SD CARD I/O Error

Hi folks. It looks like I've managed to corrupt my SD card. The unit freezes at switch on and I get an I/O error when using the card in my PC.

I've tried a restore but Home says I'm using a different card (which I am - I bought a larger card for so I could have US and UK maps on one). My wife says she thinks she through the One box away where I'd left the card with the back-up.

Any ideas? If I buy a new card, will Home allow a restore?

What model of One do you have? Does it have an internal memory, or is everything on the card? From your description, it sounds like you have one of the original One's.

The original One was all black and a bit bulkier than the present day One's. It had no internal memory and required a card in order to function. Is this yours?

If so, your biggest concern is the map. The operating software is free but the map is worth big money. If it has been corrupted and you have no backup, you only alternative is to phone Customer Service and beg them to provide you with another map.

Hi folks. It looks like I've managed to corrupt my SD card. The unit freezes at switch on and I get an I/O error when using the card in my PC.

I've tried a restore but Home says I'm using a different card (which I am - I bought a larger card for so I could have US and UK maps on one). My wife says she thinks she through the One box away where I'd left the card with the back-up.

Any ideas? If I buy a new card, will Home allow a restore?

It you have a backup of your files on your PC, this is what I would do:

1) Either take the SD card out of the TomTom and put it in an SD slot in your PC

OR

Connect your TomTom to your PC with the SD card installed

2) Once the SD card is recognized by your PC, use Windows Explorer to copy your backup files onto the SD card

3) Once the files are copied, safely remove your TomTom from the PC (or safely remove the SD card and put the SD card in your TomTom)

4) Press the RESET button on hte bottom of your TomTom

5) Boot your TomTom.

If you DON'T have a backup:
1) Do the same connection as #1 above
2) Using windows explorer, RIGHT click on the drive for your SD card...this will pull up a menu
3) Select PROPERTIES on the menu
4) Click the TOOLS tab
5) Under the ERROR CHECKING section, click CHECK NOW
--> Be sure to check the "Automatically Fix File System Errors" box
--> Be sure to check the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" box
6) Once the check completes, safely remove your TomTom or your SD card
7) Click the RESET button on the bottom of the TomTom
8) Boot the TomTom

Now that it's working, make a full backup of the card's contents using Explorer, not Home. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

And, if you do indeed have stuff on the internal unit itself, make an Explorer backup of that, too.

Ask a Question