TomTom One XLS GPS signal

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL-S
Im sure alot of you have this same problem..About a week ago it was working fine..Now it keeps saying searing for sattellates..When I click on bottom part of the screen to see how many satellates I have I have over 4, now I have 6 but on the main screen it still says searching and there are no bars...? I also reset it and updated the Quickfix GPS. Maybe an exteral antenna will do the trick?

Thanks
Chris

Did you do a pin reset it after the quickgpsfix? Then just wait on the satellite screen for about 5 minutes. Once it picks up signal everything should be back to normal.

If at least 4 bars are over 50% high, then you have great reception and don't need an antenna.

It says I have 5-6 satellites, thats only when I click on the menu that shows the satelitte screen(click the bottom right, the GPS Status screen) its not showing that I have any sat's on the main screen though, which is weird..I looked all over for the pin reset button I couldnt find it..There is also no external SD card slot...The GPS is a refurbished from Tiger GPS

Last edited:
If you have no pin in your unit, hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. You'll know the tomtom has reset if you see the legal disclaimer screen with the "I agree" at the lower right.

You can see my long post in this link to understand how GPS works and what the GPS status screen is telling you. The detail screen has info that helps you understand/troubleshoot getting a signal at all.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/16534-how-read-gps-status-page.html

In short:
Step 1: reset via pin or holding the power button
Step 2: Put the GPS in a location where you have at least 4 satellites on the detail GPS screen, and the height of at least 1 bar is 75% high, and wait until the GPS syncs (the bars change colors). This may be 5-10 minutes
Step 3: Go to the regular screen and keep waiting until the reception increase to 5 bars.
Step 4: Download quickgpsfix

After this everything should be back to normal.

If you have no pin in your unit, hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. You'll know the tomtom has reset if you see the legal disclaimer screen with the "I agree" at the lower right.

You can see my long post in this link to understand how GPS works and what the GPS status screen is telling you. The detail screen has info that helps you understand/troubleshoot getting a signal at all.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/16534-how-read-gps-status-page.html

In short:
Step 1: reset via pin or holding the power button
Step 2: Put the GPS in a location where you have at least 4 satellites on the detail GPS screen, and the height of at least 1 bar is 75% high, and wait until the GPS syncs (the bars change colors). This may be 5-10 minutes
Step 3: Go to the regular screen and keep waiting until the reception increase to 5 bars.
Step 4: Download quickgpsfix

After this everything should be back to normal.

Holy S**t, it worked! haha thanks man..I could of defiantly used this info 3 days agoo haha..again thanks..Question for you though, In the preference settings it has a reset factory settings button, what makes the difference between each two?

Last edited by a moderator:
A reset by pushing a pin in the reset hole or holding down the power button on the newer devices just stops the processor and forces the device to reload the application when it next boots up, you don't loose any settings with this.
Pressing the Restore factory defaults option from the menu pages on the device will eraze some files storing your setup/ configuration, your Home location, POI Warnings choice of voice, country of use - it kind of returns the device back to when you first switched it on imediatly after purchase - Mike

A reset by pushing a pin in the reset hole or holding down the power button on the newer devices just stops the processor and forces the device to reload the application when it next boots up, you don't loose any settings with this.
Pressing the Restore factory defaults option from the menu pages on the device will eraze some files storing your setup/ configuration, your Home location, POI Warnings choice of voice, country of use - it kind of returns the device back to when you first switched it on imediatly after purchase - Mike

Thanks bro

Ask a Question