Screen size dilemma

bwg

I am considering the purchase of the One IQ. I have a One version 2 at the moment and have always found the screen to be adequate even when selecting postcodes. I often wondered what the advantage was of the wider screen since when navigating you view what is in front (vertical size) rather than what is to either side. However I wonder if the XL version better suits the lane guidance system especially where lane arrows are shown in the status bar. Comments appreciated to help make my decision.

larger size

If your were able to afford it get the xl 340s This unit has most of the needed features. it is much easier to type with this size as is much better to see the screen. its really not to big and not too small.. The smaller version of this would be the the one 140S Mapshare and Lane guidence as well as 7 million pois are just of the few advantages. Both of these models have text to speach with I consider a necessity to any gps.

It obviously comes down to personal preference. I have had both 3.5 and 4.3 inch screens, including the 140S and the 340S. I decided that the 140S was perfectly adequate for me.

Personally, I don't find the extra map size worth the extra cost. I can see how the larger size keyboard might be worth it to some.

The only 4.3 inch screen GPS that I thought truly made a difference was the MIO C520. This was because of its split screen option where you could display a ton of information on the right hand side.

I went from the 3.5 Navigon 2100 screen up to the 4.3 XL 340S, I liked the bigger screen size, after looking at my fathers XLS, the unit is the same size as the 2100 and fits in the hard case I bought, I guess it all depends on your own preference.

If you are unsure, I would hit a store and check out the display models, even if they aren't the models you are looking for, and imagine how they will look in your vehicle, and proceed from there.

Last edited:
4.3" screen is much better than the smaller one. You won't regret choosing the larger screen. Makes things easier. You also get more viewing area of the map and features. You can fit more information on your status bar due to the wide screen. Go for the wide screen! :)

After owning a 3.5" then moving too a 4.3" I'll never look back, I'd even consider bigger models if they were available. For viewing I dont really consider the bigger screen all that important, but for typing in address or selecting cities or roads from a list sometime I have the hardest time. With the larger screen things have gotten a lot better.

Widescreen is pretty much on the top thing on MY list when looking into GPS units.

After owning a 3.5" then moving too a 4.3" I'll never look back, I'd even consider bigger models if they were available. For viewing I dont really consider the bigger screen all that important, but for typing in address or selecting cities or roads from a list sometime I have the hardest time. With the larger screen things have gotten a lot better.

Widescreen is pretty much on the top thing on MY list when looking into GPS units.

I agree 100% there

I also own a Magellan Maestro which has a 3.5" screen. For navigating and directions, the screen is perfect, but entering in an address is a bit more difficult due to the size in the letters on the screen.

Ask a Question