer and with the mencoder.exe, I type the command lines to encode the videos, allowing more control over the MobilNova encoder. I can encode them and scale to the 480 X 272 resolution without cropping and adjust the Bitrate and FPS as I like.

Simply delete the folders to unistall (If I recall correctly they are as follows):

MobilNova:

Media
Audio
Video
in SDKRegistry > MediaCenter files

GPlayer or MPlayer:

mplayer
video
in SDKRegistry > mplayer or gplayer files

so after i unzip everything do i put the folders in the root of tomtom and the sd card. Do i use all three folders or is it just one. I saw that there was three things i need to download for mplayer to work

or do i need to download only one of them

You need everything in the /distrib folder. After you unzip, you only need to to use the files and folders in the /distrib folder. As I've already stated above, do NOT include the /distrib folder, only the files and folders IN that folder.

I would recommend the gmplayer instead of the mplayer folders.

Last edited:

Ask a Question