SD Card error?Tom Tom Wont accept it..

Hey.

Im from Ireland and i bought a tom tom one xl here in America with the USA abd Canada map pre loaded on the Internal Memory card.

I want the Europe map for when i go home so i bought the map online and a generic sd 1mb card in Circut city.

The problem is that when i pusg the sd card into the tom tom slot it wont accept it... a sign comes up on the tom tom screen of the memory card with an x through it.. why is this????

I have the same error...

only I got this error after downloading an update.

And the system won't let me restore to the card. It's almost like TomTom doesn't recognize the card, even though my laptop can read all the files.

Any advice?

Have you written the system files to the SD card yet?

The problem is that when i pusg the sd card into the tom tom slot it wont accept it... a sign comes up on the tom tom screen of the memory card with an x through it.. why is this????

Just guessing that you haven't copied your TomTom's system files to the new card. Your TomTom will use the internal system files -OR- the SD card's files...one or the other. The error is telling you that it can't read the system files from the card.

Just guessing that you haven't copied your TomTom's system files to the new card. Your TomTom will use the internal system files -OR- the SD card's files...one or the other. The error is telling you that it can't read the system files from the card.

Yes, i think thats it..

How do i copy the tom tom system files? How many are there?

Yes, i think thats it..

How do i copy the tom tom system files? How many are there?

Do you have access to a card reader/writer on you PC? You have to be able to plug the card in somewhere other than into the TomTom. That's your first priority.

If you can use a card reader/writer, attach your TomTom to your PC via the USB cable and say "YES" when it asks if you want to connect. At that point, your PC operating system will see the TomTom as a USB drive that can be accessed for reads and writes. Simply copy all of the files on your TomTom to the new card.

If you get a message that the SD card needs to be formatted, you must be careful to ONLY format it as "FAT" or "FAT16". If you use any other format, the card will not be recognized by the TomTom operating system.

Once the copy is complete, you should be able to insert the card and install whatever map you choose. Remember that since you only have a 1GB card, you will have to REMOVE THE EXISTING MAP FIRST, or you won't have enough room on the card. Typically, a 2GB SD card is preferred. Also, note that your TomTom cannot use an SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) card of any size. The TomTom operating system will not allow it.

Ask a Question