Hi All...........................

TomTom Model(s)
1005 Live EU and 740 Live EU
Hi all, joined up yesterday, using a new GO 1005 EU which gets switched between my Ford, Honda and BMW. My 740 Live just gave up the ghost and after much contact with various members of TomTom CS I am no further forward in getting it up and running again. Last CS guy told me that they would send a flat pack box to enable me to return it for repair, that was nearly two weeks ago, nothing arrived as yet. Looking forward to getting the required updates and add some more features to the new baby. Have owned a number of Garmin and TomTom units in the past, just hope that I have'nt made a mistake buying this one. I use a seperate mount in each of my cars, it is so easy to switch the GPS when changing vehicles. Anyway, good luck all, cheers, John

Attachments

• Cars 002.jpg
    Cars 002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 272
Hi John and welcome to TTF, whats up with your 740 does it do anything when you press the power button? - Mike

Hi Mike, many thanks for the quick reply. I updated the speed cameras section around three weeks ago. After doing that 740 switched itself off seconds after the start up procedure got under way and would restart many times per minute. After a few attempts to start I ended up with a black background screen with tiny white print giving every detail about the unit as you would get when looking into a computer hard drive, and would not progress any further, this screen would go away only when external power was removed and it would be completely dead. The 740 would only do this when running on external power, it refused to do anything at all under it's own steam. CS told me many times to put the unit in the docking station and link it to my computer, but the computer now refuses to recognise that it is connected as it is a non starter, so I am now on a hiding to nothing. Hope that the above makes sense. All the best, John

It sounds like the internal flash memory has died from what you describe, the black screen with white writing on it is quite normal when you hold down the power button.

Next question, do you have a back up of the device on your computer, taken (preferably) with Windows Explorer or (worse) TomTom Home?
If the answer to the above is yes get a 4GB MicroSD card, copy the back up to the card and put it in the slot in the base of the device then try switching it on, it should boot and work from the card - Mike

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exige456

Latest Threads

Back