910 and Mazda CX-7

Here are some pics of my TomTom mounted in my CX-7. They are kind of dark, but I think you will see what I did. I used the mount that came with my TomTom and modified my dash somewhat. The way the CX-7's dash it made, there was not really a good place to put it with the disc or in the window, it has a very steep slant. So I decided to see if I could use the middle vent in the dash.

I popped the middle vent out after taking that section of the dash off. I then modified a dash mounting disc so that it would fit into the hole left by the vent. I put some 3M double sided heavy duty tape on the disc to hold it in place.

I also had to take apart the original TomTom mount and reassembled with the "T" on the docking end of the mount and kept the ball and pin that was on the suction cup mount.

I then drilled a hole in the previously mounted disc, put the end of the "T" that was left out on the docking mount through the hole. To hold that in place, I simply put the ball and pin back in place on the other end once it was through the hole.

It is very stable as the little rubber "feet" rest on the dash and I have everything wired behind the dash. Still working on the mic placement, but for now, it is placed in it's holder next to the TT. If not for the extra wire for the mic you wouldn't see any wires at all. If anyone has any ideas for that let me know.

Attachments

• Picture 001A.jpg
    Picture 001A.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,416
  • Picture 004A.jpg
    Picture 004A.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Picture 012A.jpg
    Picture 012A.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Picture 007A.jpg
    Picture 007A.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,005
Nice setup!!!
How is the mount secured?

When I took apart the mount, I saved the "ball" that went on the end of the "T" mount and the pin that secured it to the end. Once I drill the hole and put the end of the "T" mount though the drilled hole, I reattached the ball and pin and it keeps it from pulling through the drilled hole. There is no "play" and it all fits very nicely.

mic

run it under the console through the ac vent and up your driver a pillar and clip onto your sunvisor or the headliner. Thats what i did with my parrot install and it works great. I have a mazdaspeed 6.

Thanks for this post. I have a CX-7 as well, and I was wondering how I was going to mount this. I have it suctioned to the window right now, and its a P.I.T.A.

I wonder if I could leave the centre vent in though...

I was much inspired by the pictures, but I was not able to ease the centre vent out of my CX-7. So I compromised. I used double sided tape to stick the "dash mount" disc to the centre vent (when closed) and then use the suction mount to attach the TT to the dash mount disc.

Although it projects forward more than the excellent mounting shown in this thread, it still gets great reception, presumably because the windshield is so steeply raked.

Does it have a tendacy to heat up, if you have to use the heater on Cold days? Or just switch the Blower to Floor or defrost? Very nice install.

I just bought a 730T and will be installing it in a 2009 Ford Escape and switching between that and a 2006 F-150.

Ask a Question