TomTOm One vs Mio C220

I'm finally ready to pull the trigger one a personal navigation system. My old school black and white Garmin eTrex Vista has served well for camping but is an absoute waste of time as far as in car navigation is concerned.

Anyway, I've been doing a ton of reading on budget Navigation units and here is where I am at right now. The Nuvi's are my favorite so far but due to their price they are out of the equation. I can't find one cheaper than $370 and my budget is <$250.

Next, I've also looked at some cheaper units like the ViaMichelin, Roadmax, and Navman units all around $150-$200. I've read some good things about most but the common theme is that their interface is not as polished and refined as the Garmin and TomTom units. I've also looked into Magellen and Lowrance units and what Iv'e found is that many are using 12 channel GPS without the SiRF III chips and many are also using outdated 2005 maps. So I'm not eager to go that route either.

So I've kind of Narrowed it down to the Mio c220 and the TomTom One. Looking at the specs they are amazingly similar. Both use 2007 teleatlas maps and have 3.5" screens with SiRF III chips. My main concern is having good maps and good POI databases and some user flexability. I'm not concerned with MP3, Photoviewing, and things like that. I can get the Mio for $181 shipped and I can get the TomTom for $242 shipped.

So my main question for you guys is this: If I buy the TomTom what am I getting for my extra $39 bucks? Is it just TomTom's proven track record or is the navigation and routing actually better on the TomTom?

I understand this is a TomTom forum so I expect you all will push the TomTom. I just want to hear what you guys feel are the main advantages.

Thanks all.

World wide GPS sale is TomTom, Garmin & Mio in descending order.
That proves that Mio is no slouch when it comes to navigation. Beside Mios can be hacked to mimic others like TomTom.
But I'll play safe and buy the One.

Ask a Question