Another Newbie

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340TM
Hi all,

I haven't purchased a TomTom yet (and I should mention this would be my first ever GPS purchase), but I'm looking at either the XL 340TM or XL 350TM.

Both are on sale at BB, and I'm finding myself really torn on which one to get!

The 350 appears to be a newer model and is $100, while the 340 is $120, but has more features?

Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Frank

The 350 has the 'easy menu' ? or what others have referred to as the 'dumbed down' menu. It's up to you, but I'd personally prefer having the 540 with a full operational menu.

BTW, welcome to TTF. :)

Thanks,

From what I read on these forums, If I understand correctly, doesn't the latest firmware for the 350 give it the full menu functionality?

Yes, it's true that there is a new app for the 'easy menu' devices – but I don't think they're all there. As per a quote from that thread...

Tomtom has just released app 9.150 to the XL and XXL EasyMenu models.

This appears to be an about-face on Tomtom's part, returning many (but not all) of the features from earlier models that were removed in new EasyMenu models.

New features include:
- Custom POI support
- POI on map view
- Route details (map view, text view, etc)
- Route demo
- Planning preferences
- Volume preferences

It looks like Tomtom got the message that customers were unhappy with all the feature removal on the Easymenu system.
It's your choice of course. Don't know what the price is for a XL-335TM, but that's what I bought a few months ago. The only difference is that the 335TM (vs 340TM) doesn't have Mexico map. As I never plan to visit Mexico, I thought getting a 335 would free up some much needed space with the map being smaller.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks again,

I think I will go with the XL 340TM!

One last question. If I ever travel to Europe, can Europe maps be installed on this device?

Thanks,

From what I read on these forums, If I understand correctly, doesn't the latest firmware for the 350 give it the full menu functionality?

No, it gives you more functionality than the original application (now, 3 pages of user preferences) but not full functionality of,say, the 540 which has 6 pages of preferences or the (now) old Go series which had 8 pages of preferences.

That said, if you follow thre following thread:
GpsPasSion Forums - [TIP] Enabling POI Alerts on TomTom Start/Ease

you can get even more functionality out of the 350

Thanks again,

I think I will go with the XL 340TM!

One last question. If I ever travel to Europe, can Europe maps be installed on this device?

It is possible but there is some manipulating that needs to take place. You must move the North_America map to the computer. Then, when you purchase the European map, it all won't fit on the unit. Only 'chunks' called zones will be installed since the total European map is larger (2.2 gb) than the storage on the 340 (2 gigs) and there is no expansion slot on that model.

Further, if you want to visit a country in, for example, Europe_West that includes countries such as UK, Italy and France but also want to travel to a country in another zone such as Germany, you'll need your computer with you to switch out Europe_West for the zone that includes Germany.

I think so. But of course you would have to purchase the map for Europe. AND, since the map of Europe has gotten so big, all of Europe won't fit on the 2-gigs of memory. For that reason, you'll have to load certain 'zones' of Europe. You would also have to remove your map of the US_Canada to your computer so you'll have enough room to install what ever zone of Europe.

They have the 540TM-WTE (World Traveler Edition) which has both US / Canada / and Europe on the 4 gigs of memory. BUT, the European map is not part of the 'Lifetime' map offer. Of course the WTE is a bit more $$ too.

Thank you both again for all your help!

XL 340TM it is!

This seems to have the features I want for an affordable price!

If I ever do travel to Europe, I would have my Laptop with me anyway, so switching zones would be no big deal. i just wanted to make sure the unit had that capability if I ever need it!

Frank

Ask a Question