The Definitive AT&T / Cingular Blackberry & TomTom Plus services Thread

Blackberry on T-mobile

Glad to see that some folks have had success with the 8700 ... my Dad's considering purchasing an 8700 through T-mobile - would you expect that the info above pertaining to Cingular will translate over to a Tmobile 8700 as well?

By the way, I'm now running the OS 4.3.1.14 beta on my 8100, and the TomTom plus services do work through it. It took a few tries though.

This is a beta OS, so it may not have all of the same restrictions that the production ones do, so who knows.

Also, please don't ask me where I got this, I'm not allowed to provide it to anyone.

I sure hope this is a good sign of things to come, because I didn't really like 4.2.1.66!

H*ll yeah! Another satisfied customer who got it working via BB OS downgrade

I bricked my old BB Pearl on the first try cuz I didn't config Desktop Manager to install the new OS - I just wiped the Pearl completely...
Lucky for me I could drive down to my local ATT Tech Support center and up front they offered me a new Pearl. I took them up on it and got better self-educated on how to do an OS firmware replacement on DM so I wouldn't brick another cellie. After downgrading my BB Pearl the 720 hooked up with Plus on the first try! Best of all, I'm rocking Traffic thru the BB Pearl - much needed in the Raleigh-Durham metro and for the bi-annual family forays up I-95 to visit the Inlawzz in Alexandria.

Keep the faith, BB users, you can get Bluetooth functionality from your BB to the TomTom, just get OS A4.2.1.66 firmware from the Italian RIM site.

Cheers and Happy Holidays

Last edited:
been trying to get my One XL to work with my ATT bb pearl and no luck so far. i downgraded to 4.2.1.66 and still no dice. I have BIS not BES, and no i don't have media max.

do i need to add media max to get it to work?

Have you read the info about correct user ID and password for your cell service?

Make sure your settings are correct. Don't be afraid to call TomTom customer service, as well.
BTW, I haven't been able to get Plus services for 2 days. Maybe they got overwhelmed with all the new units that probably came online in during the las t few days.

Make sure your settings are correct. Don't be afraid to call TomTom customer service, as well.
BTW, I haven't been able to get Plus services for 2 days. Maybe they got overwhelmed with all the new units that probably came online in during the las t few days.

Well, It just says that it can't establish an internet connection. I'll try customer service today.

Disable Your Firewall

I have a blackberry 8310 and the GO 510. I have an unlimited Data plan but I am on BES and I have been unsuccessful. I tried to find somewhere to downgrade my OS to 4.2.1.66 but I couldn't find that anywhere either. I have a traffic subscription that is going to waste :(

Hello there;
Please disable your firewall on your blackberry. Blackberry units that are configured for a BES have the firewall on by default, this is a part of the BES IT policy, if you are unable to disable your firewall, then ask yourBES support personnel to enable the external connections to your blackberry within the assigned BES IT policy, that will do the trick.

Options----->Security options----->Firewall

I've stated this in a few threads already, but to save you all some trouble, please note that 4.2.1.66 is the ONLY known version of the BlackBerry firmware that allows the use of TomTom PLUS Services (or bluetooth access to the dial up networking function of the Blackberry). If you're not running 4.2.1.66, you're just going to pull your hair out trying to get it to work.

I personally "downgraded" to 4.2.1.66 because I decided I could live with the few bugs that exist in .66 that have been fixed in the latest version (for the pearl) .107.

Hi there,

Still no way of getting the 4.2.1.96 BB OS to work with the TomTom:confused:

I had a 910/BB 8800 and had successfully connected to it for the traffic info. It was running OS 4.2.1.66. I upgrade my phone to the BB 8820 (with WiFi) and OS 4.2.2 and have had no luck getting the data for traffic which I really miss especially living in Atlanta area! I can't really back load to the older OS since the 4.2.1.66 did not have the WiFi capability.
Any other suggesstions on how to get this to work?

I love to find old threads that answer my questions, thanks!

I've been able to set my new XLS to connect to my BB Pearl (OS 4.2.1.66) on ATT using the settings listed in the first post. I can now access Plus services, but because I'm going a little slow (read "cheap"), I haven't signed up for traffic service yet. I can get weather forecasts however, and I'm not quite sure what else I can do with this new capability for the XL-S. I'll have to do some more searching, I guess.

The (maybe) new wrinkle is, since I've set this up, when I boot TT Home, I am having trouble updating the XLS. It's working only every other time or so. Do I have a network connection rat race going on here? Has anybody else run into this problem?

I've been able to set my new XLS to connect to my BB Pearl (OS 4.2.1.66) on ATT using the settings listed in the first post. I can now access Plus services, but because I'm going a little slow (read "cheap"), I haven't signed up for traffic service yet. I can get weather forecasts however, and I'm not quite sure what else I can do with this new capability for the XL-S. I'll have to do some more searching, I guess.

The (maybe) new wrinkle is, since I've set this up, when I boot TT Home, I am having trouble updating the XLS. It's working only every other time or so. Do I have a network connection rat race going on here? Has anybody else run into this problem?

Update:

My network connection issue has not re-occurred. Perhaps it was unrelated to the BB hookup.

Thanks to others posting on TTF and a little searching, I discovered that you can ask for (they won't offer) and receive a three month trial subscription to TT Traffic. It's working well. Road Trip!

Bummer! My (older model) Pearl had trouble with the DST shift (even though I loaded the patch last year). The only way I could fix it was to upgrade my OS to 4.2.1.96, so I can no longer link to the TomTom data service.

So...I'm bumping this thread with hopes that someone has found a workaround for this silly problem...anyone?

Thx

Are you on BIS or BES

Ask a Question