TomTom 920 T Has Died

TomTom Model(s)
920 T
Hi All,

I have been having issues with my 920T for about 7 months now. It started after an update. It would tell me that it could not read the storage area.

I reported this fault to tomtom and they had me run the driver error check through vista. this worked first time and fixed the errors. This has continuosly happened every fortnight.

Now after the last update it will do nothing. It starts to boot and then gets to a screen with a red cross. I follow the steps from tomtom (reset device) plug into computer and format drive. however when I plug it in it sees the drive but will not let me carry out any function to format and then re-install from my backup. It now just sits there with the boot up screen with the picture of the tomtom and tomtom go 920 in the top right hand corner.

I have emailed tomtom 4 times now but have recieved no reply.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Still an Issue

Yup tried all of those on the link. the main problem that I have is as follows:

I have backed up the device and I am quite happy to format the device and then reinstall. However when I now attach the device the computer starts to recognize it and it shows in explorer. When you then right click to goto properties then tools etc it tells me that the device is no longer recognized.

The tomtom will not go past the screen with green background and eventually flashes the red cross.

I got back in touch with tomtom again as they recommended the link. I explained to them that if you cannot access the device you cannot format it.

I await their reply.

Can you go into Computer Management in Windows to see if the computer is assigning a drive letter properly to the unit when it's connected to the computer? If you can establish the connection properly, maybe you can format the unit then.

You might go to Windows device manager after your have connected it. It should show a yellow warning symbol under "disk drives". In any case, if you have gotten the message in your last post, find the device in device manager, and with properties - uninstall it. Then "scan for hardware changes", and see if ir is able to install it correctly.

Also, try a different USB port - especially if you are plugged into the front of a desktop - try one in back.

If none of them will work, it probably indicates you have a bad unit. I had a 910 that was RMA'd last year for that very reason.

Hi thanks for all the info guys.

i tired the following. Unassigned the drive letter and re-assinged. Same issue it sees the drive but will not let me access it.

I went into device manager. Uninstalled device at the yellow icon and then reinstalled.

It found the device again. it then shows in explorer but still when I click on it I am informed of no device found.

I have also tried a new usb port as I have 4 all are the same.

If the unit is completely shagged how long does it take through tomtom for a replacement

Sorry for your problems....I don't know how long it takes for repairs in North America or, for that matter, where TT has the repairs done.

You'll have to call them. I hope you somehow had a backup because you may get a refurb as a replacement.

Rma

TT UK have now got back to me. The unit is knackered and they are going to give me an RMA number to send it in for repair.

I have made a back up of the device about 4 weeks ago. I presume if they were to send me a refurb that it would:

A. Have a new guarantee for the product.
B. At least come with all the maps installed i.e. UK, Europe, US.
C. There should be no issues with the Safety camera subscription.

many thanks

If you had done a map guarantee update download to your TomTom account, it would donwload again through Home to the replacement unit.

Other then that, the unit should have maps, and they will probably be the same versions you had. If not, and/or if you had dome a map guarantee update to one map on your old unit and it will not download again, you sould go after support.

If the replacement is a refurb (highly likely) you get a 6 month warranty on it. If your original term was 2 years (unlikely - I think that was only on 910's), it would still be in effect if it termed out latter then the 6 months on the refurb.

I basically had the same issue. It wouldn't boot up fully... I've tried all steps via tom toms website. I called them.. they took me through the same steps but basically when I clicked on the drive the tom tom was regsitering.. it was telling me to "please insert a disk".

To sum it up.. they said to send it to them because this was a very strange problem. They have since shipped me a new 920 which is set to be delivered tomorrow.

Posted

Well I have posted the unit of and now just wait for a replacement.

I had done a map guarantee download before so should be ok.

If I have any dramas I will contact support who once they realised the problem were very quick to act.

Now if only British Telecom and their outsourced call centre were as helpfull :rolleyes:

Hi thanks for all the info guys.

i tired the following. Unassigned the drive letter and re-assinged. Same issue it sees the drive but will not let me access it.

I went into device manager. Uninstalled device at the yellow icon and then reinstalled.

It found the device again. it then shows in explorer but still when I click on it I am informed of no device found.

I have also tried a new usb port as I have 4 all are the same.

If the unit is completely shagged how long does it take through tomtom for a replacement

Not sure how long you might have to wait but I had to RMA my 920 and I had the replacement back in less than 10 business days. I was in the USA at the time.

Ask a Question