Icon Request - Subaru Impreza

Ad

Advertisements

TomTom Model(s)
340S TM (2011), ONE XL (2008)
You are welcome, Mick!

There are several programs and techniques to use, but the following are representative of the essentials:

1) Take picture of the car from slightly up and behind.
2) Save the picture in Bitmap format (.bmp)
3) Use 24-bit color
4) Resize the picture to its final size: 80 x 80 pixels
5) "Cut out" the car using Paint Shop Pro (or similar). THIS TAKES A STEADY HAND and for me, it needs to all be done with "one" pass.
6) Create a blank 80 X 80 pixel picture.
7) Copy/paste the cut-out car into the newly created picture, as a "new layer."
8) Use the ‘flood fill’ control to color the area surrounding the car in the new picture, using red (transparency color is 255,0,0) (R=255; G=0; B=0).
(NOTE: Turn off any "feathering" AND/OR "anti-aliasing" in your paint program before filling with red).
9) Save the picture as a .bmp file.

I emphasize that the above method does take a steady hand; sometimes it takes more than one attempt, and is best attempted before the 3rd cup of coffee (smile).

Good luck!

TomTom Model(s)
Go520,720,XL Live, Start60,Go940,950,1000,1005,New500,New5000
I'm sure I recognise that list of instructions from somewhere :lol:

I'm amazed we haven't made it a "sticky" before now, to encourage people to try making their own icons.

The only thing I'd mention is that in step 5, if you have a tool in your Paint program to make multi-part straight lines, then it is very easy to use that to quickly draw around the car with a RED line (and at 80x80 resolution, it really doesn't matter if you are a bit sloppy!)

Then just use the "Fill" tool to fill the space all around the car with red.

That saves a couple of steps...:)

But as you say, the most important thing to do is to switch off anti-aliasing or feathering, otherwise you get lots of "nearly red" pixels that don't go transparent in the final icon.

TomTom Model(s)
340S TM (2011), ONE XL (2008)
Thanks Andy for the hint on above step 5; I've not thought of that technique. Have to try it the next time.

At my age, I'm all in favor of saving a few steps :thumb:

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question