4 Gb Sd for One XL

Can this model read a 4Gb SD card, or just a 1 or 2Gb SD card?

Check this link from TomTom:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=memory+cards+for+one+xl&FID=2634

It appears not. Seems your model has 1 gig internal memory; consequently, your sd card would be limited to that size as well. Further, with your model, memory management is an either/or situation, meaning the maps & the operating system must BOTH in internal memory or the sd card.

Nevertheless, read through the entire link.

So, the 2 GIG card I have in mine right now should not be working?
Shhhhhh, don't say it too loud and maybe it will keep working :)

Actually, I screwed up my post and wanted to edit out the part about 1 gig being the maximum.

My bad. :(

There is another user on here that is currently using a 4gig SDHC card in his XLS... It was a TopRam 150x card, I believe. I personally am using a ATPRo 150x 2gig card. Works fine.

*tsk tsk* DHN... Gotta watch what those fingers type! ;)

There is another user on here that is currently using a 4gig SDHC card in his XLS... It was a TopRam 150x card, I believe. I personally am using a ATPRo 150x 2gig card. Works fine.

*tsk tsk* DHN... Gotta watch what those fingers type! ;)

It really is a flaw in the software that runs this board. Honest! :)

But your point is well taken, anyway!. Maybe, I should just try to be a 'rep XXXXX', too! :D :D

I am using a 4gig sd card, hdsd wont work, however a regular 4gig sd card works fine, format in fat, copy everything from your TomTom to your card using a reader is the easiest. Plug the card in, restart the TT and it works great.

I don't understand the whole rep whore thing, but to each their own... ;)

JustJoe, did you format your card to fat16 or fat32? My 2gig card I formatted to fat32... Wonder if there is a difference or not... And what is hdsd? I've not heard of that type before... Is it new?

I used regular old Fat32 worked fine, hdsd are new higher speed card that is physically identical to the regular sd but only the newest cameras, phones etc...can use them.

Are you sure you're not talking about SDHC? Secure Digital High Capacity? If so, I would have agreed with you... Except there is another person on here that just got a 4gig SDHC card for his XLS (or XL, can't remember which he/she had) and it did work in their GPS. So, now I don't know any more. :)

My impression on this is that people at Tomtom design/manufacturing are putting different components in different GPS and the decision of what to put in varies with time and their suppliers. Somewhat similar to computer motherboards. Some old chips are not supplied anymore and often replaced with cheaper more capable replacements. The ONE XL-S was announced in October 2007 and may have benefitted from such newness with a better chipset/adapter than the older manufactured equipment. I don't know any TT employee and not saying this from factual knowledge of TT. Just consider it as a likely scenario.

So, a regular 4Gb sd card, formatted FAT32, copy everything (redundant system) and the TT XL will read from the card? Also, how can i save a route to the card? (silly newbie, i kno)

So, a regular 4Gb sd card, formatted FAT32, copy everything (redundant system) and the TT XL will read from the card? Also, how can i save a route to the card? (silly newbie, i kno)

Note that the XL-S is different to the XL and introduced more recently. It adds text-to-speech and has larger RAM than the non S model.

Do you already have the SD or SDHC card? That point is not clear when I reread this thread. If you don't and want to be sure your card will work, the XL is not supposed to be able to read SDHC cards and would need a regular SD card. Regular SD cards were limited to 2GB for a long time and the standard said they were to be formatted in FAT16 which is normally limited to 2GB. Then someone discovered that one could use FAT16 with large cluster size to access a max of 4GB. The standard for SDHC says the cards are to be formatted with FAT32 and range from 4GB to 16GB and more. There are also a few other differences between SD and SDHC cards that affect the adapter to which it is attached to that prevent an SD card reader to fully access an SDHC card. The physical dimensions are the same so the SDHC card can be inserted in the SD slot. Only a handful of engineers at Tomtom could say for sure that the XL manufactured from a specific date could have a different part number making it compatible with SDHC cards because the old part was unavailable but, in the original design, the XL is not compatible with SDHC.

As for my decision for my XL-S to get an SDHC card. The compatibility tables did not list it. The internal memory was FAT32 which was a hint to be compatible with the SDHC standard. I could have been wrong as standards are not always adhered to...

I know that, using TTHome with my 720, I can choose whether to use internal storage or the memory card. But that is because the operating system can be on internal and the sd is treated as add on memory.

I think for your unit, once you'vfe copied the operating system to the card, once you boot up the unit, it will **only** see the card as the storage location for everything.....maps, poi's, mp3's and recent destinations AND saved itineraries.

Can this model read a 4Gb SD card, or just a 1 or 2Gb SD card?

Guess this is well resolved by now, however, as a specific 'maybe' recommendation ... I have recent TT One LE ... I think is same internals as XL (1GB plus SD slot) ... and runs fine (so far) with 'Transcend TS4GSD133' (4GB SD ... not, repeat not ... HC). Have USA, Europe, New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong installed and still showing around 2GB available ... so is recognising full 4GB capacity O.K.

I previously posted my trials & tribulations with a 4G SDHC card in my XL-S. Bottom line is that it will read a 4G SDHC OK, but will not write reliably to it. I switched over to a 2G card and never had another problem.

I previously posted my trials & tribulations with a 4G SDHC card in my XL-S. Bottom line is that it will read a 4G SDHC OK, but will not write reliably to it. I switched over to a 2G card and never had another problem.

I also have a 4GB SDHC TopRam 150x card and find the TT system has written to it without problem with quite a few screendumps that I later viewed with IrfanView and were all fine. It is only when the card is inserted in the TT system linked to the USB computer connection that problems occur on non very small writes (Quickfix is OK but not MapShare). It warns of delayed writes and I need to do a ?chkdsk? on the SDHC card that I connect with the adapter. Usually the next write seems to do fine but have seen it occur again. The TT cable USB connection is v1.1 standard which is really slow.

4gb

Well i tried 4 GB SD card and no luck, i formated FAT32 and FAT and everytime it boots it hangs on the start up picture. but 2GB no problem works great. this is on a TT One XL

Well i tried 4 GB SD card and no luck, i formated FAT32 and FAT and everytime it boots it hangs on the start up picture. but 2GB no problem works great. this is on a TT One XL

With 4GB, you need FAT32 format. Have you transfered all the internal memory files to your SD card?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abowen

Latest Threads

Back