Why not? "House numbers not available for this street"

So why do TomToms have issues finding addresses on some really major streets when Garmins don't? Would upgrading my maps help? I have a GO 930 using the original US & Canada map v800.1727. I don't always know the cross street and if I did I would tend not to need the TomTom.

Does anyone know if newer map releases have cleared up this annoying aspect?

For example, could someone with an up-to-date map version please try navigating to 1424 Hurontario, Mississauga, ON, CAN?

So why do TomToms have issues finding addresses on some really major streets when Garmins don't? Would upgrading my maps help? I have a GO 930 using the original US & Canada map v800.1727. I don't always know the cross street and if I did I would tend not to need the TomTom.

Does anyone know if newer map releases have cleared up this annoying aspect?

For example, could someone with an up-to-date map version please try navigating to 1424 Hurontario, Mississauga, ON, CAN?
My TomTom wants to know what on earth I'd be doing going to a street called Hurontario to begin with :D

No problem setting up a navigation to that specific address with my map version 830, but I'm advised that it is going to be a rather long trip from Colorado!

After being on the 403 and spending 13:25 minutes on the QEW, I am advised that I need to exit 132 for Hurontario Street / SB Service Road, and continue to 1424.

Somewhat faster (and shorter) trip for me, about 47.4 km. :D

No problem navigating to it with the 830 map on my 720.

Somewhat faster (and shorter) trip for me, about 47.4 km. :D

No problem navigating to it with the 830 map on my 720.
1,497 miles for me. Might as well call it 1500 - not a one day trip in any case. Anyway, I forgot to mention that apart from the 830 map, I'm running 8.351 firmware in the very unlikely event that it winds up mattering. Sounds like the OP just needs to consider purchasing the newer map set.

So why do TomToms have issues finding addresses on some really major streets when Garmins don't?
Can you please tell us which major streets that Tomtom has trouble while Garmin doesn't?

$100 more for a 1 not quite 1 year old GO 930 with a weak battery, iffy bluetooth - it hangs up on people, and sometimes reboots - fresh 8.351 from a recent reformat. hrmm?

It would end up costing no more than $60 which would include the latest map + the map update service, which would give you a total of 5 maps for around $60. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, not to mention that it would solve that house number problem.

Remember, DO NOT go to the "add maps" screen. Simply click on the Ad in TomTom Home that is offering you the map update service. It will automatically add the latest map to the invoice at an incredibly high discounted rate.

Sage, it ain't that easy for Canadians. As I've posted, ultimately we get directed to a Dutch payment site.

It would end up costing no more than $60 which would include the latest map + the map update service, which would give you a total of 5 maps for around $60. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, not to mention that it would solve that house number problem.

Remember, DO NOT go to the "add maps" screen. Simply click on the Ad in TomTom Home that is offering you the map update service. It will automatically add the latest map to the invoice at an incredibly high discounted rate.

I'm not seeing those deals - it shows $89.95, and now not trusting what I do see. Spending even $50 on a less than 1 year old TomTom just to get it to do what any of my buddy's Garmin's do doesn't seem like a good deal. The GO 930 was pricey!

I see the subscription at $47.80 and to use that half price on starting with the latest map for an other $47.80 (which is half off).

I'm highly tempted to do an end run...

I'm not seeing those deals - it shows $89.95, and now not trusting what I do see. Spending even $50 on a less than 1 year old TomTom just to get it to do what any of my buddy's Garmin's do doesn't seem like a good deal. The GO 930 was pricey!

I see the subscription at $47.80 and to use that half price on starting with the latest map for an other $47.80 (which is half off).

I'm highly tempted to do an end run...

Ohh I forgot that your map is 4 quarters old. My map was discounted 85% and was only 1 quarter old which is why it cost me $11.95 +$47.80 US for a total of 5 maps. In your case it's still a MUCH better deal than purchasing a single map. To order the map update service, you HAVE to purchase the latest map which once again, gets added to your invoice automatically. For 5 maps, I don't think it's a bad deal at all :)

Not only that, but I think Garmin only has map updates once a year right?

No, 4 times a year. In addition, Garmin doesn't require you to pay for the latest map upgrade before using your lifetime subscription. A guy with a 2 year old map pays the same price as one with a nearly new one. FWIW, my lifetime map sub was $88 from a Garmin dealer and I never have to pay another dime while I own my nuvi.

Last edited:
My version of Susan is 6.91, canderson. What is yours?
"Include" = "EnglishUs6.9.lde" per Suzie's vde file. However, the file itself (which appears to be dated 12/5/08) sports the 16000 in the filename.

Been out geocaching by bike today... just getting caught up.

Last edited:

Ask a Question