910 - Glare problem

TomTom Model(s)
When it's sunny, and I'm wearing sunglasses - I can hardly see the 910 screen - I changed the brightness to 100%, but made no difference - is there a contrast setting I've missed somewhere?

Thanks!

When it's sunny, and I'm wearing sunglasses - I can hardly see the 910 screen - I changed the brightness to 100%, but made no difference - is there a contrast setting I've missed somewhere?

Thanks!
What about taking your glasses off? Does that make a difference? If you are wearing polarized glasses that may be the issue. Polarized glasses don't allow you to see through liquid crystal. I have that problem when I fly in a "glass panel" cockpit plane. Can't wear the glasses...

What about taking your glasses off? Does that make a difference? If you are wearing polarized glasses that may be the issue. Polarized glasses don't allow you to see through liquid crystal. I have that problem when I fly in a "glass panel" cockpit plane. Can't wear the glasses...

Yep. That definately is a problem with many LCD panels. More and more, manufacturers of marine and aviation displays are starting to look at using OLED instead of LCD. The problem is that OLEDs need to play catchup in terms of size, colour-depth and resolution.

To the OP, if you're wearing polarised sunglasses, you might want to try repositioning the unit so your viewing angle is nearly perpendicular. High deflection angled viewing is where the combined polarisation of the sunglasses and the panel starts cancelling out the image.

Thanks!
I did not have this problem on my TomTomOne 3rd edition, but do have it on my new TomTomOne 140.s. (I still have both TomToms and have just done side by side comparisons) It is in fact due to polarization. Both TomToms have polarized lenses, but in the 3rd edition model the orientation of the TomTom lense was such that wearing polarized sun glasses did not cause a problem. For the 140.s, if you are wearing polarized sun glasses you cannot see the screen unless you cock your head sideways (alternately, if you cock your head sideways on the One 3rd edition, the screen is difficult to see). This appears to me to be either a design defect on the 140.s, or maybe they do not check the direction of polarity when manufacturing the lenses so it's a random thing (which, I guess, would also be a design defect).

I realize this isn't the perfect solution but I fine that when I put my screen on Night view it seems to be a bit easier to see in bright sunlight.
I use Florida day and night schemes on my 920

Last edited:

Ask a Question